F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Chargepipe behavior
ARMA SPEED

06-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #23
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Anybody using the Turner motorsports charge pipe? It's an odd design where the top section of pipe, which mates to the throttle body, is aluminum, but the entire lower half of piping is silicon. Looks like every other brand is all- metal with a silicon coupling in the middle. I can't seem to find any reviews or discussions on it, good or bad.
Just took a look at it. That's interesting. Probably makes installation a bit easier!
I think it has to be easier to install, right? And if all cp are using silicon to some degree, obviously it's not prone to leaking in this application. But this one is the outlier compared to the rest of the choices. I may give it a try. Just debating whether to get an intercooler along with it or not.
      06-01-2020, 02:35 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam View Post
Quote:
I'm just a little confused that you ask for input, but seem to decide to ignore what people are saying. : You do you, though. GL.
You have to excuse me. I didn't realize that I was obliged to do what you think is best after giving consideration to all respondents. You may not have noticed, but all N55 owners on the planet have not responded to my inquiry. Just a handful. if this problem were to affect the majority of these cars both in and out of warranty, don't you think there would have been a recall by BMW?

And although the CP replacement is a reasonable DIY item, perhaps I would rather not like to do it at this time, unless critical, due to personal reasons. Or do I need to explain those to you for approval.
Don't sweat it, I asked the same reasonable question and some folks here wanted to nail me to a cross because I refuse to believe the OEM charge pipe would explode, ever thought I been running the same pipe for going into 4 years, with a Dinan Stage 1 N55.

It seems to be a touchy subject, for some strange reason :

You tell some people here you're on the fence about the need for an aluminum pipe replacement and they act like you stole their newborn or something.. Go figure..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26234423
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #25
jcarv20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Is the ER CP one solid piece? From the photos on their site its hard to tell, i'm assuming no because I see a silicone sleeve (whatever it's called).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #26
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarv20 View Post
Is the ER CP one solid piece? From the photos on their site its hard to tell, i'm assuming no because I see a silicone sleeve (whatever it's called).
No it is two pieces adjoined by silicon coupler in the middle. I have their charge pipe and turbo to intercooler pipe, both are 2 pieces with silicon in the middle. Happy with them and have had no issues on the charge pipe (20 months) or the TIC pipe (3 months)
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #27
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

BeerHerder was running bootmod3 stage 1 for months on stock CP, he did eventually replace it with ER I've FTP ready for install, waiting for the FMIC to arrive. Bootmod3 also on standby. Almost flashed it the other day but the idea of limp mode scared me off
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #28
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post

BeerHerder was running bootmod3 stage 1 for months on stock CP, he did eventually replace it with ER I've FTP ready for install, waiting for the FMIC to arrive. Bootmod3 also on standby. Almost flashed it the other day but the idea of limp mode scared me off
Chicken....

Also, as confirmed previously, ER CP is 2 pieces.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 07:46 PM   #29
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post

Chicken....

Also, as confirmed previously, ER CP is 2 pieces.
Haha. I don't have an X3 waiting as a backup 😄 Although I could use one of my girlfriend's cars.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 11:26 PM   #30
phdat28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Extremely necessary. Even on stock boost it'll blow. I just did mine and I already feel more comfortable, stage 1 will definitely blow the CP eventually. When it fails you'll likely be on limp mode and I wouldn't drive the car till it's fixed. When the CP blows it can throw out plastic shards that i've heard can damage your turbo
I have JB+ installed, 2016, n20, at 80k. Should I have my charge pipe replaced??????
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #31
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdat28 View Post
I have JB+ installed, 2016, n20, at 80k. Should I have my charge pipe replaced??????
From what I understand the N20's chargepipe is a better design and is less probable to fail, with just a JB+ you should be fine. Personally on the N20 i'd do it at stage 2 for peace of mind if you ever do go stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #32
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 2015 335xi

Quote:
Not all N55 owners on the planet are on this forum. Generally just ones that care enough about their cars to be interested in an online community with others with similar enthusiasm.

The recall process is pretty specific and complicated. Either ordered by the NHTSA or voluntarily enacted by the manufacturer due to imminent safety hazards. As some mentioned, there was apparently a design change at some point during the N55's lifecycle, and I assume BMW just decided they'd rather replace an inexpensive part on the handful of failures that wouldn't likely cause injury than issue an expensive recall to cover every vehicle that has that part. The average driver probably doesn't push their car nearly as much as most of us enthusiasts. The propensity for CP failure is likely much higher for us on the forums than the hundreds of thousands of BMW drivers who bought their cars for entirely different reasons.

I was just commenting because people took their time to give you input and insight (that you asked for), and you basically said "meh". Your personal reasons are what they are. Given your comment about "saving a few hundred bucks", I'd guess that funds have something to do with it. I think most would agree that rather than spending money on a tune first and then fix problems it causes, spend the money on making sure your car is solid and buttoned up first, and then start adding the go-fast parts.

We're just trying to give you some advice to save you from potential future headaches, advice that you specifically elicited. Ultimately, it's up to you to do whatever you want. It's your car, your money. Like I said, you do you. No skin off my nose. Just do us a favor, follow up and let us know if/when your stock CP blows. That'll be fun! GL
Since you were polite enough in your comments I'll direct you to my original questions. I was wondering about the need for a CP with Stage 1, as I already felt it necessary for Stage 2 or greater. I also did not indicate that I was considering it for a "no mod" car.

BTW, my personal reasons include a shoulder that is begging for replacement and can get mighty painful. I like to DIY but know that I'll pay dearly for doing this chore myself. Perhaps later, if shoulder improves or is replaced by surgery. I've already had the other shoulder replaced, so I know what I'm talking about.

Another BTW......BMW has issued an extended warranty to 100,000 mi for the N54 CP. But not the N55! I'd guess they know something that we are only guessing about.
      06-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #33
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Don't sweat it, I asked the same reasonable question and some folks here wanted to nail me to a cross because I refuse to believe the OEM charge pipe would explode, ever thought I been running the same pipe for going into 4 years, with a Dinan Stage 1 N55.

It seems to be a touchy subject, for some strange reason :

You tell some people here you're on the fence about the need for an aluminum pipe replacement and they act like you stole their newborn or something.. Go figure..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26234423
Thanks for your input/POV.
      06-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #34
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Since you were polite enough in your comments I'll direct you to my original questions. I was wondering about the need for a CP with Stage 1, as I already felt it necessary for Stage 2 or greater. I also did not indicate that I was considering it for a "no mod" car.

BTW, my personal reasons include a shoulder that is begging for replacement and can get mighty painful. I like to DIY but know that I'll pay dearly for doing this chore myself. Perhaps later, if shoulder improves or is replaced by surgery. I've already had the other shoulder replaced, so I know what I'm talking about.

Another BTW......BMW has issued an extended warranty to 100,000 mi for the N54 CP. But not the N55! I'd guess they know something that we are only guessing about.
No extended warranty will cover a car with a tune (unless you have a good relationship with dealer). For a stock car, you can safely get away with a stock CP.
The N54 is not an N55, comparing them won't get us very far. & we aren't guessing, use the search button and find how many stock CPs have broken
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #35
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No extended warranty will cover a car with a tune (unless you have a good relationship with dealer). For a stock car, you can safely get away with a stock CP.
The N54 is not an N55, comparing them won't get us very far. & we aren't guessing, use the search button and find how many stock CPs have broken
My point was that BMW likely extended the warranty on the N54 CP because of the frequency of failures on THAT engine, rather than the N55. And as for serching for failure stories, that has more to do with the size of the N55 community here as nobody goes out of their way to report on items and components that have NOT failed. There is no way of knowing how many good OEM CPs there are out there.

One of the factors that favors buying an aftermarket CP is that there is a half dozen companies that have designed and offer a CP now. They wouldn't be doing that if there was not a substantial market for the product.
      06-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #36
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My point was that BMW likely extended the warranty on the N54 CP because of the frequency of failures on THAT engine, rather than the N55. And as for serching for failure stories, that has more to do with the size of the N55 community here as nobody goes out of their way to report on items and components that have NOT failed. There is no way of knowing how many good OEM CPs there are out there.

One of the factors that favors buying an aftermarket CP is that there is a half dozen companies that have designed and offer a CP now. They wouldn't be doing that if there was not a substantial market for the product.
Yeah but at the same time the N55 is a newer engine, who knows maybe a recall will be offered within the next few years.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #37
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

"I'd like to save a few hundred bucks" is the exact reason why you're going to be stranded in the near future. The tow and headache alone is gonna make you wish you just did it. These CPs blow on stock boost... trust me just get it.

Also, if you decide to not do it and it blows, I ask kindly that you don't come here asking us what codes your car is throwing and for cheap fixes. Gotta pay to play brotha. BM3 stage 1 and CP. done.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #38
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
"I'd like to save a few hundred bucks" is the exact reason why you're going to be stranded in the near future. The tow and headache alone is gonna make you wish you just did it. These CPs blow on stock boost... trust me just get it.

Also, if you decide to not do it and it blows, I ask kindly that you don't come here asking us what codes your car is throwing and for cheap fixes. Gotta pay to play brotha. BM3 stage 1 and CP. done.
Problem is there are so many vendors on here trying to sell stuff that it's hard to know if the CP issue is really that common. They convinced me enough to buy one since its a DD... but I don't know if its really needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #39
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Not all N55 owners on the planet are on this forum. Generally just ones that care enough about their cars to be interested in an online community with others with similar enthusiasm.

The recall process is pretty specific and complicated. Either ordered by the NHTSA or voluntarily enacted by the manufacturer due to imminent safety hazards. As some mentioned, there was apparently a design change at some point during the N55's lifecycle, and I assume BMW just decided they'd rather replace an inexpensive part on the handful of failures that wouldn't likely cause injury than issue an expensive recall to cover every vehicle that has that part. The average driver probably doesn't push their car nearly as much as most of us enthusiasts. The propensity for CP failure is likely much higher for us on the forums than the hundreds of thousands of BMW drivers who bought their cars for entirely different reasons.

I was just commenting because people took their time to give you input and insight (that you asked for), and you basically said "meh". Your personal reasons are what they are. Given your comment about "saving a few hundred bucks", I'd guess that funds have something to do with it. I think most would agree that rather than spending money on a tune first and then fix problems it causes, spend the money on making sure your car is solid and buttoned up first, and then start adding the go-fast parts.

We're just trying to give you some advice to save you from potential future headaches, advice that you specifically elicited. Ultimately, it's up to you to do whatever you want. It's your car, your money. Like I said, you do you. No skin off my nose. Just do us a favor, follow up and let us know if/when your stock CP blows. That'll be fun! GL
Great points in your post. If a car manufacturer even considers a recall it is a completely financial decision that evaluates the risk to them including potential lawsuits if they decide not to do it. A big part of their calculations is how long they can play dumb and stall until the warranties run out. B58 began around 2016 so few N55's still under even extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #40
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboi View Post
Problem is there are so many vendors on here trying to sell stuff that it's hard to know if the CP issue is really that common. They convinced me enough to buy one since its a DD... but I don't know if its really needed.
What? Vendors have nothing to do with it, we're referring to the countless threads of people having boost leaks due to the chargepipe cracking or just rupturing as a whole. When that happens, you're stranded, all to save 200-300$
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #41
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
What? Vendors have nothing to do with it, we're referring to the countless threads of people having boost leaks due to the chargepipe cracking or just rupturing as a whole. When that happens, you're stranded, all to save 200-300$
I've only seen a few, and an equal number of people saying they have years of a tuned car on the stock CP.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #42
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

I forgot who it was a user on here mentioned that the stock CP fit better with the Wagner IC..
      06-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #43
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
"I'd like to save a few hundred bucks" is the exact reason why you're going to be stranded in the near future.
Not really; I keep a silicone coupler, clamps and tools, in my trunk, in case mines pop. I'm sure this will band-aid mines for a couple for at least a couple hundred miles, until the dealer replaces it for free.

I've been trying to get mines to blow, before the factory warranty expired but all that happens is I run out gas and have go back home and try later :

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate on the aluminum pipe upgrade, I'm sure for some that's running heavy boost, it's a requirement but just saying, a majority of owners still have their stock pipe, without any issues and it's not the end of world if it cracks.

I honestly rather this Mickey Mouse issue, with a plastic pipe breaking, over what the S55 guys have to deal with, where the crank hub bolt loosen and over spin the sprockets, causing engine damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #44
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
"I'd like to save a few hundred bucks" is the exact reason why you're going to be stranded in the near future.
Not really; I keep a silicone coupler, clamps and tools, in my trunk, in case mines pop. I'm sure this will band-aid mines for a couple for at least a couple hundred miles, until the dealer replaces it for free.

I've been trying to get mines to blow, before the factory warranty expired but all that happens is I run out gas and have go back home and try later :

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate on the aluminum pipe upgrade, I'm sure for some that's running heavy boost, it's a requirement but just saying, a majority of owners still have their stock pipe, without any issues and it's not the end of world if it cracks.

I honestly rather this Mickey Mouse issue, with a plastic pipe breaking, over what the S55 guys have to deal with, where the crank hub bolt loosen and over spin the sprockets, causing engine damage.
Mines ≠ mine.