F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Text Message Not Working
GetBMWParts

10-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
niusiqi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Exclamation Text Message Not Working

I bought a 2013 335i recently. I can't get incoming text messages from my iPhone 6 to display on the iDrive.

It has BMW connect and the office option. I also turned on notification under iPhone's bluetooth menu. I can receive GPS routes from my phone though. Not really sure what's going... Please help, thanks!!

Last edited by niusiqi; 10-20-2016 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
HotTea69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 AW M-Sport

I have similar issues, Have BMW Office, Set my settings to receive text messages, and ive set my phone to allow messages to be forwarded. I do not receive texts either.

Looking for anyone who can chime in
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by niusiqi View Post
I bought a 2013 335i recently. I can't get incoming text messages from my iPhone 6 to display on the iDrive.

It has BMW connect and the office option. I also turned on notification under iPhone's bluetooth menu. I can receive GPS routes from my phone though. Not really sure what's going... Please help, thanks!!
Try un-pair, then re-pair your phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:

BMW and iPhones don't work too well together besides the apps. Now blackberry, worked flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
lo_xyooj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335i

welcome to the club of Messages and iPhone 6 not working. I've tried everything and pretty much gave up. The feature sucks anyways....
      10-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

I get texts on my '13 335 from my iPhone 6 since the day I got it. But for some reason I cannot get text messages on the wife's '15 X5. The X5 has Office and Connected Drive.

This thread just made me more curious so I did a VIN decode comparison and found the X5 was missing a few options the 335 has: 6NF, 6NL, and 6NR. Now I'm not a 100% sure if those options make a difference but I do find it strange a newer and better packaged X5 is missing functions the 335 has.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #7
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

It's a hit and miss for me. Sometimes I just suddenly have text messages coming thru the idrive, then nothing for a few weeks. No email coming thru though.

Last edited by JOE YOUNG; 10-30-2016 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Did you all check your message notification settings? It should be the "Alert" style
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
Alamat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi Sport Line

Had mine working since Iphone 4S, now with 6+. When I upgraded to IOS 10, I had to update the BMW software to get it to work again.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
niusiqi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazsta View Post
Did you all check your message notification settings? It should be the "Alert" style

Yes. I have updated the BMW iDrive as well. Still haven't gotten a chance to unpair and re-pair though...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
Meast
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazsta View Post

Yes. I have updated the BMW iDrive as well. Still haven't gotten a chance to unpair and re-pair though...
Does your car have the smart phone integration option, with the cradle, as well as navigation? Check in your phone to be sure "Show notifications" is on in the Bluetooth section, and be sure the car Bluetooth configuration is set for office, for both the car and the device. Pair and unpair.

As a side note to anyone else who sporadically gets text messages, if you have the text message open on your phone it won't show in the car. It only shows the newest unread messages.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #12
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast View Post
Does your car have the smart phone integration option, with the cradle, as well as navigation? Check in your phone to be sure "Show notifications" is on in the Bluetooth section, and be sure the car Bluetooth configuration is set for office, for both the car and the device. Pair and unpair.

As a side note to anyone else who sporadically gets text messages, if you have the text message open on your phone it won't show in the car. It only shows the newest unread messages.
I tried sending multiple msgs whilts in the car using my wife's iphone. Got it in the phone, obviously didnot open the phone, just notifications on the screen, but nothing on the idrive.

As I said, hit and miss.
      10-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #13
Meast
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE YOUNG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast View Post

I tried sending multiple msgs whilts in the car using my wife's iphone. Got it in the phone, obviously didnot open the phone, just notifications on the screen, but nothing on the idrive.

As I said, hit and miss.
And other times it shows up on the iDrive screen just fine? Is it affecting both phones? Sometimes the "plus" phones seem to have an issue over the "normal" iPhone. I've seen some phones work and others not even when I'm in the car and swap phones. The important part is, it has worked at some point, even with the same phone or a different one?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #14
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Neither texts or e-mails go through to my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 12:22 AM   #15
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

Blackberry :
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
RoarinRow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
After you pair your iPhone, go to Settings on your iPhone, choose Bluetooth, click on the 'i' on the BMW device, then enable 'Show Notifications'. You should receive your text message with this on. Email notifications has never worked for me. I don't have the Enhanced Bluetooth option.
2012 328i Sedan - Glacier Silver - 18" Toyo Proxes 4 Plus Tires with Nürburgring Metal Grey Rims, H&R Sport Springs, VRSF Intercooler, JB+, aFe Air Filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Carbon Fiber accents, SS Pedals, Bavsound System, BMW CCA member since 2015. First Bimmer - 2000 Z3 M. Second Bimmer - 2014 X1 sDrive28.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #17
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoarinRow View Post
After you pair your iPhone, go to Settings on your iPhone, choose Bluetooth, click on the 'i' on the BMW device, then enable 'Show Notifications'. You should receive your text message with this on. Email notifications has never worked for me. I don't have the Enhanced Bluetooth option.
That's the way mine is set, but I don't get any, but what is odd, is if I hold down the voice command button, Siri comes on and she'll read my e-mails, but not my texts..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #18
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

It's always good to delete the pairing on the phone and in iDrive and re-do it if you are having problems. It also helps to reset your iPhone and iDrive. You do that by holding down the power/volume button on your dash until iDrive resets...it takes like a minute.

Setup on iPhone:

In Settings/Notifications/Messages:
- Allow Notifications On
- Show in Notification Center On
- Badge App Icon On
- Show on Lock screen On
- Alert Style Banners

In Settings/Bluetooth/Your car's connection:
- Show Notifications On

The messaging interface is a bit flaky but once it is working it usually continues to work until you do something like updating iOS etc. You can't Send messages through the iDrive interface. I have never gotten email notification to work. Supposedly you need to configure notifications in the same way AND ensure that you kill the mail app before your phone connects to iDrive. But I've still never gotten it to work . There is or was an app that would do this for you, but you have to jailbreak your phone.
BTW, both messaging and email works better on Android, which I also have working. The best is Blackberry, but who has those anymore?? If you have a Windows Phone...sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #19
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
It's always good to delete the pairing on the phone and in iDrive and re-do it if you are having problems. It also helps to reset your iPhone and iDrive. You do that by holding down the power/volume button on your dash until iDrive resets...it takes like a minute.

Setup on iPhone:

In Settings/Notifications/Messages:
- Allow Notifications On
- Show in Notification Center On
- Badge App Icon On
- Show on Lock screen On
- Alert Style Banners

In Settings/Bluetooth/Your car's connection:
- Show Notifications On

The messaging interface is a bit flaky but once it is working it usually continues to work until you do something like updating iOS etc. You can't Send messages through the iDrive interface. I have never gotten email notification to work. Supposedly you need to configure notifications in the same way AND ensure that you kill the mail app before your phone connects to iDrive. But I've still never gotten it to work . There is or was an app that would do this for you, but you have to jailbreak your phone.
BTW, both messaging and email works better on Android, which I also have working. The best is Blackberry, but who has those anymore?? If you have a Windows Phone...sorry.
By resetting iDrive, do we lose all settings previously set?

What do you mean by "kill the mail app"? Close it or delete and reinstall?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #20
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Ok, So with iPhone - here is what you should do to get it to work. When you get in your car, and the phone pairs with Bluetooth. Make sure you go into the Bluetooth settings in the car and enable for messages, audio, etc. Then on your iPhone, you need to go into notifications, change the notification on your email (from banner to alert, or alert to banner). So once you do that, you "should" see the email in text format in the message screen of the office menu. However, there is one gotcha - you have to do this EVERY TIME you get in the car. It's not automatic - it stops working once you get out the car. Now for the text messages - (like imessage and txt msg) that works all the time as long as you have the Bluetooth enabled to support messages. I've been using this for about 2 years now, and like I said it works, but it's a pain in the butt to remember to do this every time you get in the car.. I usually only do it for long drives when I know I can't look at my phone each time an email shows up.
Appreciate 1
Shazsta17.50
      11-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #21
lo_xyooj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335i

I just wanted to share an update:
11/18 took the car for the bmw assist retrofit. It took ~4hrs from start to finish. I tested everything all seems to work. I then further ask to talk to the "Genius" about messages not working, he flat out lied saying it wont work on an IPhone, that's where I decided to end the conversation since I knew he wasn't much of a "genius".
I left the dealership my wife texts me and I see an envelope in idrive...I initially thought it was one of the send to nav messages but sure and behold it was my wifes text. I'm sure the recoding of the car may have reset the feature but I had to pair my phone, set notifications, etc just like in the past and now it works....not sure how but like I said it may have been the reset.
      12-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #22
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

I was just about to say this. Had to redo this after combox retrofit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Ok, So with iPhone - here is what you should do to get it to work. When you get in your car, and the phone pairs with Bluetooth. Make sure you go into the Bluetooth settings in the car and enable for messages, audio, etc. Then on your iPhone, you need to go into notifications, change the notification on your email (from banner to alert, or alert to banner). So once you do that, you "should" see the email in text format in the message screen of the office menu. However, there is one gotcha - you have to do this EVERY TIME you get in the car. It's not automatic - it stops working once you get out the car. Now for the text messages - (like imessage and txt msg) that works all the time as long as you have the Bluetooth enabled to support messages. I've been using this for about 2 years now, and like I said it works, but it's a pain in the butt to remember to do this every time you get in the car.. I usually only do it for long drives when I know I can't look at my phone each time an email shows up.
Appreciate 0