F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Chargepipe behavior
ARMA SPEED

06-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #89
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboi View Post
I thought about that, but at $1000 their labor must be $500+

Update: dealer agreed to cover it!
No, I know a few buddies who had their original CP break and the dealer advised them to go aftermarket and would even install it for them for free. Saves the dealer money since all they cover is labor as opposed to the part + labor.

An aftermarket CP is 200$, that should be all your out of pocket costs but if you feel safer with OEM + don't feel like spending cash then keep the OEM one.

Glad they covered it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #90
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
No, I know a few buddies who had their original CP break and the dealer advised them to go aftermarket and would even install it for them for free. Saves the dealer money since all they cover is labor as opposed to the part + labor.

An aftermarket CP is 200$, that should be all your out of pocket costs but if you feel safer with OEM + don't feel like spending cash then keep the OEM one.

Glad they covered it.
I intend to replace it with aftermarket eventually but with how sketchy they were, I don't want to push my luck with going aftermarket.

Didn't want to drive 30 mins to the local euro shop with the pipe broke, either.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #91
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.
I intend to replace it with aftermarket eventually but with how sketchy they were, I don't want to push my luck with going aftermarket.

Didn't want to drive 30 mins to the local euro shop with the pipe broke, either.
Glad to hear they did the right thing in the end. Persistence is important in these situations. Often times the first guy who takes the call has no idea what you're talking about, so it helps if you can get part numbers and official oe part names. The charge pipe is called charge air duct in the repair manuals, for example. Somebody heard the word pipe and probably thought you had an exhaust leak and that was all they needed to hear to turn you down.
      06-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #92
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam View Post
I'm adding a BMS stage 1 to my F30 N55. Really don't think I'll do anything more than that for power. From what I've seen here, most guys want a chargepipe upgrade before going to a Stage 2 or more serious upgrade. But how necessary is a chargepipe upgrade for my Stage 1 mod???

Also, how does a chargepipe fail, and what happens when it fails?? Can the car run at all with a busted chargepipe or is it time to call Uber. I'd like to save a few hundred bucks but don't want to be stranded either.
Very necessary, it should be REQUIRED.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #93
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

I don't quite understand your thought process here. Your stock one blew, and we've established it's a known weak point. Aftermarket aluminum charge pipes solve the problem, yet you don't want to go aftermarket despite having just blown a stock plastic one?

Maybe you're mistaking the term "aftermarket" here. We're not talking about a knock-off part that replicates the genuine OEM part. An aftermarket chargepipe is an UPGRADE to the stock pipe in strength, durability, and airflow.

I just don't get how going with an aftermarket CP would be "pushing your luck".
      06-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #94
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

I don't quite understand your thought process here. Your stock one blew, and we've established it's a known weak point. Aftermarket aluminum charge pipes solve the problem, yet you don't want to go aftermarket despite having just blown a stock plastic one?

Maybe you're mistaking the term "aftermarket" here. We're not talking about a knock-off part that replicates the genuine OEM part. An aftermarket chargepipe is an UPGRADE to the stock pipe in strength, durability, and airflow.

It was pretty simple to me; free OEM piece, installed for free, over some aftermarket, heak-soaked, "knock-off" of the original.. :
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #95
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

It was pretty simple to me; free OEM piece, installed for free, over some aftermarket, heak-soaked, "knock-off" of the original.. :
I was responding to what he posted. What are you responding to, exactly? Who said anything about cost?
      06-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #96
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

I was responding to what he posted. What are you responding to, exactly? Who said anything about cost?
If you go back to his earlier threads, he claim the dealer was charging him $1,000 to have it replaced, even though he still had an active CPO warranty.

Aftermarket would of cost $500, give or take.

If he gets it replaced for free now, why ride his ass about him instead paying and "upgrading."

Some people don't care for an aluminum pipe, I, for one, have my reasons because of simple logic; aluminum retains heats more than plastic. It's not lost on me that aluminum is stronger and would never break but I rather the compromise of the plastic the OEM piece.

My OEM pipe could pop 10 times over and I will still keep the plastic piece, he has his reasons that he was vague about but why the sermon of going aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #97
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

If you go back to his earlier threads, he claim the dealer was charging him $1,000 to have it replaced, even though he still had an active CPO warranty.

If he gets it replace it for free now, why ride his ass about him instead paying and "upgrading."

Some people don't care for an aluminum pipe, I, for one, have my reasons because of simple logic; aluminum retains heats more than plastic. It's not lost on me that aluminum is strong and would never break but I rather the compromise of the plastic OEM piece.

My OEM pipe could pop 10 times over and I will still keep the plastic pipe, he has his reasons that he was vague about but why the sermon of going aftermarket?
To clarify, I'm not riding his ass. Re-read the specific post I was responding to and my subsequent response. I was merely trying to understand his thought process while conveying my confusion.

I don't know the specific thermal properties of an aluminum chargepipe vs. stock plastic, but metal has higher thermal conductivity and lower specific heat capacity than plastic, which is why heat sinks are usually (though not always) metal. That said, theoretically, a plastic pipe will RETAIN heat more than a metal one whereas the metal one will transfer heat better. I'm not an engineer or a physicist though, so how that might affect IATs at the throttle body is beyond me. My guess is that it's so marginal that it's basically a moot point.
      06-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #98
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

If he gets it replace it for free now, why ride his ass about him instead paying and "upgrading."

Some people don't care for an aluminum pipe, I, for one, have my reasons because of simple logic; aluminum retains heats more than plastic. It's not lost on me that aluminum is strong and would never break but I rather the compromise of the plastic OEM piece.

My OEM pipe could pop 10 times over and I will still keep the plastic pipe, he has his reasons that he was vague about but why the sermon of going aftermarket?
To clarify, I'm not riding his ass. Re-read the specific post I was responding to and my subsequent response. I was merely trying to understand his thought process while conveying my confusion.

I don't know the specific thermal properties of an aluminum chargepipe vs. stock plastic, but metal has higher thermal conductivity and lower specific heat capacity than plastic, which is why heat sinks are usually (though not always) metal. That said, theoretically, a plastic pipe will RETAIN heat more than a metal one whereas the metal one will transfer heat better. I'm not an engineer or a physicist though, so how that might affect IATs at the throttle body is beyond me. My guess is that it's so marginal that it's basically a moot point.

We're never going to see eye to eye on this; you believe those like me, who stick with the stock pipe are idiots because we're risking potential failure.

And I believe those that install an aluminum, unless they're already pushing heavy boost pressure, are wasting power potential by the heat-soak.

The medium is we respect each other's decision to go either way, as long as they know what they risking and most do.

I have five different ways of summoning different roadside assistances; I can have all of them show up at once, if my charge pipe pops and we can all have a party, before they tow my car to the dealer and have them replace it for free. So it's an understatement to say it doesn't really worry me that much and others that might be resourceful, in the event of failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #99
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

We're never going to see eye to eye on this; you believe those like me, who stick with the stock pipe are idiots because we're risking potential failure.

And I believe those that install an aluminum, unless they're already pushing heavy boost pressure, are wasting power potential by the heat-soak.

The medium is we respect each other's decision to go either way, as long as they know what they risking and most do.

I have five different ways of summoning different roadside assistances; I can have all of them show up at once, if my charge pipe pops and we can all have a party, before they tow my car to the dealer and have them replace it for free. So it's an understatement to say it doesn't really worry me that much and others that might be resourceful, in the event of failure.
I agree.

Btw, I don't think you're an idiot, FWIW. Like you said, differences of opinion. I appreciate the discourse.
Poochie9104.50
      06-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #100
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Quote:
Buy an aftermarket CP and get your dealer to potentially install it for you since they'd need to replace the POS plastic one anywho.
I thought about that, but at $1000 their labor must be $500+

Update: dealer agreed to cover it!
I think he meant if they are replacing it under warranty then maybe they can install the aftermarket CP supplied by you for no cost. Another member had it done while he got the engine replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #101
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

i just got a FLIR camera, i still have my OEM CP on, buy my an ER one and lets do science!
Appreciate 1
jh_f301306.00
      06-20-2020, 11:31 AM   #102
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Glad they covered it.

i just got a FLIR camera, i still have my OEM CP on, buy my an ER one and lets do science!
No thanks, I much rather go watch paint dry
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #103
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:

I do intend to go aftermarket, just not with this dealer.

I was concerned about driving to the independent shop for an aftermarket pipe because I didn't want the engine to ingest any plastic bits on the way there. Now I have a working pipe and can go aftermarket when I feel like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
I think he meant if they are replacing it under warranty then maybe they can install the aftermarket CP supplied by you for no cost. Another member had it done while he got the engine replaced under warranty.
Yep I understand. They were just not that friendly and I highly doubt they will OK that. I may ask on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #104
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was concerned about driving to the independent shop for an aftermarket pipe because I didn't want the engine to ingest any plastic bits on the way there. Now I have a working pipe and can go aftermarket when I feel like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Yep I understand. They were just not that friendly and I highly doubt they will OK that. I may ask on Monday.
Gotcha. Glad you got it sorted.
Poochie9104.50
      06-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #105
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

You should ask, believe it or not before my CP even broke my dealer advised me to go aftermarket and my dealer is by no means a "chill" dealer about mods. I know if I did anything else that's the end of my warranty. But they told me for peace of mind they'll support anyone going aftermarket on the CP, they know it's a very common breaking point and see it all the time. The good thing is, you'll have your car back in working order soon and hopefully it did not ingest plastic. (another good reason to go aftermarket)

P.S to the argument above, heat soaking would be extremely minimal and is not even an argument factor, if you feel like OEM suits you, go oem. If you like aftermarket go aftermarket. Everyone has their own preferences and their own cars. This will always be a debate and I think we can put out hundreds of pages of opinions lol.
Appreciate 2
tardboi82.50
Poochie9104.50
      06-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #106
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You should ask, believe it or not before my CP even broke my dealer advised me to go aftermarket and my dealer is by no means a "chill" dealer about mods.
Most, if not every single one of them, would not be cool with installing aftermarket parts, unless it's sanctioned by BMW, even if such part is subjectively better. If you can find one, that's a unicorn..

OEM is what they know and most importantly, that's the terms of them getting reimbursed from BMW AG.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #107
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 2015 335xi

OP just installed the FTP charge pipe, but.......

OK. Using my buddy's lift we installed the FTP charge pipe a few days ago. It fits well but what a PITA getting the old out and the new in! The OEM pipe had no damage.

But BAD news... a mile up the road the The malfunction screen turns on and performance dips. Restarting the car cleared it, but when the car is accelerated moderately it returns. What to do? What to do?

I checked over everything that can be seen from above and all looks great.

Advice???
Attached Images

07-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #108
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OK. Using my buddy's lift we installed the FTP charge pipe a few days ago. It fits well but what a PITA getting the old out and the new in! The OEM pipe had no damage.

But BAD news... a mile up the road the The malfunction screen turns on and performance dips. Restarting the car cleared it, but when the car is accelerated moderately it returns. What to do? What to do?

Advice???
Do you have the ability to pull codes?
      07-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #109
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Advice???
+1 on pulling codes, any obvious sounds of loud air hissing when under throttle?

Did you tighten clamps? Place an O- Ring on each side?

Any play in the CP?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #110
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Advice???
+1 on pulling codes, any obvious sounds of loud air hissing when under throttle?

Did you tighten clamps? Place an O- Ring on each side?

Any play in the CP?
Also, sensor was plugged back in properly?