F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > F30 - Depo Headlight Install
proTUNING Freaks

07-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, G05 X5 xDrive50i

F30 - Depo Headlight Install

Guys - Hoping for some help.

I finally got my hands on a new set of Depo projector headlights with LED angel eyes to replace my stock halogens. I bought an HID retrofit kit as well.

I am located in Boston and feel more than comfortable doing this install myself, but don't have a garage/driveway and refuse to pull my bumper off in the street (this was ok for my subaru but no so much for the bimmer )

I've reached out to two local BMW/Audi focused shops and one refused and the other won't even respond. The shop who refused just said they've had too many issues with aftermarket headlights in the past so they've stopped doing them.

I don't want to go to a everyday body shop and hoping to get some good, local recommendations. Can anybody help me out?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but since they would probably have the most experience they could just charge you for a standard Headlight replacement.

Have you tried a BMW dealership??
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmadown115 View Post
I know this sounds counter intuitive, but since they would probably have the most experience they could just charge you for a standard Headlight replacement.

Have you tried a BMW dealership??
BMW told me they only install OEM BMW parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
F30-XP-DM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diirek View Post
Guys - Hoping for some help.

I finally got my hands on a new set of Depo projector headlights with LED angel eyes to replace my stock halogens. I bought an HID retrofit kit as well.

I am located in Boston and feel more than comfortable doing this install myself, but don't have a garage/driveway and refuse to pull my bumper off in the street (this was ok for my subaru but no so much for the bimmer )

I've reached out to two local BMW/Audi focused shops and one refused and the other won't even respond. The shop who refused just said they've had too many issues with aftermarket headlights in the past so they've stopped doing them.

I don't want to go to a everyday body shop and hoping to get some good, local recommendations. Can anybody help me out?
If you're willing to travel to Peabody.. Fastrack is very knowledgeable and capable. I have a buddy who has had several retrofits done through them, all with great success.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30-XP-DM View Post
If you're willing to travel to Peabody.. Fastrack is very knowledgeable and capable. I have a buddy who has had several retrofits done through them, all with great success.
Thanks! I'll check them out
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Ended up having a local body shop in Boston put them in for me. $150 for labor and obviously picked up the same day. AtoZ auto on Commonwealth Ave. Couldn't be happier.

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diirek View Post
Ended up having a local body shop in Boston put them in for me. $150 for labor and obviously picked up the same day. AtoZ auto on Commonwealth Ave. Couldn't be happier.

[IMG][/IMG]
That looks really good. Few questions:

Do you have before and after pics?
How about some night shots to show the pattern?
How much did everything cost you to do the retrofit? (I have someone who is interested in doing the same)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmadown115 View Post
That looks really good. Few questions:

Do you have before and after pics?
How about some night shots to show the pattern?
How much did everything cost you to do the retrofit? (I have someone who is interested in doing the same)
Here is a before of the stock halogen lights... Daytime running lights are not on in the pic, not horrible looking when they are on but the stock low-beam reflector style lamps suck balls. The angel eyes in the new headlights are used as DRL's, so they are always on (they dim a little when the lowbeams are turned on). New lowbeams are projector style instead of reflectors.

[IMG][/IMG]

No night shots yet - I have a lowbeam HID retrofit kit and am waiting on some bulb clip adapters for a hassle free installation. I haven't aimed the low beams yet because there's no need to do it twice. I don't usually drive at night and with the days still being so long I never need to turn on the lowbeams. This is a link to another thread discussing this in detail tho...

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1459304

Depo headlights and HIDs were purchased through Umnitza out of CA.
Headlights were $570ish shipped in the HID kit was $130ish. All in I'm somewhere around $850 with installation.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #9
n_maher
Rep
Drives: '15 328i

Thanks for the additional details. It looks great and is pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do to my car this fall. One question, if I could - where'd you get the black double-spoke kidney grills from?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
Diirek
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
Thanks for the additional details. It looks great and is pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do to my car this fall. One question, if I could - where'd you get the black double-spoke kidney grills from?
Thanks. Kidney grill was my first mod - cheap and easy. Got in on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077JY5BFT?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
Appreciate 1