F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > How to know FDL codings for a given VO change?
ARMA SPEED

09-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #1
slash14
Rep
Drives: F31 318D 2017

How to know FDL codings for a given VO change?

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to retrofit a backup camera to my F31.
However, before proceeding, I'd like to understand some of the magic behind ESYS (and to potentially roll back the car settings if I were to make a mistake ).

As far as I understood:
VO coding and FDL coding are two different things.
VO coding basically sets the vehicule configuration in the VCM but doesn't change any settings within ECUs. So writing a new VO to a car ((as shown here)) doesn't actually (de)activate anything in the car, am I right?
FDL coding tweaks individual options in ECUs in order to actually activate options listed in the VO. FDL coding can also be useful to set other options not directly linked to a vehicule option (angel eyes intensity for instance).

Based on what I read before (all documents from here, as well as the ESYS help file), I'd expect ESYS to be able to "guess" appropriate FDL codings to be injected in ECU(s) for a given VO coding modification. My previous statement seems to be right according to this post.

With this assumption in mind, is there a way to know in advance which FDL codings will happen in each affected ECU after VO has been changed (let's say from 6NH to 6NS for instance)? If positive, how may I know the list of FDL that will be performed before actually coding the car?

Or if I may ask a bit differently: is there a way to check vehicule consistency between VO from the VCM on one hand, and settings within each ECU on the other hand?

Lastly (at least for now), what is the purpose of I-steps? None of the readings I had were very clear about this feature.

Hopefully my questions are understandable

Thanks for your answers.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

I think from the way I understand it is that when you VO code a module, the module has a certain way of calculating what the appropriate FDL changes need to occur when eSys tells it to add/remove/modify a VO code

For example, when you remove the anti dazzle decoding from the VO then VO code the necessary modules, the lack of VO for decoding being sent to the ecu will dynamically adjust what FDLs are set to certain configurations
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Yes, already explained quite well.

FDL Coding = change of individual/single values
VO Coding = Automatically change of associated values depending on the vehicle order.

The little program NCDCAFDTool can show (do not always rely 100% on it!) the FDL codings which will happen in each affected ECU after VO has been changed.

The I-Step is the software version of a car.
For example the latest I-Step is the last available software version for a car.
The I-Step has the format e.g. F020_20_11_557
F020 stands for many car series like F2x, F3x, F8x
_20 is the year of release
_11 is the month of release
_557 is the numbering in this year
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
slash14
Rep
Drives: F31 318D 2017

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the explanation!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 02:48 AM   #5
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Is there an 'offline' way to find out which FDL entries are changed on a certain VO change?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 05:23 AM   #6
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

You can esys coding verification and generate cafd using modified and original FA then compare the results.
Appreciate 0