F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *** bootmod3 for BMW B58 - Now Available ***
Extreme Powerhouse

05-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #661
G.Newt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Got a CEL last week on my CG 5" catted DP. I cleared the code and flashed back to stock before bringing it to the dealer for a brake flush. Flashed it back to Stage 2 91 when I got home and haven't seen it since. Also didn't get the CEL for the first few weeks of running it, so I chalk it up to a rich mixture anomaly.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #662
InstigatorX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Got the oil error fixed a la some remote coding from bm3 support. Thanks, Serge!

Just took car out for a quick lap...

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5cd49b60ae729b5de7fca522

Anything jump out ? There are some knocks...should I be concerned?

Will grab WOT logs tomorrow, but want to make sure.

Thanks j1980mac for point me in right direction.
Appreciate 1
j1980mac174.50

05-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #663
dotfiles
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport Track Pack

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstigatorX View Post
Got the oil error fixed a la some remote coding from bm3 support. Thanks, Serge!

http://www.bootmod3.net/www/index.ht...1#/drawer/logs

Cant view that log. Go to the log you want to share and click "Share link"

Previous: 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE | B7 Audi A4 APR Tuned | E46 330ci
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #664
InstigatorX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
Quote:

http://www.bootmod3.net/www/index.ht...1#/drawer/logs

Cant view that log. Go to the log you want to share and click "Share link"
OP updated. Sorry about the amateur hour. 🤪
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #665
dotfiles
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport Track Pack

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
OP updated. Sorry about the amateur hour. ��
Logs look fine, post another once you get a WOT log through 3rd or 4th gear.
Try to start the log right before the pull and stop it right after.

Previous: 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE | B7 Audi A4 APR Tuned | E46 330ci
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 11:48 PM   #666
MTWO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5cd49b60ae729b5de7fca522

Looking good!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #667
Solid67
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i xdrive

Does anyone know when OTS v1.7 is coming out? Also, when is the OTS map that will be optimized for XHP trans tune coming out?
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #668
celbii
Rep
Drives: 1993 FD3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid67 View Post
Does anyone know when OTS v1.7 is coming out? Also, when is the OTS map that will be optimized for XHP trans tune coming out?
Id also be interested in a XHP map.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #669
InstigatorX
Private
United_States
Rep

WOT in 3rd...thoughts?

Run 1: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5cd726f5c090c61546700a4b
Run 2: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5cd727f2c090c61546700a4f
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #670
Gurds7
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i xDrive M Sport

I was also curious if there would be a v1.7 and what improvements would be a part of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #671
Shortgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i msport

Garage List
2016 340i msport  [0.00]
2008 328  [0.00]
😊😊😊😊
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #672
Wires
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I've been a strong advocator that the sport gauges are "fluff" marketing since there is no physical torque measuring devices in the driveline, but considering the DME works off of torque targets vs boost targets, is this actually valid?

If the fuel is 91 octane, MAF is giving air flow and density, and the DME knows how much fuel its spraying, couldn't the sport gauges be pretty close based on a decent math? HP is nothing more than torque, RPM and a constant....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:01 AM   #673
flyknit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Hi, I just flashed my 440i with bm3 stage 1 (93). I set the exhaust flap to open but the flap remain closed comfort mode. It open in sports mode. Anyone exp the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 05:12 AM   #674
flyknit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyknit View Post
Hi, I just flashed my 440i with bm3 stage 1 (93). I set the exhaust flap to open but the flap remain closed comfort mode. It open in sports mode. Anyone exp the same issue?
Also, it seems in comfort, the burble is gone..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #675
340iNL
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 340i, G12 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Quote:
Also, it seems in comfort, the burble is gone..
I bought and flashed yesterday (stage 1 91 b58), I was worried that in comfort mode the flap would be open and it would burble. Luckily this wasn't the case! I don't want to open the flap and get burble in comfort mode because it's my daily driver. I thought I had to close each ride the valve/flap with my Carly adapter but it isn't necessary.
When you go full throttle in comfort mode it sometimes burbles when shifting, which is fine for me. I'm just using the OTS settings.
I don't know why someone would have open valves/flap in comfort mode. With MPPSK it's really loud and when driving on the highway it's annoying. So for me it's not an issue...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #676
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I've been a strong advocator that the sport gauges are "fluff" marketing since there is no physical torque measuring devices in the driveline, but considering the DME works off of torque targets vs boost targets, is this actually valid?

If the fuel is 91 octane, MAF is giving air flow and density, and the DME knows how much fuel its spraying, couldn't the sport gauges be pretty close based on a decent math? HP is nothing more than torque, RPM and a constant....
They're pretty close, yes.

It's not the BMW world, but one of the VW/Audi tuners has compared the ECU-reported torque with what they measure on an engine dyno (not a chassis dyno like we can access, directly hooking the flywheel to a dyno to remove drivetrain losses) and they're actually REALLY accurate stock.

In that world, since there is no 'torque gauge' in the cabin, they tend to make the ECU continue to report the stock torque to avoid transmission intervention and other issues, so once it's tuned, it's no longer accurate. But that's an intentional decision by the tuner. They could have maintained the correct torque calculation if they chose to.
Appreciate 1
kern4171497.50

05-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #677
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post

The torque tables can be modified. So they can use the same torque targets as stock but modify the tables so it's making more power than stock, even though the targets/gauges read the same.

Basically you tell the car what hp is being created for a given MAF/Fuel pressure/boost/etc, not the other way around. The fact that PTF just updated the gauges show's how easily it can be manipulated to say whatever you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #678
Mikej0h
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30 2018

I've been reading this thread for some time now and thought it would be a good idea to write about my experience.

I've purchased my license through a Belgian tuner, to be able to get a VAT invoice. Seemed to be a logical choice for me as via the PTF site I would not have that benefit.

After passing my car details (540i from 01-2018) I was able to activate my license.
I hoped I would be able to already fill in the key, but for the first time you really need to be connected to the car.

Flashing the first time was a bit exciting but nervous at the same time (if this goes wrong my warranty is void....). The flash advices to turn of fan and headlights off and to use a battery backup whenever possible. Keep windows shut and wear your seatbelt (probably to prevent the car into sleep). Then you start the car without depressing the brake so it will be in the accessory mode (no engine running).

As said, nervous times when you hit the "Flash" button ...
And I can tell you, the first flash takes some time 5-10 minutes, but hell, it felt like an hour. All kinds of errors popup, but also disappear after some time. Then the best message that you hope for, "wait for 5 seconds and start the car". I waited some more to make sure I didn't miscount :-).
All well, stopped the car and looked into the options (right top screen) to customize the pops and farts. After some changes I hope hit flash again, and again I get the gratious message to start the car. Vroem.... "DRIVETRAIN ERROR".

NOOOO. I thought; Warranty *poof*, was what I was thinking. After some time I test drove the car... Limpmode. Sh*t, now I really got an issue (how am I going to weasel out of this at the dealership....).
I was advised by the Belgian tuner to create a ticket with PTF. After ~ 3 hours I got a response asking me whether I already had a tune. I indicated I have the MPPSK, but nothing extra.

Serge from PTF offered to do a remote session.
After fidling around, it was an "external" tune. The story seems that my MPPSK was not done at the factory (but afterwards) and this messed up some IDs in the software.
Serge nuked my account and fixed it on the backend.
I flashed again and the problems were gone.

And man! It's fast, it's responsive. It's all I hoped and wished for.
Why did I write up this story? Yes the process is easy, but it sometimes doesn't work as expected. Then it counts how the supplier acts, and I can't say other then perfect.

Everybody who is still doubting, just do it. If some issues come up, there will be help!

As a purist I will soon make some data logs (when all the components of the DIY agent are in) as I feel comfort mode can have some minor improvements. I'm sure the guys at PTF will also take a serious note on that.

/Out
Appreciate 3
      05-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #679
flyknit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iNL View Post
I bought and flashed yesterday (stage 1 91 b58), I was worried that in comfort mode the flap would be open and it would burble. Luckily this wasn't the case! I don't want to open the flap and get burble in comfort mode because it's my daily driver. I thought I had to close each ride the valve/flap with my Carly adapter but it isn't necessary.
When you go full throttle in comfort mode it sometimes burbles when shifting, which is fine for me. I'm just using the OTS settings.
I don't know why someone would have open valves/flap in comfort mode. With MPPSK it's really loud and when driving on the highway it's annoying. So for me it's not an issue...
Well, Iím happy if that works for you. Maybe my akrapovic is not as loud as your mppsk as I prefer the exhaust note to be a little bassy.

I suppose what I would like to know is whatís the effect of setting the exhaust flap to open, close, oem. Iíd thought open means always open (coming from jb4), close means always close and oem is stock. If setting open only apply to sport, isnít that the same as oem?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #680
Wires
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
They're pretty close, yes.

It's not the BMW world, but one of the VW/Audi tuners has compared the ECU-reported torque with what they measure on an engine dyno (not a chassis dyno like we can access, directly hooking the flywheel to a dyno to remove drivetrain losses) and they're actually REALLY accurate stock.

In that world, since there is no 'torque gauge' in the cabin, they tend to make the ECU continue to report the stock torque to avoid transmission intervention and other issues, so once it's tuned, it's no longer accurate. But that's an intentional decision by the tuner. They could have maintained the correct torque calculation if they chose to.
Gotcha. That makes perfect sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #681
340iNL
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 340i, G12 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Well, I’m happy if that works for you. Maybe my akrapovic is not as loud as your mppsk as I prefer the exhaust note to be a little bassy.

I suppose what I would like to know is what’s the effect of setting the exhaust flap to open, close, oem. I’d thought open means always open (coming from jb4), close means always close and oem is stock. If setting open only apply to sport, isn’t that the same as oem?
I think the setting in the maps are for sport mode and not comfort mode. It says:
''Exhaust Flap (Sport)":
- OEM (original settings of your car)
- OPEN (always open)
- CLOSED (always closed)

As you stated OEM is the same as open in my case and probably yours with the Akrapovic. With the MPPSK it's always open in Sport. But maybe the stock exhaust closes in sport mode under a 2000 rpm for example? I don't know.

I have no experience with JB4.

Earlier posts on this forum ask as well for a separate comfort mode setting. They want to open the exhaust just like you. I'd rather have a softer version of the comfort mode, with less aggressive throttle... it may be a good suggestion to the bootmod3 team to have the ability to change comfort mode to your own preferences.

Edit:
Just went for a short drive on new map settings. Not really a difference between Flap on OPEN or OEM.
But somehow it seems my burble settings in sport and sport+ are inverted or the same... I switched Exhaust Flap (sport) to OPEN instead of OEM. Sport settings (aggression 2, duration 1.5 sec) and sport+ settings (aggression 5.5, duration 5 sec) but in normal sport, the car is louder, also the duration seems to be 5 sec in both modes. Sport seems the loudest though... or maybe it is the same.
Anything can advise me why or how this could be resolved? It's stage 1 91 octane.

Last edited by 340iNL; 05-17-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #682
flyknit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Duration is how long the burble last. What is aggression for? Is aggression control how loud the burble?
Appreciate 0