F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I need help guys! Ideas? (Boost leak?)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i

Hey guys, I'm currently running BM3 stage 2 91 octane with ER catted DP, full set of ER charge pipes, and a Phoenix FMIC.
I'm experiencing a whistling noise at high throttle and high RPM (4.5k and above). It's coming from the passenger side. If I lift off the throttle it goes away which leads me to believe its boost related. I have replaced my TIC pipe with the ER unit. I have removed and inspected the entire intake tract. I replaced the gaskets when I did the TIC. Nothing seems to change anything. You guys have any ideas?
N26 - ER charge and TIC pipe (brushed aluminum) - ER catted downpipe - GFB DV - Phoenix FMIC - BM3 Stg. 2 91 Octane - F80 steering wheel - Bimmian color-matched trunk spoiler - Sport seats with custom contrast stitching
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
redEYEjedi
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 / F15 / E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial328i View Post
Hey guys, I'm currently running BM3 stage 2 91 octane with ER catted DP, full set of ER charge pipes, and a Phoenix FMIC.
I'm experiencing a whistling noise at high throttle and high RPM (4.5k and above). It's coming from the passenger side. If I lift off the throttle it goes away which leads me to believe its boost related. I have replaced my TIC pipe with the ER unit. I have removed and inspected the entire intake tract. I replaced the gaskets when I did the TIC. Nothing seems to change anything. You guys have any ideas?
Did you run a smoke test yet?

Typical explanations would be missing O Rings/gaskets for leaks. If it's coming from the passenger side the TIC make sense.
      05-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post
Quote:
Did you run a smoke test yet?

Typical explanations would be missing O Rings/gaskets for leaks. If it's coming from the passenger side the TIC make sense.
Haven't done a smoke test. Like I said though, I upgraded the TIC and used new gaskets on both ends of it. Just took apart the piping from the air filter to the turbo today and nothing is cracked. I'm at a loss!
N26 - ER charge and TIC pipe (brushed aluminum) - ER catted downpipe - GFB DV - Phoenix FMIC - BM3 Stg. 2 91 Octane - F80 steering wheel - Bimmian color-matched trunk spoiler - Sport seats with custom contrast stitching
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

post up a logs and moniter your boost to see if theres a leak
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
post up a logs and moniter your boost to see if theres a leak
That was the first thing I tried, but I was having trouble getting my computer to behave. I have a foxwell obd reader that will do logs, maybe I'll try that.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #6
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Broke the fuel vent bung on the intake tube that attaches to the turbo. Sourced a replacement from El Cajon BMW for a competitive price (surprisingly, and thankfully because she's my daily). Swapped it out and the whistle is still there... is there a gasket between the hot and cold side of the turbo? Would a leak at the clamp for the downpipe lead to a whistle? I'm lost guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
Brant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320i

Hi Imperial,

I once experienced the same whistling issue which annoying me for more than a year, in my early story I also thought that was a leaking issue.

It turns out it's the drop-in K&N air filter was too dry to work quietly, meaning that the air passing the filter is more than needed, my whistling issue got solved after cleaning and put some new oil on it. It's now works quietly at all RPM and the torque is back.

If you are using any drop-in aftermarket air filter, please feel free to give it a try.
320i N20 8AT | ÷hlins DFV Suspension | RAYS 19" ZE40 w/ GoodYear F1A2+A3 | BMS JB4 Map5 | MP Brake Kit | WT Competition FMIC EVO 1 | Stone Eddy Catalytic DP | ARQRAY Performance Exhaust | GFB DV+ Blow off Valve
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #8
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

i have a whistling sound coming from the passenger side when accelerating too but i log and moniter it and all seems fine. take a vid if you can
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2019, 01:22 AM   #9
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brant View Post
Hi Imperial,

I once experienced the same whistling issue which annoying me for more than a year, in my early story I also thought that was a leaking issue.

It turns out it's the drop-in K&N air filter was too dry to work quietly, meaning that the air passing the filter is more than needed, my whistling issue got solved after cleaning and put some new oil on it. It's now works quietly at all RPM and the torque is back.

If you are using any drop-in aftermarket air filter, please feel free to give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
i have a whistling sound coming from the passenger side when accelerating too but i log and moniter it and all seems fine. take a vid if you can
Thanks for the input guys! So today I checked out my exhaust side. The downpipe clamp has come really loose somehow. I tightened it down and the whistling is better but not gone. I tightened the clamp between downpipe and catback but it wasn't really very loose. I'm thinking the turbo/DP clamp got misaligned. I'm gonna check that out. Also I kinda mangled the weird ass gasket (N26) between DP and catback when I installed the DP. May replace that. I'll post updates as I get them. Thank you all again for sharing all your experience with me so far. Cheers!
Appreciate 1
bmwchue171.00

05-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update

So my downpipe clamp being loose was definitely the issue. Turns out, according to my Bentley manual, that clamp is one time use. That would explain why I've had to tighten it again and again these last few days. Even after tightening the whistle doesn't fully go away. I suspect the blow by tatered the gasket. I just picked up a clamp and gasket (and lock wire) today, gonna install when she's cold in the morning. Hopefully if I can get it all right and snug while it's cold, when it heats up it can all expand together and it will be completely sealed again.
Appreciate 1
bmwchue171.00

05-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I spoke too soon! I replaced the DP gasket and clamp. Whistle is still present. There's one last thing to check... the clamp at the bottom of the DP which has this funky gasket for the N26. I'll change it out, but if it doesn't help then.... I guess I just have a whistley car!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
floridaorange
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Could be small exhaust leak. Is the whistle constant or does it change volume upon acceleration?
      05-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #13
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Could be small exhaust leak. Is the whistle constant or does it change volume upon acceleration?
It only happens under hard throttle at RPM above like 3.5k. If I ease off the throttle, even though the rpm is the same, the whistle goes away. I bought that clamp today, I'll be installing it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #14
floridaorange
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Highly likely the CP or TIC pipe connection. I reused my clamps but also added additional clamps similar to the kind you are installing.
      05-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #15
Lukelar1283
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328ixdrive

Quote:
I spoke too soon! I replaced the DP gasket and clamp. Whistle is still present. There's one last thing to check... the clamp at the bottom of the DP which has this funky gasket for the N26. I'll change it out, but if it doesn't help then.... I guess I just have a whistley car!
Following I feel I may be having this same issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #16
pustinek
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Highly likely the CP or TIC pipe connection. I reused my clamps but also added additional clamps similar to the kind you are installing.

Ok so i may have similar problem. Car had 30k miles when i bought it. I now made around 35k more miles all with tuned car from bm3.

The problem only appeared recently. I am scheduled to bring the car tomorrow to the shop so they take a look at it. I will firstly check that no connections are loose inside the engine bay.

If they are not i guees its time for a new (bigger) turbo

Last edited by pustinek; 05-21-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #17
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Exasperation. I replaced the downstream clamp on the downpipe and the whistle remains unchanged. I guess it's just a power whistle. Only happens when you mean business

I might use an exhaust wrap on the bellows portion of the downpipe to see if somehow that is leaking. Another idea is to get some silicone joiners and systematically wrap all the charge air circuit connections with to see if that makes a difference. Sigh.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #18
pustinek
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

My guees would be something is loose on intake rather than exhaust side. Since my downpipe has came loose and fallen down even and the sound is very obvious. You even have some fuel fumes under the hood.

I think its either intake side leak or something is wrong with turbo.

Did you guys have problem with leaking oil feed line? Mine leaked and i was even low on oil when i got it replaced
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #19
Lukelar1283
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328ixdrive

Quote:
Exasperation. I replaced the downstream clamp on the downpipe and the whistle remains unchanged. I guess it's just a power whistle. Only happens when you mean business

I might use an exhaust wrap on the bellows portion of the downpipe to see if somehow that is leaking. Another idea is to get some silicone joiners and systematically wrap all the charge air circuit connections with to see if that makes a difference. Sigh.
I have been doing some digging and I found one person earlier who had a catless DP and bm3 installed with a stock muffler and had the whistle. He then went and did a muffler delete and the whistle was gone. Maybe itís coming from the muffler somehow? When Iím near a barrier on the freeway it almost sounds like the noise is coming from the rear end. But when the sound is not bouncing off anything I seem to hear the whistle coming from the passenger side. Is this similar to what your hearing as well?
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #20
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukelar1283 View Post
Quote:

I have been doing some digging and I found one person earlier who had a catless DP and bm3 installed with a stock muffler and had the whistle. He then went and did a muffler delete and the whistle was gone. Maybe it’s coming from the muffler somehow? When I’m near a barrier on the freeway it almost sounds like the noise is coming from the rear end. But when the sound is not bouncing off anything I seem to hear the whistle coming from the passenger side. Is this similar to what your hearing as well?
Hmm, I appreciate the research you did. I haven't yet attempted to make the whistle while next to a wall. I'll try that. That would be interesting. Too much back pressure from the stock setup?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #21
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pustinek View Post
My guees would be something is loose on intake rather than exhaust side. Since my downpipe has came loose and fallen down even and the sound is very obvious. You even have some fuel fumes under the hood.

I think its either intake side leak or something is wrong with turbo.

Did you guys have problem with leaking oil feed line? Mine leaked and i was even low on oil when i got it replaced
I'm trying to think what could be wrong with the turbo. The noise is 100% due to high pressure air or exhaust escaping somewhere. The only thing I can think of is if the turbine or compressor housing is cracked.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:03 AM   #22
Imperial328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukelar1283 View Post
Quote:

I have been doing some digging and I found one person earlier who had a catless DP and bm3 installed with a stock muffler and had the whistle. He then went and did a muffler delete and the whistle was gone. Maybe it’s coming from the muffler somehow? When I’m near a barrier on the freeway it almost sounds like the noise is coming from the rear end. But when the sound is not bouncing off anything I seem to hear the whistle coming from the passenger side. Is this similar to what your hearing as well?
So I just accelerated hard next to a wall with all the windows down. It kinda seemed to be coming from all around, not just the passenger side. I'm intrigued by this idea about the muffler, maybe it's time to upgrade to an M performance? Do you remember where you found that thread about the muffler delete? Or even what you searched for?
Appreciate 0