F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Investments
GetBMWParts

02-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #1
GT_Man
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series GT

Investments

Hey guys, hoping to get an investment thread started so everyone can chit chat on previous investments, wins, loses, future investments. Maybe help other forum members out too, youngsters like myself.

So ill start as I created the thread, nothing major as im quite new to investing but have a few stocks and shares
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      02-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10

This forum is the antichrist for investments lol

But for me.. the usual ISA and Property
Appreciate 2
gangzoom1685.00
      02-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Cocaine or medical grade marijuana.
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Time in the market is better than trying to time the market. Drip feed cash into stocks/shares/funds on a monthly basis.

Off the top of my head, some funds that I have held over the years:

JPM Natural Resources, stellar a long time back then years of losses although I have bought low during that period.

JPM emerging markets - I've seen very good returns from this over the last few years

Invesco Perpetual Latin America - way down on its highs. A fund focused on this continent could be a good buy if you believe it will turn around long term.

Fidelity Japan - going very well recently and it's a major market that still feels undervalued.

I've added a few new funds to my ongoing investments this year - Man GLG Japan Core Alpha, Newton Global Income, Franklin UK Midcap, Fidelity Global Technology, Lindsey Train Global Equity, FP Crux European Special Situations, Legg Mason IF Japan Equity. Apologies for the long list, they have all been recommended in various places and match my risk appetite and sectors that I wanted to increase my exposure to.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
rich100874.50
2JPW55.50
      02-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Time in the market is better than trying to time the market. Drip feed cash into stocks/shares/funds on a monthly basis.

JPM Natural Resources, stellar a long time back then years of losses although I have bought low during that period.

JPM emerging markets - I've seen very good returns from this over the last few years

Invesco Perpetual Latin America - way down on its highs. A fund focused on this continent could be a good buy if you believe it will turn around long term.

Fidelity Japan - going very well recently and it's a major market that still feels undervalued.

I've added a few new funds to my ongoing investments this year - Man GLG Japan Core Alpha, Newton Global Income, Franklin UK Midcap, Fidelity Global Technology, Lindsey Train Global Equity, FP Crux European Special Situations, Legg Mason IF Japan Equity. Apologies for the long list, they have all been recommended in various places and match my risk appetite and sectors that I wanted to increase my exposure to.
That's a lot of different things to invest in - either you are doing a little into each to spread risk or you are stashing a fair chunk each month!

Last edited by isleaiw1; 02-14-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

That's a lot of different things to invest in - either you are doing a little into each to spread risk or you are stashing a fair chunk each month!
Trying to save as much as possible into the pension right now, and for the past few years, as well as a stocks and shares ISA.

You're right about it being a long list, split between the two places (no one fund appears in both places).

I see the pension as very long term (obvious), the ISA as medium or long term and up for closing portions if in profit and the money is needed.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Trying to save as much as possible into the pension right now, and for the past few years, as well as a stocks and shares ISA.

You're right about it being a long list, split between the two places (no one fund appears in both places).

I see the pension as very long term (obvious), the ISA as medium or long term and up for closing portions if in profit and the money is needed.
I probably should up the amount into ISA - been paying down the mortgage on the investment property as interest tax allowability is being withdrawn but probably going to sell that in next 12 months so starting a regular payment into an ISA sounds logical.

15% of my salary per month goes into my pension and I can't really add more for tax reasons.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontinentia Buttocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Man View Post
Hey guys, hoping to get an investment thread started so everyone can chit chat on previous investments, wins, loses, future investments. Maybe help other forum members out too, youngsters like myself.

So ill start as I created the thread, nothing major as im quite new to investing but have a few stocks and shares
I would concentrate on buying collectives rather than individual stocks as that will spread your risk. I would use a platform to invest. I use HĹ, not the cheapest but the research is excellent.

Start with a UK equity growth fund.

Agree with the choice of HL as a platform, excellent information and a brilliant app.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Time in the market is better than trying to time the market.
How about this example?

I invested in a new company back in 1980, sold in 2015. Return was over 827% for the period. Were some uncertain times along the way, with some big swings in share values, but paid off. Better than a pension fund.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Time in the market is better than trying to time the market.
How about this example?

I invested in a new company back in 1980, sold in 2015. Return was over 827% for the period. Were some uncertain times along the way, with some big swings in share values, but paid off. Better than a pension fund.
That's a nice one I've only got five year stats on my pension, best performer of my picks is 120% ( although that number is a few months out of date). I've been investing monthly in that time though.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Cuprat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Cocaine or medical grade marijuana.
On a serious note....medical grade marijuana in the US is a good investment
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

If you're young and have many years to go then consider a multi index portfolio such as the Vanguard Lifestrategy range, Dimensional range or L&G Multi-Index range.

All give excellent diversification for a low cost. Charges can eat into returns when looked at on a cumulative basis.

And as mentioned earlier... time in the market as opposed to timing the market. That's key.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Vanguard life strategy is an excellent shout in my opinion particularly as a starting point because it gives good broad diversification at low cost. You can also tailor the stock/ bond mix depending on your attitude to risk although if your young you'd probably be bare tilting the full amount towards equities.

I'd start something like that off as a core for your portfolio and then gradually add other funds to explore other sectors or themes.

I hold some of the funds mentioned above, I also hold an exchange traded fund which focusses on cyber security companies as well as investment trust that focuses on tech stocks for example.Possibilities are literally endless.

I would also recommend Hargreaves Lansdown as a platform , plenty of tools and research at your finger tips.

Finally try and read as much as you can. if you're interested in investment, there's plenty out there and you can never really stop learning. In the last 20 years I've learnt a vast amount from books magazines and forums (although don't take everything on forums as gospel) which has helped me to avoid a few pitfalls. The market can be a cruel mistress at times and the more knowledge you have the better.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #14
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Try Scottish Invesment Trust, Scottish Mortgage Trust or Edinburgh Investment Trust, long term very worthwhile. Check them out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #15
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

I’d concentrate on property, out of all of the investments my father and father in law have made, property has always without exception been the winner, in the UK anyway.

I’m lying my dad has made a fair few quid out of classic cars but that’s far from most peoples cup of tea.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
I’d concentrate on property, out of all of the investments my father and father in law have made, property has always without exception been the winner, in the UK anyway.

I’m lying my dad has made a fair few quid out of classic cars but that’s far from most peoples cup of tea.

Cant remember where I saw the stat now but over the last 20 or 30 years stocks and shares have done better overall than property....
Appreciate 2
LobB5109.00
      02-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
Mr_JD
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Silver, Torquey, Barge

smth

Last edited by Mr_JD; 02-15-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 02:30 AM   #18
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Rental property for me and saving as much cash as possible with minimal risk, I could invest for higher risk greater reward but at 48 have no appetite for any surprises.

Planning to work another 8 years and currently in between pensions
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 04:03 AM   #19
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post

The boomers have distorted that entire market for their entire lives.

You could argue there is a paradigm shift approaching in property purely because they're all starting to die and there is a smaller population following them.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Been thinking about some Apple stocks lately

5 Reasons to Buy Apple Stock and Hold for the Long Term - The Motley Fool

https://apple.news/Agzuurm5xR0iiJc5dQ8F2EA
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #21
Kiddy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

One with huge future potential - Sirius Minerals PLC.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #22
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

70% s&p index fund
30% Canadian weed stocks
Appreciate 0