F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding for adaptive headlights in Europe
Studio RSR

02-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Coding for adaptive headlights in Europe

Hi all,

I appreciate that a majority of people on this forum drive on the right side of the road. In the UK we drive on the left, and when I cross into Europe I need to switch off the adaptive headlights, otherwise I'll be blinding the oncoming traffic.

I'd like to investigate if this can be changed via coding, and maybe like the DRL ON/OFF option, maybe something that can be coded and then changed in the iDrive menu.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the lights/adaptive lights coding section is?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Lights are controlled in the FEM_BODY.

The camera is either FLA3 (for HBA only) or KAFAS (if you have SLI, front/side cameras, etc). You will have one or the other, not both.

Good hunting!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
He wrote AHL, not HBA.

FEM_BODY => C_BLC_ENA = F30disable should disable AHL.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:32 AM   #4
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Hi all,

I appreciate that a majority of people on this forum drive on the right side of the road. In the UK we drive on the left, and when I cross into Europe I need to switch off the adaptive headlights, otherwise I'll be blinding the oncoming traffic.

I'd like to investigate if this can be changed via coding, and maybe like the DRL ON/OFF option, maybe something that can be coded and then changed in the iDrive menu.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the lights/adaptive lights coding section is?
This may be useful:

Adaptive Headlights left/right hand drive
KAFAS>3050>LEFT_OR_RIGHT_HAND_DRIVING>>LEFT or RIGHT

Enable DRL options in iDrive
HU_NBT>3000> DAY_DRIVINGLIGHT>PERM_ON or STANDARD
      02-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
This may be useful:

Nice one. I've already coded the DRL, so it's now in my Lights Menu.

Have you tried the LEFT/RIGHT coding yourself? Be good if there was a new option in iDrive (like what they have in Mercs).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I just checked my car and it doesn't have the KAFAS module. I have the vis pack so I defo have the adaptive lights. Any ideas why it's missing?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just checked my car and it doesn't have the KAFAS module. I have the vis pack so I defo have the adaptive lights. Any ideas why it's missing?
KAFAS is only needed for Speed Limit Information and Lane Departure Warning. Are either of those part of the "vis pack"?

Automatic High Beams (High Beam Assistant) only uses cheaper FLA Camera.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Doh. Those I don't have.

The Visibility Pack in the UK comes with:
  • Rain sensor with automatic headlight activation
  • Headlight wash
  • Xenon headlights
  • Interior rear-view mirror with automatic anti-dazzle
  • Adaptive headlights
  • High-beam Assistant

It could well be the adaptive headlight for right hand drive cars are physically different from the left hand drive, the part numbers are different on realoem....if so this who thread is dead in the water.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So, you have nothing in the Visibility Pack that requires KAFAS Camera, which is why you have FLA Camera instead.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
This may be useful:

Nice one. I've already coded the DRL, so it's now in my Lights Menu.

Have you tried the LEFT/RIGHT coding yourself? Be good if there was a new option in iDrive (like what they have in Mercs).
I don't have the KAFAS camera so found this on BMWSKI's car.

My assumption is the same settings will be somewhere I the FLA module settings - I've not checked yet.

Will let you know if I figure it out.
      03-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Did anyone solve this in the end?

I need to programme my left hand drive 2012 F30 with CIC, active xenons and active full beam. I have Speed Limit Information but no Lane Departure Assistant; according to the above, though, I should still have the KAFAS camera (or KAFAS2 as it's called in my coding tree).

I've tried changing "KAFAS>3050>LEFT_OR_RIGHT_HAND_DRIVING>>LEFT or RIGHT" but the options I get are "right_hand_driving" or "left_hand_driving".

The default is "right_hand_driving" so presumably this is referring to the side of the road, not the side of the car the steering wheel is on. I've tried changing it but it keeps reverting when I re-open the KAFAS2 coding menu, whether I'm doing the programming online of offline. Saving doesn't seem to achieve anything.

What's puzzling me is that above, the KAFAS and FLA modules are referred to as different versions of camera, but in my KAFAS2 coding options 3050 is listed as "3050 FLA_CODING, 20".

Anyone got any idea what's going on? Or is it another option that I should be changing?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #12
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Did anyone solve this in the end?

I need to programme my left hand drive 2012 F30 with CIC, active xenons and active full beam. I have Speed Limit Information but no Lane Departure Assistant; according to the above, though, I should still have the KAFAS camera (or KAFAS2 as it's called in my coding tree).

I've tried changing "KAFAS>3050>LEFT_OR_RIGHT_HAND_DRIVING>>LEFT or RIGHT" but the options I get are "right_hand_driving" or "left_hand_driving".

The default is "right_hand_driving" so presumably this is referring to the side of the road, not the side of the car the steering wheel is on. I've tried changing it but it keeps reverting when I re-open the KAFAS2 coding menu, whether I'm doing the programming online of offline. Saving doesn't seem to achieve anything.

What's puzzling me is that above, the KAFAS and FLA modules are referred to as different versions of camera, but in my KAFAS2 coding options 3050 is listed as "3050 FLA_CODING, 20".

Anyone got any idea what's going on? Or is it another option that I should be changing?
Xenons Headlight Assembly have different hardware configuration for left hand drive vs right hand drive.

As noted, the headlight assembly is different for right hand drive.

So UK anti-dazzle will blind drivers in EU, if this is your wanted end result.

No way around that unless you want to change headlight assembly every time you go through Chunnel.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:05 AM   #13
jbeer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Shadow Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Xenons Headlight Assembly have different hardware configuration for left hand drive vs right hand drive.

No way around that unless you want to change headlight assembly every time you go through Chunnel.
When I had my Focus I had the same issue with my Xenons as nothing could be changed software wise.

What I found out is the with the Focus there was a leveller within the headlight unit that operated a lens shutter that can be slide which effectively blocks the glare pattern to the left for right hand drive cars. The reason for this function is that you were not supposed to apply the lens deflectors on the headlight unit itself.

Here is a picture of the Focus light unit with the lens shutter, not sure if this is also possible on the BMW but worth a shot.

[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/z...pszcmgxsay.jpg[/IMG]

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #14
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. The thing is that I don't have standard Xenons, I have adaptive xenons with adaptive full beam. Checking my vehicle spec from when I bought it I have:
522 Xenon Headlights
524 Adaptive Headlights
5AC Highbeam Assistant

I thought that having Adaptive Headlights and Highbeam Assistant meant that I could just reprogram the throw of the lights. I don't think there's a lever as the mechansim for these systems is quite complex. Or did the technology change shortly after I bought my car, as it did with the iDrive??
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:37 AM   #15
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 wheeler

There is a setting in iDrive to change the lights for driving in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #16
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDowson View Post
I've coded the option but it doesn't work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDowson View Post
There isn't on older F30s. I thought it was a CIC thing but apparently not...

Quote:
I've coded the option but it doesn't work.
I see you have NBT. What year is your car? What headlight options do you have? I really want to get to the bottom of what's needed to change the lights between LHD and RHD as noone seems to know!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There isn't on older F30s. I thought it was a CIC thing but apparently not...

I see you have NBT. What year is your car? What headlight options do you have? I really want to get to the bottom of what's needed to change the lights between LHD and RHD as noone seems to know!
I have told you.

Changing the Headlight Assembly is ONLY option with Xenons. It's a hardware issue, nothing that can be coded.

Otherwise, you will need to use manual High Beam in Europe with UK Car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #19
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have told you.

Changing the Headlight Assembly is ONLY option with Xenons. It's a hardware issue, nothing that can be coded.

Indeed, and in response I asked:

Quote:
Thanks guys. The thing is that I don't have standard Xenons, I have adaptive xenons with adaptive full beam. Checking my vehicle spec from when I bought it I have:
522 Xenon Headlights
524 Adaptive Headlights
5AC Highbeam Assistant

I thought that having Adaptive Headlights and Highbeam Assistant meant that I could just reprogram the throw of the lights. I don't think there's a lever as the mechansim for these systems is quite complex. Or did the technology change shortly after I bought my car, as it did with the iDrive??
I have double checked and I can't find any indication that even with the latest models BMW have stopped using Xenons for the main headlight beam. But I might be wrong - finding out details on BMW technology and when and how it's changed is often difficult.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:36 AM   #20
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep

OK so I've eventually found they're now using LEDs for the main headlight too - I hadn't realised that. So it's only cars with LED main headlights that support the side of the road being changed in the programming. Man, that's annoying. Doubly so that it's not really explained properly unless you dig and dig.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #21
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK so I've eventually found they're now using LEDs for the main headlight too - I hadn't realised that. So it's only cars with LED main headlights that support the side of the road being changed in the programming. Man, that's annoying. Doubly so that it's not really explained properly unless you dig and dig.
Exactly what I told you twice

Quote:

Quote:

As I had pointed out in the other thread (if you woukd have simply read it), there are different part numbers for the EU, UK and USA Xenon Headlight Assembly, due to left hand or right hand driving & masking for VLD.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192

Last edited by Kabrich; 03-11-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #22
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep

Dude. That isn't exactly what you told me twice. Your initial post wasn't clear to me as I didn't even realise LED mainbeams were a thing - I thought it was just the DRLs that can be LED - which is why I asked for clarification, which you didn't answer until I posted again. And I'd never seen your other thread before you linked to it in your last post - even if it had come up in my search I wouldn't have read it because it's about retrofitting US cars with European adaptive full beam which wouldn't have seemed relevant. And besides, it's 11 pages long, so it's not exactly a "simple" read.

Adding to my confusion is my colleague has just bought the outgoing 5 series with, he believes, "standard" lights - no active headlights or adaptive full beam - so, I would have thought, no LEDs. He has the option in his NBC to change the lights for driving on continental Europe. But for some reason his paperwork doesn't say whether he has Xenons or LEDs, which I do find hard to believe but he bought it cause the dealer had it in stock and wanted rid so he had no choice on options.

Anyway, despite all that you're the only one to explain why I've been unsuccessful and I'd otherwise still be chasing my tail on this so for that I thank you .
Appreciate 0