F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Installation of M Performance Exhaust for F30
Studio RSR

07-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Installation of M Performance Exhaust for F30

Can anyone recommend where in the Bay area can I get a m performance exhaust (Around SF) installed. Does it have to be installed at a dealership to ensure warranty.

finally any dealership that can help with the install that others would recommend and how much would you estimate as the cost?

Last edited by trooper1414; 07-20-2018 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are you worried about the exhaust or the car? As long as it's installed properly, you won't have a problem with the car warranty. Even the exhaust would be covered by a 2 year warranty. It doesn't have to be done at BMW. As long as it's done properly and any subsequent damage is unrelated to the install, you'll be fine.

Anyway, do you have much warranty left on your 328i? Generally it's highly unlikely there will be any problems with an exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Are you worried about the exhaust or the car? As long as it's installed properly, you won't have a problem with the car warranty. Even the exhaust would be covered by a 2 year warranty. It doesn't have to be done at BMW. As long as it's done properly and any subsequent damage is unrelated to the install, you'll be fine.

Anyway, do you have much warranty left on your 328i? Generally it's highly unlikely there will be any problems with an exhaust.
Yes I believe I still have a few months left on the car. Do you have a recommendation of who can install.

Also how many hours of labor would they charge?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are you Northern or Southern CA?

Installing an exhaust is extremely simple. It shouldn't take more than an hour for a mechanic. I'd assume the whole job should definitely be under $100.

You might have to buy a clamp though which would be another $60 or so. Clamping would make sense if you want to sell it later, but you'd also want to keep your stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Are you Northern or Southern CA?

Installing an exhaust is extremely simple. It shouldn't take more than an hour for a mechanic. I'd assume the whole job should definitely be under $100.

You might have to buy a clamp though which would be another $60 or so. Clamping would make sense if you want to sell it later, but you'd also want to keep your stock exhaust.
Sorry - put in bay area in my original post (Around SF). Also does the m performance exhaust if bought new from BMW not come with a clamp. Finally any recommendations on shops nearby.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Actually you're right, it does come with a clamp. So you'd just pay for the install.

Only decent shop I know of is in Dublin. Edge Motorworks.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

It is super easy to do to be honest. If you go down a bit I put a few quotes I got while I was shopping around. Ended up doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #8
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

So what are the risks of not getting it done at a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1414 View Post
So what are the risks of not getting it done at a dealership?
With this, not much actually. It's a BMW part and they can't really void warranty if it's installed correctly. But it's really hard to install this incorrectly imo. But if you would rather pay that money and get it done that way, then it's up to you obviously. Some people just value that peace of mind and not having to do it.

MPE install was the first time me working on the car with ANYTHING and it went smoothly. Just watch videos and read instructions and stuff before actually doing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Virtually no risk. I can't imagine anything you could do to mess up your car. Maybe the worst thing is that you might scratch your exhaust if you drop it.

If you do decide to tackle this yourself, try to get a friend to help hold the exhaust up while you install it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #11
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

There is very little, if any risk on the install. I am just south of the city and got mine installed at a small mechanic shop in South City for $150. Most places I got quotes at were charging about $150-$400(I simply laughed at the guy and hung up).

You might be able to find an independent shop willing to do it for less in the East Bay, but around SF and the Peninsula, prices were mostly in the $200 range. Also because the exhaust needs to be cut, a lot of small mechanic shops can't (or won't) work on it because it's not a bolt on. I drove to two shops who both told me they could do it, to waste an hour of my time after the car was on the lift and they said, oh we can't.

Most important thing is to make sure they cut it at the factory dimple. Go check out South City Muffler. He seemed like a very reputable guy (great yelp reviews too). I was in a hurry, and he was booked so ended up getting it installed at another local shop.
      07-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #12
trooper1414
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCZ4 View Post
There is very little, if any risk on the install. I am just south of the city and got mine installed at a small mechanic shop in South City for $150. Most places I got quotes at were charging about $150-$400(I simply laughed at the guy and hung up).

You might be able to find an independent shop willing to do it for less in the East Bay, but around SF and the Peninsula, prices were mostly in the $200 range. Also because the exhaust needs to be cut, a lot of small mechanic shops can't (or won't) work on it because it's not a bolt on. I drove to two shops who both told me they could do it, to waste an hour of my time after the car was on the lift and they said, oh we can't.

Most important thing is to make sure they cut it at the factory dimple.
thank you for your detailed response. I will shop around...btw is the exhaust worth it...I was talking to someone today and he mentioned you will be very disappointed with the exhausted and called it a waste of money...so that made me doubt my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #13
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep

Well, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to make your 328i sound like an M3 comp pack, then first that will never happen and second, this won't get you even close. This will be decently loud from outside so that it's obvious that it's not a stock exhaust, but also very civil enough that the cabin won't be loud at all or anything like that. On sport mode while manual shifting, I still do hear pops on upshift but it is rather faint.

I am definitely loving the throaty tone around 1.5~3k rpm but over that, there's really not much difference in noise. At higher rpms, I don't think it made much difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
thank you for your detailed response. I will shop around...btw is the exhaust worth it...I was talking to someone today and he mentioned you will be very disappointed with the exhausted and called it a waste of money...so that made me doubt my purchase.
It sounds like the European models are MUCH quieter than American versions.

In addition, people who generally get aftermarket exhausts want something really loud. If you just want something with a little more grunt but not too annoying, the MPE probably is the perfect one to get.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #15
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

Quote:
At the end of the day, it depends on what you're looking to achieve. I wanted a little extra noise, but nothing to piss my neighbors, and nothing that screamed boy racer. I also drive my toddler to school everyday, so there's that. Although he's grow to like the sound of my exhaust

I'll be honest, if I didn't have a convertible, I would probably think it was a little too quiet. Top down, the MPE is glorious. But it's probably similar to driving with the windows rolled down. I was debating hard about the MPE or the AWE, but I'm glad I went the MPE route, since I wanted something a bit more subdued. I also like the fact that it retains the valve to open and close the exhaust in comfort or sport. BTW cold start is still pretty darn loud, but settles down after a few minutes. Our N26 motors are also a little bit quieter because of the additional muffler/cat.

Is it expensive for just an axle back bolt on? Yes. But is it worth it? At $800-$900 on ebay I think it's worth it. I would never pay dealership prices though.
      07-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #16
didisinned
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i

i got a few quotes in south bay, around $120 for labor for the install @ World Muffler's in Sunnyvale

http://www.yelp.com/biz/world-mufflers-sunnyvale

Prob will ge the M Performance exhaust in december though, let me know how the install goes
Appreciate 0