F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Comparing Apple CarPlay retrofit options
GetBMWParts

12-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #45
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 428i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
Hi,
Is it possible to listen the radio/car usb while using the carplay for navigation?
How can you use the car's bt phone (microphone) and the carplay's connection at the same time?
Yom
Sure you can do that, but the navigation audio from CarPlay will be off

Quote:
Originally Posted by llirik View Post
I have a 2009 e93 MSport.... is that too old for any of these? It has CIC i believe but looking through the options it's quite confusing.
There is a version for the CIC version, so your car is compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10k8 View Post
OK, so I need to know about that charging mat. It looks like a perfect fit and now I must have one!

Can you let me know the brand?

Thanks again!
Sadly I don't recommend this charging mat, the phone gets pretty hot, so hot that the iPhone won't charge after 80% to self protect, I message the seller about this issue and he said that this is a known issue for the iPhone so it is a bad hardware design, the seller refund me some money and said he will contact me when a new revision is made

Here is the link to the product if you feel lucky
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #46
rob10k8
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Sure you can do that, but the navigation audio from CarPlay will be off

There is a version for the CIC version, so your car is compatible.

Sadly I don't recommend this charging mat, the phone gets pretty hot, so hot that the iPhone won't charge after 80% to self protect, I message the seller about this issue and he said that this is a known issue for the iPhone so it is a bad hardware design, the seller refund me some money and said he will contact me when a new revision is made

Thanks for the honest feedback. I'll keep an eye out to see if they create a new version.

Also, I went ahead and ordered the unit from Kremersino. I should be getting the new unit that uses the car mic instead of an external mic (I say 'should' because I ordered the old unit, but they said they would change it, but I haven't received confirmation yet).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...634d7f2fykHQ7B

Hopefully, it has all the previous improvements and I'm not a Beta tester! However, it sounds like they are very responsive and fair to their customers.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #47
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the honest feedback. I'll keep an eye out to see if they create a new version.

Also, I went ahead and ordered the unit from Kremersino. I should be getting the new unit that uses the car mic instead of an external mic (I say 'should' because I ordered the old unit, but they said they would change it, but I haven't received confirmation yet).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...634d7f2fykHQ7B

Hopefully, it has all the previous improvements and I'm not a Beta tester! However, it sounds like they are very responsive and fair to their customers.

Rob
Didn't know about the new version, it looks like a great update, some of the new features:

- Wireless Connection for Android Auto
- Using Factory/OEM Microphone
- Support AirPlay mirroring
- Support Android mirroring

For me AirPlay mirroring is the most interesting one, this way you could send YouTube videos on your BMW screen for your passengers, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use CarPlay and AirPlay with the same connection, you will need to choose between the 2 modes and do the connection each time.

Also in the hardware photos you can see a new "5G" antenna? and 2 USB inputs? I wonder what that means.

Let us know your review when you get your new version box.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 04:07 AM   #48
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

This new box seems very good, because I can use the OEM mic with CIC head unit. This was not possible earlier.

I've just some doubts:

- My car has a factory surround view. The module is not connected to the camera+parking sensor switch, so how can I use the side view cameras with the camera button? If I'm in the original idrive menu, then it's trivial to change the screen, but when I'm in the carplay screen? Also the same questions for top view cameras with the parking sensor button.
Does anybody have this box with factory top+rear+side view cameras? Is this function working well?

-When I'm in the carplay screen and I use the idrive knob, in the background the original idrive menu is also reacting? eg; i call somebody, because the original idrive is in the phone screen
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 04:12 AM   #49
Yom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:

I've the original BMW wireless charger snapin adapter (84-10-2-449-88), and I don't have any issue. My iphone can be fully charged without any temperature issues. I think, the warming issue is not an iphone's hardware issue
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #50
rob10k8
Rep

New box arriving 12/19

I just got a DHL notification that the shipment will be arriving on Thursday, 12/19. I'll probably do the install this weekend and post my impressions shortly thereafter.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #51
rob10k8
Rep

The new box arrived last night.

I am working on the install. Everything was pretty simple - the biggest pain was taking out the glove box as there is a nice area to put the CarPlay unit just to the right of the radio.

Powered up and everything works like normal, however, I can not get the Car Play unit to show up on the display.

For older units, I think you connect to it by using Aux, but that doesn't seem to work as this unit doesn't use Aux. I emailed Michael to see if he has instructions (nothing came with the unit).

I was able to connect my iPhone to the unit, but still can't get it to show up on the display. I'm sure i'm missing something simple... If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I'll post as soon as I get it figured out.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #52
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I am working on the install. Everything was pretty simple - the biggest pain was taking out the glove box as there is a nice area to put the CarPlay unit just to the right of the radio.

Powered up and everything works like normal, however, I can not get the Car Play unit to show up on the display.

For older units, I think you connect to it by using Aux, but that doesn't seem to work as this unit doesn't use Aux. I emailed Michael to see if he has instructions (nothing came with the unit).

I was able to connect my iPhone to the unit, but still can't get it to show up on the display. I'm sure i'm missing something simple... If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I'll post as soon as I get it figured out.

Rob
Did you get the new version? did you resolve your issues? let us know your review of the unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #53
monoturbo
Rep
Drives: BMW

New Pioneer units

I wonder if there’s any hope that this new modular CarPlay option from Pioneer could be made to work with an F30? I suppose it all depends on if Metra makes a kit.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../DMH-WC6600NEX

I have a 2014 F31, and I have one of the small screens with HU_ENTRY so I don’t seem to have great upgrade paths.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #54
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

UNICHIP for the Win

Ive been toying with the new wireless unichip solution & tonight it paid off.
They released a final FW update, you side load it through USB stick, and it fixed the last lingering problem (TX audio sounded bad).
Im VERY happy with the unichip solution & their support over the past 2 months has been great.
You can argue they should not have released this unit until now, but I have been using & enjoying it for maps & podcasts, just not making calls.
That was an issue, but not its solved.
My 2013 x5 feels brand new. Im very happy!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #55
Yapper
Rep
Drives: BMW 225XE F45

First time post from someone looking at options for CarPlay for a '68 F45 EVO. This thread is hugely interesting. Being in UK, I don't think I can source Unichip here but there are similar boxes on Aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro...7feb1937NJ1woQ).

Unique Audio uses the same set up too but the price here is £465.99 (USD600)! I'm all very new to mods so I'm scared to death of the job of removing the trims. I'd use a fitter from Unique Audio if the price wasn't so huge. I've see videos but for other bimmers - anyone can advise on video specifically for the F45? Or maybe a fitter that isn't so extortionate?

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:30 PM   #56
WolfpackSV
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi BMW X3 BMW 340i

What should I do?

Hey guys I just bought a 2016 340i it has the Harman Kardon stereo but I miss apple CarPlay
Do you think this installation is going to ruin my audio quality?
Should I stay with the harman and just buy a good phone mount?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #57
Yapper
Rep
Drives: BMW 225XE F45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackSV View Post
Hey guys I just bought a 2016 340i it has the Harman Kardon stereo but I miss apple CarPlay
Do you think this installation is going to ruin my audio quality?
Should I stay with the harman and just buy a good phone mount?

Thanks
From what I've read no, though with the music coming thru AUX audiophiles will notice the difference. I'm not so can't say.

From what I read HK has a larger HU so you'll have to store the module behind the glovebox. I'm currently researching it and am confident of the job so will be ordering mine soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #58
lazyninja87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i SportLine

Quote:
Didn't know about the new version, it looks like a great update, some of the new features:

- Wireless Connection for Android Auto
- Using Factory/OEM Microphone
- Support AirPlay mirroring
Hi- Support Android mirroring

For me AirPlay mirroring is the most interesting one, this way you could send YouTube videos on your BMW screen for your passengers, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use CarPlay and AirPlay with the same connection, you will need to choose between the 2 modes and do the connection each time.

Also in the hardware photos you can see a new "5G" antenna? and 2 USB inputs? I wonder what that means.

Let us know your review when you get your new version box.

Cheers!!
OK guys I’m about to purchase the new version (using OEM mic) on AliExpress but my main concern is can I listed to music via Bluetooth once the CarPlay is active or does it have to send the music through the AUX connection?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #59
chambo622
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyninja87 View Post
OK guys I’m about to purchase the new version (using OEM mic) on AliExpress but my main concern is can I listed to music via Bluetooth once the CarPlay is active or does it have to send the music through the AUX connection?
Why would you need to listen to music via Bluetooth if it's already being routed through AUX by Carplay?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #60
lazyninja87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i SportLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo622 View Post
Why would you need to listen to music via Bluetooth if it's already being routed through AUX by Carplay?
I guess my question really is can carplay stream music through the bluetooth because of the higher quality. Do I have to use AUX at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #61
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyninja87 View Post
I guess my question really is can carplay stream music through the bluetooth because of the higher quality. Do I have to use AUX at all?
Did you bought it? I have the old version that still works pretty good and I can use the bluetooth audio with CarPlay but you won't be able to listen to Waze or Google Maps turn by turn instructions, or listen to iMessage or WhatsApp text messages so thats a bummer for me, still AUX sounds good in my opinion, the main issue for me is not be able to use the wheel buttons to control the music.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 12:41 AM   #62
jimmboy2
Registered
Rep
Drives: HONDA

I would advise you to either buy from Alibaba or bimmer
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #63
giocar99
Registered
Rep
Drives: Volvo CX60

Quote:

Rob
Hello. I also bought the carplay cc-8818 but unfortunately I think it doesn't work. When I turn off the machine it goes into sleep mode and to restart it I have to press the reset. Do you have the manual with the instructions? They only sent me a video for editing. I would need the complete manual. Thanks !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:35 AM   #64
f30ill
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
My car has a factory surround view. The module is not connected to the camera+parking sensor switch, so how can I use the side view cameras with the camera button? If I'm in the original idrive menu, then it's trivial to change the screen, but when I'm in the carplay screen? Also the same questions for top view cameras with the parking sensor button.
Does anybody have this box with factory top+rear+side view cameras? Is this function working well?
Keen to know this too before I buy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:58 PM   #65
WolfpackSV
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi BMW X3 BMW 340i

Hey guys what do you think is the best way to have CarPlay in your car?
Any new ways?
I have NBT 4
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #66
TylerTurner922
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI

junk yard

Can we get a radio from the junkyard to swap in and get carplay that way
Appreciate 0