F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Wheel bearing failure 335d?
ARMA SPEED

10-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Make sure the build up of rust on the outer edge of the disc isn't making contact with the back plate.

Sometimes the back plate can become knocked/ distorted / damaged and cause a similar noise if it makes contact with the disc outer edge, often when cornering.

I had a Lexus bearing replaced, the noise didnt go and it really was that simple.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #24
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
However if it has no bearing (excuse the pun) on the fault it goes in for repair they cant really refuse any warranty claim.
I was going to use the pun earlier too

Guess I’m just slightly cynical about insurance trying to get out of paying. I’d still use the dealer tho!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #25
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

As has been commented on above, they don't just change the bearing these days - the complete hub is changed and hence the higher cost. My dad had the same recently on his XC60. Less than 50k miles and both front bearings shot.

Volvo charged around £750 for the pair so that price seems consistent with major main dealer pricing.

Might be worth asking an Indy if intends to press the bearings out as opposed to just replacing the whole hub. Pair of wheel bearings (inner and outer) is no more than £50 from an engineering company and not much difference in labour cost to change.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #26
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
My dad had the same recently on his XC60. Less than 50k miles and both front bearings shot.
On the face of it that's just abysmal! Going back over 20 years I had company Cavaliers and Mondeos that did over 100k miles without needing any wheel bearing replacements so for two to go at less than 50k miles implies parts that are just badly engineered and not up to the job (unless of course your dad does a lot of off-roading in his XC60! ).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
That's interesting and has confirmed I'm going to do the tyres first! The rears aren't as low as 2mm but are probably down to 3mm (and therefore less than half what's on the fronts as they're nearly new).

Many a wheel bearing has been changed when it is tyres that are at fault. If there is a bit of 'heel and toe' tread wear, it can often get a whine as the tread depth reduces.

Sometimes even the best of mechanics get it wrong. I'd be tempted to change the tyres if it was me, and wasn't obvious it was definitely a wheel bearing.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
On the face of it that's just abysmal! Going back over 20 years I had company Cavaliers and Mondeos that did over 100k miles without needing any wheel bearing replacements so for two to go at less than 50k miles implies parts that are just badly engineered and not up to the job (unless of course your dad does a lot of off-roading in his XC60! ).
Wheel bearings get a hard life these days, particularly if you drive roads with broken and/poor surfaces. My son had his Transit van recovered this week with a suspected wheel bearing failure, besides the noise it messed the braking. Recovery guy said it is very common for premature failures, due to the poor roads we are driving up here.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #29
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Many a wheel bearing has been changed when it is tyres that are at fault. If there is a bit of 'heel and toe' tread wear, it can often get a whine as the tread depth reduces.

Sometimes even the best of mechanics get it wrong. I'd be tempted to change the tyres if it was me, and wasn't obvious it was definitely a wheel bearing.
Tyres already ordered via Blackcircles and scheduled to be fitted next Tuesday!

I'm certainly not a mechanic but the noise I'm getting doesn't sound like any worn wheel bearing I've ever heard so I'm hoping changing the tyres will do the trick; if it doesn't I may have to bite the bullet with the wheel bearing change but I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #30
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
As has been commented on above, they don't just change the bearing these days - the complete hub is changed and hence the higher cost. My dad had the same recently on his XC60. Less than 50k miles and both front bearings shot.

Volvo charged around £750 for the pair so that price seems consistent with major main dealer pricing.

Might be worth asking an Indy if intends to press the bearings out as opposed to just replacing the whole hub. Pair of wheel bearings (inner and outer) is no more than £50 from an engineering company and not much difference in labour cost to change.
The prices I advised earlier on the thread (£200 OEM or £100 non OEM) were for the complete hub and bearings. Just the bearing start from about £30 I guess
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      10-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #31
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

Is the noise apparent straight away each time you use the car or does it take some time before you hear it?

I’m changing rear tyres this weekend for a similar reason. I hear a rumble which only starts after a few miles at speeds above 65mph -ish. But once it starts, it’s there at all speeds until the car has been parked up for some hours.

20 miles on A roads going to work isn’t enough to trigger it. (50 to 60mph –ish)

Cars done nearly 120k.

I've already had rear disks and pads changed (needed them changing) but the noise was there before these were changed.
It's just had an mot. I would think (hope?) a wheel bearing fault would be picked up during mot?

Just replacing the tyres would be a nice fix.
      10-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #32
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
Is the noise apparent straight away each time you use the car or does it take some time before you hear it?

I’m changing rear tyres this weekend for a similar reason. I hear a rumble which only starts after a few miles at speeds above 65mph -ish. But once it starts, it’s there at all speeds until the car has been parked up for some hours.

20 miles on A roads going to work isn’t enough to trigger it. (50 to 60mph –ish)

Cars done nearly 120k.

I've already had rear disks and pads changed (needed them changing) but the noise was there before these were changed.
It's just had an mot. I would think (hope?) a wheel bearing fault would be picked up during mot?

Just replacing the tyres would be a nice fix.
The whine is evident immediately from a cold start once a speed of around 40mph is reached; as the speed rises it then seems to disappear but I suspect it's more a case of it being masked by other things such as wind and road noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:49 AM   #33
Chris335dF31
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F31

Had both rear bearings replaced at 91k under extended warranty. Only paid £250 excess but bill would have been £850.

No play in bearings they were just noisy - drone at higher speeds.
335d F31 MSport 2017 - Sapphire Black
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 04:38 AM   #34
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Are you running spacers on the car?

Spacers are the number one enemy for wheel bearings, they can massively alter the loadings that the bearings see.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #35
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
I once ran some Falkens down to 2mm of tread and for the last year or so the whine became increasingly louder. Sounded just like a wheel bearing. As you say, if the tyres are nearing the end of their life maybe that’s the way to go first.
I'd agree with that.

On an e39 years ago that had COntinental tyres on, they were almost down to the wear markers and would make a noise exactly like a wheel bearing failure. Would starting whining about 35mph and would stay constant (like a wheel bearing does) any speed above that. Would get slightly less when cornering as well, which made it seem even more like a wheel bearing. New tyres and noise was gone.

If the OP needs new tyres anyway, nothing to loose by changing them first and see what happens.
      10-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Another pointer to trouble shooting tyres vs. wheel bearings; tyres often change the note/pitch when the road surface changes, bearings will be pretty constant.

I'm the sort of guy whole is always on the alert to new sounds and vibrations, in any vehicle. Anything that seems to hint at bearings has to be explained. My summer tyres are now about 4 - 5mm and starting to get a bit noisy on rougher surfaces. I've recently thought it seems a bit like a bearing at the rear, but as soon as I'm on a smooth surface, noise is gone. Definitely a tyre induced sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #37
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

I’m having winter tyres put on a 18” spare wheel set I have for the F30 335d.

I was going to use the fronts from that set to do the test tomorrow on the E90 which has the problem. (Same tyre width).

I’ve just realised, the E90 has 17” wheels.

It's going to look really odd with 17’s on the front, 18’s on the rear and the wheel styles are totally different...
      10-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #38
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
I’m having winter tyres put on a 18” spare wheel set I have for the F30 335d.

I was going to use the fronts from that set to do the test tomorrow on the E90 which has the problem. (Same tyre width).

I’ve just realised, the E90 has 17” wheels.

It's going to look really odd with 17’s on the front, 18’s on the rear and the wheel styles are totally different...
I don't think your insurance will be happy about that
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #39
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
I don't think your insurance will be happy about that
No different really from having a totally different size space saver spare on when you get a flat.
      10-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #40
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
No different really from having a totally different size space saver spare on when you get a flat.

I think with a space saver you drive with restrictions having 2 totally different wheels and tyre sizes could be classed as changes to the spec I could be wrong but be careful.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #41
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
On an e39 years ago that had COntinental tyres on, they were almost down to the wear markers and would make a noise exactly like a wheel bearing failure. Would starting whining about 35mph and would stay constant (like a wheel bearing does) any speed above that. Would get slightly less when cornering as well, which made it seem even more like a wheel bearing. New tyres and noise was gone.

If the OP needs new tyres anyway, nothing to lose by changing them first and see what happens.
That's basically my thinking and the new rears will be fitted on Tuesday morning; if the noise disappears then happy days but if not it looks like a replacement wheel bearing will be required.

As a slight aside, I was given an F31 320d Shadow Edition S-Drive as a courtesy car and two observations. Firstly, it confirmed my suspicion that the turning circle of the X-Drive is indeed larger; the S-Drive was noticeably easier to manoeuvre in tight spaces and on my drive so a definite negative against X-Drive there.

Secondly, although I think the 35d lacks the refinement of the 35i or 40i petrols, my god it's on a different planet from the 20d; that really is a bit of a clunky lump to sit behind IMO but if nothing else the experience has made me appreciate my own car a bit more!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #42
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Brief update, new rear tyres fitted today (which were getting due anyway) but sadly the noise persists; looks like it is indeed a wheel bearing then and car booked-in to have the work done the week after next.

It is at least covered under the extended warranty albeit I'll have to pay my £250 excess; just hope the replacement solves the problem as I won't be happy if having forked-out for my excess the noise is still there!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #43
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Brief update, new rear tyres fitted today (which were getting due anyway) but sadly the noise persists; looks like it is indeed a wheel bearing then and car booked-in to have the work done the week after next.

It is at least covered under the extended warranty albeit I'll have to pay my £250 excess; just hope the replacement solves the problem as I won't be happy if having forked-out for my excess the noise is still there!
Surely once you've paid the £250 excess then that's it until the problem is sorted regardless of what work needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:38 AM   #44
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Surely once you've paid the £250 excess then that's it until the problem is sorted regardless of what work needs to be done.
You'd certainly like to think so and in the event a replacement wheel bearing doesn't solve the problem I'll be saying it's up to them to keep going at their expense until it's sorted!

However, it seems some dealers are prepared to try it on - see post number 7 in the thread below!

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1544192
Appreciate 0