F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Strange Engine Whirring Noise at 70-75mph
GetBMWParts

03-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #23
mcnamaraharry
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d XDRIVE 2016

BMW f30 320d XDRIVE rear whine 60-72 mph

Hi,
I sound like i am having a similar issue!

Between 60-72mph under light to medium acceleration there is a loud whine noise coming from the back of the car (can not be heard when sitting close to the steering wheel), the noise goes instantly when the throttle is taken off, so not road or wind noise.

I took the car into BMW to check it over- which they came back and said they could not hear the noise but the tyre treads were odd which may have been affecting the XDRIVE (car bought from bmw dealer 2 months earlier). All four tyres replaced with no difference in noise (non runflats). I can only assume someone short was driving it on the test?

Car is going back into a different dealer next week as my new commute includes more travelling between 60-70, which is driving me insane!
The noise sounds like a machine gearbox whine, maybe some kind of harmonic going on at that speed?

I have had the same car previously and a hire car of the same model and both did not make this noise.

Has anyone had this issue and had it resolved so i have something to put against BMW when they potentially tell me theres no issue again? Much appreciated!

BMW f30 2016 320d XDRIVE 49,000 miles (noise has always been there from buying the car at 24,000)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #24
mcnamaraharry
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d XDRIVE 2016

Any help on this would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #25
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamaraharry View Post
Any help on this would be much appreciated
I know some of you will be skeptical but I had the same exact issue. I had used Techron (for different reasons) regularly. I wanted to try Royal Purple fuel system cleaner and the noise disappeared completely. Now I can hear the engine when I kick the throttle down. My own question is that I don't know if Techron and Royal Purple product that I used are exactly the same. Give it a shot because dealers won't do anything. I tried 4 different dealers and got no results. The last one even told me that they recorded the noise and sent it to BMW AG for analysis.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #26
kgmon
Total Scrub
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (2019), M2C (2021)

Garage List
Hey - did you ever get any resolution on this? I have the same issue on my recently purchased 440i (which I didn’t notice since I didn’t take it up to 70-80 during the test drive. Doh!)

The dealership was useless and said it is a characteristic of the car but its driving me crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
I'm glad I found your post, although it looks like you moved on to a new M340i.

I have the exact same whining noise occurring with every shift between 1700 and 2000 RPMs. The dealer foreman thinks it's just characters of the B58 drivetrain. It's annoying and I can hear it if I keep the RPMs in that range.

I already had a Transfers Case replaced for a while while coasting below 32 MPH at about 8000 miles, which sounded like a fire siren from a distance

Other than that, the car drives just fine. Were you able to ever find the root cause of the noise?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:32 PM   #27
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmon View Post
Hey - did you ever get any resolution on this? I have the same issue on my recently purchased 440i (which I didn’t notice since I didn’t take it up to 70-80 during the test drive. Doh!)

The dealership was useless and said it is a characteristic of the car but its driving me crazy!
Sadly, no. I also got the same answer. My dealer's shop foreman rode with me and said that it was characteristic of the B58.

My guess is that it is either the turbocharger or the ZF8 transmission. I did read somewhere that turbos do tend to whine and the most carmakers try hard to mask the noise. But a few of us seem to have the noise pumped into the cabin unfortunately. As with anything mass produced, I feel that many more owners have the noise and either don't notice or can't hear it.

Either way, it's present whether the car is hot or cold. And the tech said they can't find any codes to lead them to the cause. It is at least documented that I have this issue should anything become of it in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:33 PM   #28
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Same here, i went to two different Indy shops and got two different answers lol 🤷🏻*♂️. One said it kinda of sounds like my rear diff is going but not bad enough to replace and the second said its the tires from the Run-Flats. They both checked for Wheel Bearings, all good there...

Also the second shop i got both diffs fluid changed while there..
      08-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #29
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Did you mention possibly being the transfer case?

To add to my concern that it is transfer case, looking thru bimmerlink I found code

480AB5
Transfer case Long-term protection function requested by the LMV

Couldnt find much on it. It was not delete-able.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #30
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboi View Post
Did you mention possibly being the transfer case?

To add to my concern that it is transfer case, looking thru bimmerlink I found code

480AB5
Transfer case Long-term protection function requested by the LMV

Couldnt find much on it. It was not delete-able.
You know i was thinking that also, but to make sure i am going to have that fluid changed out very soon as the Indy shop i will be going to for future servicing is only doing that for: $150ish out the door, the shop will use Liqui Moly when its applicable as they did for my recent diff changes both front and back.