F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Is there a football thread?
GetBMWParts

08-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #45
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Spurs will be better..... what will Levy do with the £150m?
To be honest, I find the whole Harry Kane thing an absolute bore... It really is about as relevant (and interesting) to most of us as two bald people fighting over a comb... and if City are saying nothing, and Spurs are saying nothing, then it rather begs the question as to who is briefing the press and to what end...

OK, sure, HK is entitled to do what the hell he likes, but only within the bounds of any contract he has already agreed to... what is the point of the contract otherwise... but, really, that's simply between HK and the other parties... why there is such a media coverage is beyond me...

Boring boring boring boring...

Seriously, the amount of column inches dedicated to this is a farce...

It all just highlights how much the game needs to get a grip of itself as regards the money and how that money is distributed down the whole pyramid...

For instance, the whole concept of parachute payments is outdated now and should have been replaced long ago... It was, to my eyes, a stop gap measure to overcome a particular issue once the league TV rights started escalating in value, something that the sport should have worked to eradicate in the meantime...

That Fulham can now spend £12 million on a player in the Championship whilst other teams in that league would struggle to spend a tenth of that means that they are being inequitably funded by parachute payments... I have no problem with rich owners/benefactors (providing all is within FFP)... But the leagues themselves should not be funding that...

The leagues should be such that whilst relegation might be an unfortunate result of a bad season, it should not bankrupt you nor severely threaten your business model... and the teams should therefore be mandated to adopt financial/business models that cope without a parachute payment...

... and, yes, that means players may very well need to accept relegation clauses that work both ways...

In my opinion, too much money goes out of the sport...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C

Last edited by DaveA; 08-20-2021 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      08-20-2021, 07:28 AM   #46
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

What he said - both on the Kane issue, and the amount of money involved at the highest levels, whether that is agent fees, players wages, whatever.....

More needs to be spread down the leagues so that we get more clubs who stand a chance, not just the richest....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #47
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Agree, for all the uproar Sky etc made of the European Super League proposals (which were a nonsense) they seem to make little of the fact that we already have a Super League within the Premier League. Man City and Chelsea are bankrolled to the point where they can spend whatever they like on players and wages and Man Utd and Liverpool aren't far behind them.

For anyone else to break into that little cartel it becomes a huge ask. Only Spurs and Leicester have managed to do it since Arsenal became a mid table club. and I expect they'll struggle to do it again in the near future.

On the Harry Kane thing it's quite simple and as a Spurs fan I'm particularly invested in it. You're right that the media have built it up all summer. Largely fed with 'stories' from Harry's brother. Honestly, there's his first mistake. Having your agent as your brother when he's about as qualified for the job as he is in astrophysics. It reminds me of Stephen Merchant as Ricky Gervais's agent in Extras!!!

Bottom line is this though. Which swathes of the media seem to ignore. He's 3 years into a 6 year contract which has no release clause. Which he was an idiot to put his name to without any get outs. The so called 'gentleman's agreement' he speaks of is naive in the extreme. Besides, I'm sure it would have been along the lines of Levy suggesting that if an offer that's acceptable to the club came in it would be considered. And there's the next thing. No offer has come in from City that's anywhere near his market value. We don't even know for sure if they've made a concrete offer at all. And with 11 days left City have left Kane in limbo. Feeling like he's not going to get his move whilst having turned a fan base that adored him against him. That's quite the feat.

Apparently Kane was City's number one target this summer. Yet they've shown no real ambition to buy him. Instead dropping £100m on Grealish who's a great player but hardly a position of the pitch City are light in! All very bizarre. Kane's behaviour has left a very sour taste though and I don't think any Spurs fan saw him acting the way he has. He's tarnished his legacy now whatever happens and that's sad to see. He's been incredibly ill advised, but he's ultimately chosen to follow that advice.

Which is all why beating, and deservedly so, City at the weekend was all the sweeter. As was the chant of "are you watching Harry Kane" ringing out from all sides of the ground!
Appreciate 2
MrManor538.50
      08-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #48
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Agree, for all the uproar Sky etc made of the European Super League proposals (which were a nonsense) they seem to make little of the fact that we already have a Super League within the Premier League. Man City and Chelsea are bankrolled to the point where they can spend whatever they like on players and wages and Man Utd and Liverpool aren't far behind them.

For anyone else to break into that little cartel it becomes a huge ask. Only Spurs and Leicester have managed to do it since Arsenal became a mid table club. and I expect they'll struggle to do it again in the near future.

On the Harry Kane thing it's quite simple and as a Spurs fan I'm particularly invested in it. You're right that the media have built it up all summer. Largely fed with 'stories' from Harry's brother. Honestly, there's his first mistake. Having your agent as your brother when he's about as qualified for the job as he is in astrophysics. It reminds me of Stephen Merchant as Ricky Gervais's agent in Extras!!!

Bottom line is this though. Which swathes of the media seem to ignore. He's 3 years into a 6 year contract which has no release clause. Which he was an idiot to put his name to without any get outs. The so called 'gentleman's agreement' he speaks of is naive in the extreme. Besides, I'm sure it would have been along the lines of Levy suggesting that if an offer that's acceptable to the club came in it would be considered. And there's the next thing. No offer has come in from City that's anywhere near his market value. We don't even know for sure if they've made a concrete offer at all. And with 11 days left City have left Kane in limbo. Feeling like he's not going to get his move whilst having turned a fan base that adored him against him. That's quite the feat.

Apparently Kane was City's number one target this summer. Yet they've shown no real ambition to buy him. Instead dropping £100m on Grealish who's a great player but hardly a position of the pitch City are light in! All very bizarre. Kane's behaviour has left a very sour taste though and I don't think any Spurs fan saw him acting the way he has. He's tarnished his legacy now whatever happens and that's sad to see. He's been incredibly ill advised, but he's ultimately chosen to follow that advice.

Which is all why beating, and deservedly so, City at the weekend was all the sweeter. As was the chant of "are you watching Harry Kane" ringing out from all sides of the ground!
All agreed about keeping business and family separate.

On the contract thing, I imagine Levy said they were building a team to win stuff, they would invest like they had in the ground and that if he wanted to go, providing it was a good offer he could go with his blessing. Cos lets be honest he will say anything to get his own way.

I think City are doing what you would expect, letting the player get disrupted, letting him put the pressure on and then hoping they get him for £10m less... cos £10m matters to them right...

City bought Grealish so no one else did. Simple.

Personally I think at 28, anything over £50m is too much for Kane, but what do I know...

But that mid table battle for Arsenal is probably one team richer as Spurs are going nowhere near top 6 this season

But yes, funny how richest clubs win things. Just like when Utd were richest club in the world...

I hope Burnley have a good season again, like to see Sean Dyche do well, one of our own....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #49
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

No issue with parachute payments....we're probably still paying for Jordan Ibe (thanks Liverpool) - oh yeah and Brad Smith ffs.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #50
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep
Drives: Fiat Stilo estate mapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
No issue with parachute payments....we're probably still paying for Jordan Ibe (thanks Liverpool) - oh yeah and Brad Smith ffs.
Ibe
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #51
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManor View Post
Ibe
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #52
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

Quote:
All agreed about keeping business and family separate.

On the contract thing, I imagine Levy said they were building a team to win stuff, they would invest like they had in the ground and that if he wanted to go, providing it was a good offer he could go with his blessing. Cos lets be honest he will say anything to get his own way.

I think City are doing what you would expect, letting the player get disrupted, letting him put the pressure on and then hoping they get him for £10m less... cos £10m matters to them right...

City bought Grealish so no one else did. Simple.

Personally I think at 28, anything over £50m is too much for Kane, but what do I know...

But that mid table battle for Arsenal is probably one team richer as Spurs are going nowhere near top 6 this season

But yes, funny how richest clubs win things. Just like when Utd were richest club in the world...

I hope Burnley have a good season again, like to see Sean Dyche do well, one of our own....
It's crazy. If you really need to help your brother out just give him a monthly allowance. Then get yourself a proper agent and PR team! Honestly, the chuckle brothers trying to broker what would be the biggest transfer in British history sat across a table from Daniel Levy and Fabio Paratici... good luck!

I imagine Levy said similar yes. But when he signed his new deal Pochettino was still there, a CL final came about the season after... football, as in life, can change very quickly. Suddenly there's a global pandemic, huge loss of income that the new stadium was built to generate etc. And the point remains... a realistic bid still hasn't come in for him. So quite what he's expecting the club to do I don't know. Sell him for below his value? Not a prayer.

I think City are trying to look like they don't just throw money about. Which is fooling no one. If the want him enough, table a worthy offer. Else there's really no story here. And if they're playing the long game they're forgetting it's Levy on the other side of this. There'll be no concessions from him!

Yup. There's an element of that sadly. Stockpiling players so others can't improve. Football eating itself.

Agree on the crazy numbers but as things stand his market value is £150m plus. We're talking about a Premier League proven striker, season in season out. Golden boot and playmaker awards last season. Guaranteed goals. England captain. 5 years left at the top you'd think. Again, they screwed themselves by paying £100m for Grealish in terms of valuations.

This part we will disagree on. I think 5th/6th is where we're at. We were only 5 points off 4th last season and we were terrible. We'll be better this season now we're rid of the shackles of Mourinho. And I like what I've seen of Nuno. Seems a good man.

No coincidence is it. Nor that the Champion's League final was played out by Chelsea and City last year. Boringly predictable.

Agree again! Not a team I particularly look forward to watching play but do love Sean Dyche!! A top man.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #53
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
It's crazy. If you really need to help your brother out just give him a monthly allowance. Then get yourself a proper agent and PR team! Honestly, the chuckle brothers trying to broker what would be the biggest transfer in British history sat across a table from Daniel Levy and Fabio Paratici... good luck!

I imagine Levy said similar yes. But when he signed his new deal Pochettino was still there, a CL final came about the season after... football, as in life, can change very quickly. Suddenly there's a global pandemic, huge loss of income that the new stadium was built to generate etc. And the point remains... a realistic bid still hasn't come in for him. So quite what he's expecting the club to do I don't know. Sell him for below his value? Not a prayer.

I think City are trying to look like they don't just throw money about. Which is fooling no one. If the want him enough, table a worthy offer. Else there's really no story here. And if they're playing the long game they're forgetting it's Levy on the other side of this. There'll be no concessions from him!

Yup. There's an element of that sadly. Stockpiling players so others can't improve. Football eating itself.

Agree on the crazy numbers but as things stand his market value is £150m plus. We're talking about a Premier League proven striker, season in season out. Golden boot and playmaker awards last season. Guaranteed goals. England captain. 5 years left at the top you'd think. Again, they screwed themselves by paying £100m for Grealish in terms of valuations.

This part we will disagree on. I think 5th/6th is where we're at. We were only 5 points off 4th last season and we were terrible. We'll be better this season now we're rid of the shackles of Mourinho. And I like what I've seen of Nuno. Seems a good man.

No coincidence is it. Nor that the Champion's League final was played out by Chelsea and City last year. Boringly predictable.

Agree again! Not a team I particularly look forward to watching play but do love Sean Dyche!! A top man.
He is not worth £150m. He isnt worth what Grealish is worth as he is young and improving. Kane has peaked and he has two years left at the very top.

I'd give £50m grudgingly.

If City will pay £125m that means anyone else would be saying £75m....

Going to watch Luton v Sheff U next weekend (with the Luton fans, wish me luck, I was a big Tony Currie / Utd of that era fan when I was 10! and its south v north so only one option) then Chesterfield v Bromley with a bunch of lapsed season ticket holders, celebrating the change of ownership at my club and the new optimism. Bloody expensive day out but its worth it to get my club back from the bloody wednesday w*nkers....

Football, we get very passionate about it. You can take my car but leave my footie I am afraid...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 01:24 AM   #54
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Football. Bloody hell.
      08-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #55
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Norwich for relegation, I’m calling it, like a yo-yo that club
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #56
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
What a finish take a bow Danny Ings

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...illa-beat-toon
Appreciate 1
MrManor538.50
      08-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #57
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRO4TV View Post
What a finish take a bow Danny Ings

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...illa-beat-toon
Some class goals today, Mane and Raphinha‘s were superb but Ings goal was unreal
Appreciate 1
allachie91334.00
      08-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #58
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
He is not worth £150m. He isnt worth what Grealish is worth as he is young and improving. Kane has peaked and he has two years left at the very top.

I'd give £50m grudgingly.

If City will pay £125m that means anyone else would be saying £75m....
If someone's prepared to pay £150m for Kane I suppose that's what he's worth; however, the problem for him is I'm not convinced anyone will cough that sort of money so if Levy refuses to budge on the asking price he's stuck at Spurs for at least one more season (and, as you say, he's probably past his peak and will become a less marketable commodity with the passage of time).

I'm not sure it would be good business for Tottenham to effectively block a move though; it's seldom sensible to retain an employee who no longer wants to work for you so if Kane definitely wants away for me Spurs would be better taking an offer at something like £125m if one's forthcoming. That's still a huge amount of money which if reinvested in two or three decent replacements could actually give them a stronger squad overall; it would also avoid the possibility of having a slightly disaffected player around the dressing room although to be fair Kane doesn't strike me as someone who would sulk or look to create problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #59
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Lukaku in business feel sorry for the rest of the premiership . We are going to be deadly this season up the chels KTBFFH.

Arsenal are a shambles will be interesting to see if Arteta makes it to the international break without a major improvement in performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #60
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Arsenal for relegation!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #61
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Arsenal for relegation!
I see Brendan Rodgers has just moved ahead of Eddie Howe in the next Arsenal manager betting odds.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #62
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Arsenal for relegation!
I see Brendan Rodgers has just moved ahead of Eddie Howe in the next Arsenal manager betting odds.
Why on earth would you go from Leicester to Arsenal at this time?

He was heavily linked with the Spurs job as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #63
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I think someone put a fiver on it

Something distinctly rotten at the Arse....I don't mind Gunnersaurus though

Last edited by JR1664; 08-22-2021 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      08-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #64
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Arsenal for relegation!

I doubt he will, the odds will have shortened due to interest and / or bets being placed on it I'd have thought.

I can see a load of chavvy tattooed Londoners refreshing their bet365 app furiously
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 04:47 AM   #65
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Pretty happy with Bees point on the road!

Only 2 games but nice to see them in top half. Worried for Norwich and promoted clubs - shows you the difference in quality between championship and EPL but having said that facing Liverpool and City - up there with the best teams in world football is nasty.

I know they sold emi ? I think but I'm sure they spent a few quid too.

As for Kane we will have him! If city do get him I think it's their title and the reason for that is they need a number 9 and none of this false 9 nonsense he's probably the best in the world in that position, perhaps Lukuku or Robert L. But he is 33 I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:05 AM   #66
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Got my tickets to see bees vs Brighton on the 11th my dad my son and I. Pretty happy to grab them all for 70 but there's a child and senior ticket in there lol.

The boy is going on 6 so will see if he likes it (they have bees coaching staff come to his school in twickenham - the best of the best
Appreciate 0