F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > FML.
GetBMWParts

01-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #23
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
If your insurance company is closed on weekends, then it's time for you to find a new insurance company.
I was thinking the same thing, serious. Its called Multi-State... cheapest insurance I could find and it still cost me $2800 for twelve months of insurance. AAA quoted me $3300 for same coverage. I hate California.
The term "The Golden State" has certainly taken on new meaning in recent years.

You gotta pay to play...
Yes sir, it certainly has...

Update:

Working solely with other insurance company, Nationwide - as other Californians suggested. Feels foreign and wrong. They took my recorded statement. Hope I dont get screwed but wont be surprised if I do...

As it stands I took the earliest appointment for their select adjuster to meet me. It's tomorrow at 11am. They said if its contested (had to speak to other party), that they would decide fault based on damages.

I'd be shocked if this doesn't end up costing me hundreds, if not more.

The saga continues...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #24
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
When I had State Farm and got in an accident, they told me to go get 3 quotes while they argued with the other insurance company about who was at fault (car was driveable). When I had Progressive, they just asked me for a preferred shop and towed the car there (car wasn't driveable). It waited for an adjuster to come by and estimate repair costs. Nothing about determining fault should slow down the initial process. By the time the repairs actually start, they should have those details ironed out. At no point should you have to throw spend any money if you're not at fault imo.
Agreed. Erie told me on one accident NOT to file a claim through them if the other driver admitted fault and he clearly did. That was nice and easy...called Nationwide and settled it then and there.

My next accident, the ahole admitted fault THEN decided to fight later (or his insurance company did) I still contacted his insurance company and they were rude as hell and said this is on you so I was forced to file a claim under my insurance. They then battled until no one won and we both paid the deductible. Based on my past experiences, it's never straightforward unless the driver truly admits fault but if and when they do, go through their insurance.

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 3
sspade2464.50
kern4174445.00
tex26702411.00
      01-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #25
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes sir, it certainly has...

Update:

Working solely with other insurance company, Nationwide - as other Californians suggested. Feels foreign and wrong. The took my recorded statement. Hope I do get screwed but wont be surprised if I do...

As it stands I took the earliest appointment for their select adjuster to meet me. It's tomorrow at 11am. They said if its contested (had to speak to other party), that they would decide fault based on damages.

I'd be shocked if this doesn't end up costing me hundreds, if not more.

The saga continues...
Nationwide WILL take care of you. I was pissed to hell over a dozen things after my last accident and every single issue was addressed immediately! I was a bit shocked to see them put me in a BMW after a few "discussions" about putting me in a marshmallow all because their driver hit me. I also represent our company so at the time, it was a big issue....they did not bark at all. Same went with HOW my car was being handled/repaired/payed out. After a bit of discussing, it was best to total my car and they knew it.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #26
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
No, you don't. Your insurance company collects it for you. The procedure is called 'subrogation'. Even if the other driver doesn't admit fault if your insurance company is worth having a policy with they'll go to court to collect it if the facts back up your claim. If they don't then it's like they say in the Liberty Mutual commercials: You picked the wrong insurance company.
If you think your insurance company is going to take another insurance company to court over a minor car accident, you don't understand insurance. The insurance co subrogates to your rights--and what exactly do they subrogate to when no one can definitively prove which driver is at fault? In that case, your insurance company pays the claim, and you pay the deductible.

And, let's just say your insurance company does sue the other driver. There's no guaranty they will win--your insurance company is not a bank (even though they may have a separate banking division--like USAA does), so they don't make you an interest-free loan of your deductible. You pay it until your insurance company collects from the other driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #27
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
You don't have to involve your insurance if you don't want to. I live in LA for 19 yrs now, I previous car got rear ended by some idiot on his cellphone. I took a photo of his license for information and insurance card, got no pen to write all those down. I called his insurance and open a case thru them with his policy #, his name, his license # and all that was ask by his insurance, they gave me a case # to follow up on, told me they have to talk to the person and presto....lol 2 days later they called me back and told me to take it to a body shop for estimate... with all that said and done, my insurance never know what happened.
You certainly don't--and I have been there. But if your car is undrivable, and you need a rental, if you don't go through your insurance company, you have to wait until the other driver's ins co agrees to fault, and you are without transportation in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #28
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
When I had State Farm and got in an accident, they told me to go get 3 quotes while they argued with the other insurance company about who was at fault (car was driveable). When I had Progressive, they just asked me for a preferred shop and towed the car there (car wasn't driveable). It waited for an adjuster to come by and estimate repair costs. Nothing about determining fault should slow down the initial process. By the time the repairs actually start, they should have those details ironed out. At no point should you have to throw spend any money if you're not at fault imo.
This is exactly what I said--except for the "at no point do you have to spend $$". By the time the repairs are done, if they have determined the other driver is at fault, you pay nothing. If not, or they determine that you are at fault, when the repairs are done, you show up to the body shop and you pay the shop your deductible and your insurance company pays the rest. If, after the repairs are done and paid for, it is determined that the other driver is at fault, the other insurance company will pay your insurance company, and your deductible will be refunded to you.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-09-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
jeffc83722.00
      01-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #29
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Nationwide estimated $952 to repair, repaint rear qtr and blend rear door. No word on fault yet... waiting for them to call me with the verdict apparently....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #30
SBM1206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Nationwide estimated $952 to repair, repaint rear qtr and blend rear door. No word on fault yet... waiting for them to call me with the verdict apparently....
Interesting. Since the other parties insurance doing the damage estimate it looks like they agreed that the fault (at least partial) is on their client.

If the other person agrees that it was her/his fault then you'll be OK. One way or another your deductible will be covered.

If the other person argues the guilt, your insurance company will very likely agree on 50%-50% responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #31
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Watch out, that guy is hacking the mainframe
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #32
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

How did the repair turn out?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #33
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Amazing. Went with your recommendation, Slavik (Sacramento, CA). Great guy and EXCELLENT work. Absolutely thrilled that I didnt have to break the factory paint. Will post pics this weekend when I wash it.

I believe the dents are 100% gone with very light scratching if you look really closely. I keep my car waxed which makes them not visible. Something Id rather live with than the surprise of someone messing with factory, metallic paint.

Also - found out Nationwide admitted full fault. They are sending me a check for the original estimate of $952.

All in all, I feel pretty lucky to get out of this mess relatively unscathed and a few hundred bucks richer. Thank goodness, I was honestly really upset and shocked when this happened. First accident of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #34
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Amazing. Went with your recommendation, Slavik (Sacramento, CA). Great guy and EXCELLENT work. Absolutely thrilled that I didnt have to break the factory paint. Will post pics this weekend when I wash it.

I believe the dents are 100% gone with very light scratching if you look really closely. I keep my car waxed which makes them not visible. Something Id rather live with than the surprise of someone messing with factory, metallic paint.

Also - found out Nationwide admitted full fault. They are sending me a check for the original estimate of $952.

All in all, I feel pretty lucky to get out of this mess relatively unscathed and a few hundred bucks richer. Thank goodness, I was honestly really upset and shocked when this happened. First accident of any sort.
Glad it worked out for you and Nationwide stepped up. I would've expected it though as it was a pretty cut and dry case there.

Yeah you should feel extremely "lucky" that your first "accident" was just a minor parking lot fender bender! I've had 4 cars totaled in 7 accidents and not one damn accident was my fault so I feel quite the opposite with my luck!

Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      01-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #35
SoDiezl350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport EBII

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, serious. Its called Multi-State... cheapest insurance I could find and it still cost me $2800 for twelve months of insurance. AAA quoted me $3300 for same coverage. I hate California.
Get a quote from Wawanesa. I pay 1800/year for an F30 and a C5 Vette. $500 deductible too.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      01-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #36
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Slavik did an amazing job. Really happy with the outcome. If you are in Northern Cali and require PDR, I would definitely recommend him. DM for contact info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00