F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Upgraded to KW V3 after 125.000 km on stock suspension
ARMA SPEED

01-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #1
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Upgraded to KW V3 after 125.000 km on stock suspension

I've been driving my F30 330d on stock suspension since I purchased it with 3700kms on the clock. In December 2020, that same clock just turned over to 125.000kms so I guess it was about time to swap out the old suspension for new ones. 😬
The rear right shock was already leaking some fluids and the rest weren't too far either. Ever since I saw some M2s and M3s on KW coilovers I knew I have to go that route too.
So I decided I needed KW, but which one... I'm the type of guy who don't like to go 10% into things, so I thought the hell with it, I either go with V3 or just replace them with OEM ones.

So I sent my order request to the local tuning shop and surprisingly the kit arrived in a week.

I left the car there on Thursday night and went to pick it up the next day. I was super excited to say the least... We pulled up to the shop in my girlfriend's car and there she was, sitting pretty... low. But it looked amazing. At first I thought it is too low (still think it a bit), but got used to it, and it is crazy how much it transformed the car. Like a brand new one.

I know the comparison is a bit odd since the old ones were basically done, a "miracle" they lasted this long, but as they say the difference is night and day. I complained so much about the steering and the body roll. At higher speeds (160km/h+) the car just wondered around bumps, it was actually scary sometimes, now even at 200km/h she feels planted and crazy stable. I could drive with one hand easily at those speeds. In corners she stays flat and the body roll is almost gone, I cannot be happier. Like I said a brand new car.

I was thinking a lot whether to drop the ball on the suspensions since they are a bit pricey, I got them for ~1950€ + labor, and we are talking about a 330d (diesel in the era of electronic cars and vehicles like the iX ) with 125.000km+ in it, but this engine is so well put together it can easily last another 125k and even more, especially now that she was called back by BMW to replace the EGR cooler. Plus I got new seats from a M2 Competition, so for me the car is now pretty much complete. Just need a small retouch on the front bumper and maybe new wheels, and done.

For those who are thinking about getting the V3 to swap their OEM ones: Do it! I love mine, I think it was the best investment. I love my car even more now. It not only drives amazing, but looks 10 times better. The ride is a bit rough at some times, but to be honest, I haven't played around with the settings yet, I just left it at what the shop set it to. At higher speeds (160-200km/h+) it is just crazy to me, so planted and stable, crazy good. Time for some Nürburgring laps.

Enjoy some photos I shot when the winter weather was actually nice and sunny. I still need some spacers in the front, at the rear I currently have 15mm, I'm guessing 10mm would do fine in the front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      01-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great decision to purchase KW V3 coilovers. Your car looks great, although for purely practical reasons - entering and exiting parking ramps - the suspension is a bit low for my preferences.

Ignoring my preferences, what is the suspension height? Minimum setting or lower?

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great decision to purchase KW V3 coilovers. Your car looks great, although for purely practical reasons - entering and exiting parking ramps - the suspension is a bit low for my preferences.

Ignoring my preferences, what is the suspension height? Minimum setting or lower?

Thanks for sharing!
Yeah I think so too. thanks, it is low, but I haven't really had any troubles yet, although here in Germany we don't have big ramps and stuff, I just need to slow down a bit more, compared to the OEM setup.

It isn't set to the lowest/minimum setting, it can go lower for sure, I don't quite know the settings. I'll soon add spacers, then I'll measure it properly, but I did however some measurements before switching to the KWs - measured from the ground to the fender line - all around it was around 67-68cm, now it is 64, so it was dropped around 30-40mm.
Appreciate 0