F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > xDrive maintenance
ARMA SPEED

05-19-2022, 09:31 PM   #1
HomeRun
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i xDrive Luxury

xDrive maintenance

I've got a 2015 BMW 328i xDrive with almost 60k miles. A dealership told me that as part of the 60k mile service, I need to have the fluids changed in both differentials as well as the transfer case.

I called a couple of independent BMW auto shops and both of them told me an xDrive service isn't required at 60k miles. One of them told me the fluids used in the xDrive system are kind of like lifetime fluids and that 100k miles is more like it (in terms of replacing them).

My owner's manual doesn't have a maintenance schedule and I cannot find one online. Can somebody please help me with this?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 09:28 PM   #2
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRun View Post
I've got a 2015 BMW 328i xDrive with almost 60k miles. A dealership told me that as part of the 60k mile service, I need to have the fluids changed in both differentials as well as the transfer case.

I called a couple of independent BMW auto shops and both of them told me an xDrive service isn't required at 60k miles. One of them told me the fluids used in the xDrive system are kind of like lifetime fluids and that 100k miles is more like it (in terms of replacing them).

My owner's manual doesn't have a maintenance schedule and I cannot find one online. Can somebody please help me with this?
For indies to tell you to wait, it's weird. Money is money right?

50k or so is about the right range from FCPEURO and Kies...

Can it last to 100k? maybe, but why risk it. Either insist with the indy shop or find another one that will do it
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      05-20-2022, 10:03 PM   #3
MTTH
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 328xi |'18 440xi GranCoupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRun View Post

I've always heard around 60k is a good time to change fluids, including the AT fluid as well. I would adhere to that. 100k feels too long.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 02:48 AM   #4
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Depends how you use it.

If you tow or track or even light use - anything between 30k and 60k miles if you believe the Internet.

Maintenance schedule on my track car is every year or 5k miles.

From the zf website

https://aftermarket.zf.com/en/afterm...transmissions/

ZF automatic transmissions are generally filled with lifetime oil. However, due to the many factors influencing the service life of transmissions in individual operation, ZF recommends a oil change at regular intervals for its transmissions, especially In operating conditions with high temperatures and loads, or with unknown vehicle use in the past.

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemed...e-ml-11-en.pdf

Looking at the lubricant specs I could well believe the above - though the zf website talks about regular oil changes and oil analysis to see if a change is required and maintenance download says 150km ~94k miles

Personally I changed mine at 80k miles since I tow - including the diffs and bottom pan - this was £1200. Didn't bother with the transfer box.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
The dealership that told you 60k was right. Here's a cheat sheet:

More info here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1720987
rcaso26331.00
      05-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #6
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

OCD v BMW pushing long intervals v ZF maintenance schedule.

Take your pick.

The ZF transmission oil specs are are definitely longlife so I'm happy with the on or slightly before the official ZF transmission 150km oil change mark

I think my bank balance can't afford anything more regular than this.

Providing I've followed the official maintenance schedule, I've only had to say goodbye to my high milers (>160k miles) due accident, rust or other major component failure.

On the F30 the biggest systemic fault after the EGR and AC condenser, are the brake bleed nipples - I've had 3 brakecaliper replaced (fortunately under warranty) with forth caliper bleed nipples snapping when I had them replaced with stainless steel ones!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #7
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

I changed mine at about 86k miles. The indie shop said the transmission was still pretty good, however the front and rear diff and transfer case fluids needed the change.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
      05-29-2022, 11:07 AM   #8
Mark1892
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SPORT TOURING

Thanks for this, just picked up 2014 X-Drive with 71k miles and wondered if they would need doing soon. Seems to be no hurry but will do them this year.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 03:33 AM   #9
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

The PDF guide with the zf8 oil and filter kit states about 50k mile changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 11:35 AM   #10
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I've changed my transfer case, front and rear diff fluids at 170k miles. The fluids weren't in bad shape but they were due.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 12:41 AM   #11
Mark1892
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D SPORT TOURING

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickthecan View Post
The PDF guide with the zf8 oil and filter kit states about 50k mile changes.
I've just bought it so little I can do about it now, another 1 or 2 thousand miles won't make a difference. Hopefully
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #12
Tahoe9813
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330e and X5 xDrive40e

Thanks for this info. I was wondering the thoughts on an xDrive F15. Good info.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe9813 View Post
Thanks for this info. I was wondering the thoughts on an xDrive F15. Good info.
The fluid conversation is pretty much the same regardless of the specific model. Every car has a transmission and rear differential. The XDrive cars add a front differential and a Transfer Case.

You can never go wrong by changing fluids early and often.

If anyone says the words "Lifetime Fluid" to you, disregard any advice that they provide. Lifetime Fluid is a BMW marketing term and IMO a scam!

BMW defines the word "Lifetime" differently than every BMW owner in the world. BMW let's every owner assume their own common sense definition of Lifetime, while being extremely careful never to state a mileage number to define Lifetime.

BMW's own definition of Lifetime is essentially whatever mileage that BMW is no longer liable- so that would be the mileage limit of any warranties or service plans. So pretty much by 100k miles, BMW has no more legal obligation so they could care less if expensive components like transmissions, transfer cases, differentials fail. BMW's business is to sell new cars. So what if BMW owners incorrectly assumed a different definition of the word "Lifetime" than BMW is using.

A good portion of Americans think of cars as more disposable items with a lifespan of 100k miles. I'm told by overseas friends that they zealously perform regular maintenance to make their cars last up through 200k, 300k miles. And the resale market rewards that by maintaining relatively high value on what Americans consider high mileage cars. American consumers are used to considering a car over 100k miles to be suspect with a much lower resale value. Even meticulous maintenance records won't boost that resale value much unless one finds the right buyer who appreciates it.

The automatic transmission service is more expensive and requires 6-7 bottles of fluid. I use the ZF Kit from FCP Euro because ZF made the transmission. Can't get better than that. Every 60k miles or sooner.

The other three fluid servicings only require one bottle each and are easily done all at once to save labor if you can find a mechanic who will charge you hourly and not book rate as if each was done separately.

IMO there's no upside and more risk with aftermarket fluid marketing claims. So I use Genuine BMW fluid and only use a cheaper different label if it's well known that they make the Genuine fluid for BMW. Photos below of some fluids I use.

The front differential is a simple drain and refill. But the others lack a drain hole so they need to be suctioned out the fill hole and then refilled. The Transfer Case has a lot of stuff in the way inside it, so a thin suction tip is needed to move around in the crannies. If you get 2/3 of of TC fluid out then you've done well.

Front differential fluid video below.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2