F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Sucked mf paper towel into my turbo inlet pipe.
Studio RSR

04-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
CmacF30335i
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i RWD

Sucked mf paper towel into my turbo inlet pipe.

Ok so I’m an actual retard.

I had my intake off painting it, I stuffed paper towel into one end to stop paint from getting inside. I forgot to remove the paper towel and I put my intake back on. Started my car up and obviously it sucked it in instantly.

Wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen and what is best/ worst case scenario? How would any of you handle this situation?

I plan on removing my inlet pipe and see where this damn paper towel went and/or if it got shredded.

Thanks guys any input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Best case it just gets burned up and exhausted out. Worst case maybe it clogs your intercooler until its obliterated.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
CmacF30335i
Rep

Thanks for the reply. So what would you do if this happened to you? ( not saying you’re as stupid as I am )
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Sorry but i LOL when i read this. Was it just one paper towel or a whole clump? Normal PT or like the blue heavy duty ones?

If its just one normal PT i doubt it was strong enough to cause any damage to the turbo, especially since it probably got sucked in right at startup (before turbo was spinning fast).

Most likely it got shredded by the turbo; pull the inlet to confirm. If you can find anything on the pre-turbo side, consider dropping the IC and taking a look. Whatever made it past the turbo will likely be stuck in the IC fins. You can blow backwards through the IC with a blower or compressed air to force anything out.

The good news is that the IC should block any big "chunks" from making it further into the engine where they might go into vacuum lines or something else.
Appreciate 2
harkes1077.00
      04-08-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
CmacF30335i
Rep

Thanks so much for the reply man. I don’t blame you for laughing. Seriously stupid and childish mistake on my part 🤦*♂️. It was a decent clump, probably about 3 in Total, just normal white paper towel not the heavy duty blue ones. I stuck my vacuum as far down the inlet and didn’t suck anything out so I’m guessing it’s all been shredded.

Cars in my driveway so I’ll have to wait until morning to jack it up and take the inlet off.

what do you think about what peter said? Any chance it could just get burnt up and blown out my exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmacF30335i View Post
Thanks so much for the reply man. I don’t blame you for laughing. Seriously stupid and childish mistake on my part 🤦*♂️. It was a decent clump, probably about 3 in Total, just normal white paper towel not the heavy duty blue ones. I stuck my vacuum as far down the inlet and didn’t suck anything out so I’m guessing it’s all been shredded.

Cars in my driveway so I’ll have to wait until morning to jack it up and take the inlet off.

what do you think about what peter said? Any chance it could just get burnt up and blown out my exhaust?
Any small shreds that make it all the way through the IC fins, up the CP, past TB, and through the intake manifold and past the valves, yes. I wouldnt worry about it at that point. Also, at idle, the TB was almost all the way closed. Did you drive it after realziing it or just idle it for a sec? Did it sound weird at all?

Most likely you have nothing to worry about. The main concern is if they get past the IC and into any small vacuum lines or passages.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #7
CmacF30335i
Rep

I put the intake back on, started my car, ( it had a fully gutted exhaust and it sounded WAY louder than I’ve ever heard it, rough idle, then it threw a drivetrain malfunction code, I was moving my car for my dad so I had to reverse down my driveway then back into drive to park my car up. All In all was probably running for 30 seconds but I never really gave it any throttle.

So basically all I can really do is pull the inlet and intercooler clean them out as best as I can and hope It’s all good lol?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I put the intake back on, started my car, ( it had a fully gutted exhaust and it sounded WAY louder than I’ve ever heard it, rough idle, then it threw a drivetrain malfunction code, I was moving my car for my dad so I had to reverse down my driveway then back into drive to park my car up. All In all was probably running for 30 seconds but I never really gave it any throttle.

So basically all I can really do is pull the inlet and intercooler clean them out as best as I can and hope It’s all good lol?
Yeah basically. I would also be a little concerned about the charge pipe pressure sensor and MAP in the intake manifold. But start with the basics.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:51 PM   #9
CmacF30335i
Rep

Ok. I’m quite the noob when it comes to the N55, are the pressure sensor and MAP you’re talking about the two connections on the driver side charge pipe? Or on the turbo to intercooler charge pipe? If that makes sense.

Thanks a lot for the replies too dude you’re making me feel a little better about my situation lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Theres nothing on the turbo to IC CP. There is one pressure sensor on the CP right before the throttle body (this is where you get pre-throttle boost from in logs) and another after the TB in the intake manifold (MAP in the logs).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:18 PM   #11
CmacF30335i
Rep

Ok ok gotcha, so let’s just say I take all the stuff off but don’t find all the paper towel, is it likely there could be some stuck right inside the turbo? What about starting the car to force the remaining PT out of the turbo down to the IC? Does that make sense or should I not start the car until I’ve cleaned as much out as I can?. Sorry for the beginner questions, this is just an unprecedented situation for me and I’m pretty new to bmws and cars in general but trying to learn.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:47 PM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

I think you are overthinking it at this point. You already said you verified the turbo. Confirm there is nothing stick in there by looking through the inlet or the TIC pipe. Then check the IC, and you can always just pop the CP off the TB real quick as well since that is easy. Just have a look around and report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:52 AM   #13
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I think you are overthinking it at this point. You already said you verified the turbo. Confirm there is nothing stick in there by looking through the inlet or the TIC pipe. Then check the IC, and you can always just pop the CP off the TB real quick as well since that is easy. Just have a look around and report back.
would it not likely be stuck at the throttle body? the way a throttle body opens, flap openening from the center on a pivot, and OP saying he really didn't give it any gas should have kept it mostly closed.
      04-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #14
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Honestly, I would start by removing the CP at the throttle body. If you see shreds of PT there then you need to remove everything downstream and clean it out real good. If you see shreds in the CP and want to go the extra step remove the manifold and check it for debris/clean it out. If you don't see shreds in the CP then move on to the FMIC by checking at the outlet connection at the CP, if nothing there keep moving backward checking at each connection.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
harkes1077.00
      04-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
would it not likely be stuck at the throttle body? the way a throttle body opens, flap openening from the center on a pivot, and OP saying he really didn't give it any gas should have kept it mostly closed.
Yes, but the IC fins are pretty dense so pieces have to be quite small to make it through the IC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Honestly, I would start by removing the CP at the throttle body. If you see shreds of PT there then you need to remove everything downstream and clean it out real good. If you see shreds in the CP and want to go the extra step remove the manifold and check it for debris/clean it out. If you don't see shreds in the CP then move on to the FMIC by checking at the outlet connection at the CP, if nothing there keep moving backward checking at each connection.
Basically what i was saying except i would check the inlet to the IC first, since i feel that is going to catch most of the pieces. But indeed the CP-TP connection is probably the easiest to remove, and dropping IC 2nd easiest.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
CmacF30335i
Rep

Ok guys so I think I got really lucky here. But not out of the woods yet. i first took off my Turbo inlet, most of the PT was stuck in there. Almost the full clump, it’s about a 3.5 foot long section of PT lol. I un crumpled it and in total about a Kleenex size amount of PT got shredded by the turbo. I moved the turbine blades slightly with my finger and is spinning fine and I don’t feel any play. Been trying for a couple hrs to get my Turbo to IC charge pipe off to check the IC but I really don’t wanna break the tab on the back, I don’t remember my VRSF CP install being this difficult 🧐
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #17
CmacF30335i
Rep

I also checked my VRSf CP and i don’t think anything made it that far.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #18
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok guys so I think I got really lucky here. But not out of the woods yet. i first took off my Turbo inlet, most of the PT was stuck in there. Almost the full clump, it’s about a 3.5 foot long section of PT lol. I un crumpled it and in total about a Kleenex size amount of PT got shredded by the turbo. I moved the turbine blades slightly with my finger and is spinning fine and I don’t feel any play. Been trying for a couple hrs to get my Turbo to IC charge pipe off to check the IC but I really don’t wanna break the tab on the back, I don’t remember my VRSF CP install being this difficult 🧐
This is good news. I honestly don't think you should go through the hassle of removing the TIC pipe. You might just end up creating a leak or something.

When you dropped the IC, were any of the "missing" pieces in the IC fins (on the hot side toward the turbo)?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #19
CmacF30335i
Rep

I haven’t checked there yet no, But don’t I need to remove the TIC pipe to drop the IC? it’s currently snowing where I am so I won’t be able to wrench on it again until tomorrow. My exposed engine bay got pretty wet from the snow already lol
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #20
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I haven’t checked there yet no, But don’t I need to remove the TIC pipe to drop the IC? it’s currently snowing where I am so I won’t be able to wrench on it again until tomorrow. My exposed engine bay got pretty wet from the snow already lol
No, you dont. Dropping the IC is quick. Just take the 15-20 8mm bolts off that hold the undertray on (recommend an electric tool so this takes 2 minutes instead of 20), remove the clips that hold the TIC and CP onto the IC (one on each side), take off the 2 bolts that hold the IC onto the car (one on each side of IC), and the IC will fall down. You can leave the TIC and CP in place.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #21
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Cleaning the intercooler should be very easy. Take off both pipes, squirt a little starter fluid into the outlet of the intercooler and light it. If there is any paper in there it will come out. Or you could just use a leafblower or vacuum cleaner, your choice. But starter fluid makes a cooler story.

I'm kidding, don't use starter fluid. Use a vacuum cleaner on the inlet side.