F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Why is Active Cruise so rare in the UK?
European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #23
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: 430D M Sport Convertible

I'm living in ignorance as I know ACC would be a great option for me but once I experience that then I know I'm screwed as so few cars spec it. So many cars come with dumb options such as heated steering wheel or high beam assist which when I had it I turned it on 20 tiles but only ever saw it work once.
Appreciate 1
Pequin150.50

05-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
isleaiw1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
I'm living in ignorance as I know ACC would be a great option for me but once I experience that then I know I'm screwed as so few cars spec it. So many cars come with dumb options such as heated steering wheel or high beam assist which when I had it I turned it on 20 tiles but only ever saw it work once.
you see, you call them dumb but some people love them. Just because they arent what you would spec then that doesnt make them dumb!!

I have HBA on my SQ5 and it works much better than I do....at dipping the lights and going back to main beam anyway! Havent got heated wheel as you couldnt have that with the flat bottom - now that is a stupid extra, but I wouldnt be without it!!
Appreciate 1
Pequin150.50

05-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #25
sync24
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M-Sport Touring

I have it on my Golf R and use it all the time on the motorway ETC it works great and is v useful in average speed limits ETC. I have also spec'd it on my last "off the line" F31 that is due for delivery in 2 weeks :-)

It better be as useful as the Golf ACC!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #26
RobUK
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Didn't spec it on mine - didn't want it - never missed it

(Have tried it in the other half's cars - didn't like it).

05-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #27
Pequin
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
I agree, I have a heated steering wheel and park assist, I will never use park assist and the heated steering wheel made my hands sweaty. I want folding dimming mirrors, they have a purpose.
      05-16-2019, 01:22 AM   #28
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

High beam assist is a clever idea which basically never works. Not in any of the cars I have had it anyway. It's far too conservative to be useful.

Park assist has to be the best idea which never works. Self parking cars sounds amazing. Then you watch someone try and make it work and laugh.

Self driving cruise control with emergency braking would be a much better idea. Right until you get the cock who decides to cut in to your safety gap to move 1 car ahead in rush hour motorway traffic which means you have to slow down and then the next one does it and again.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:00 AM   #29
RobUK
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So many cars come with dumb options such as heated steering wheel or high beam assist which when I had it I turned it on 20 tiles but only ever saw it work once.
As always, one man's dumb option is another man's useful feature. I suffer from arthritis in my left hand but I hate wearing gloves to drive. On cold winter mornings the heated steering wheel does provide a small measure of relief and while it may just be a placebo effect, I'd spec it again.
      05-16-2019, 02:08 AM   #30
Skyhigh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I'd say the opposite! Almost every UK 3 Series is an M Sport, when I go to Europe or USA i see mainly SE models!? :
I don't know where you have been or whether I have only been to silly places in UK, but I have never seen such a high percentage of underspeced premium cars as in UK.
Here's a challange - count the Audis with hallogen headlights you see on the motorway. I see one every 2/3 weeks in Europe. And approximately 20 per day in UK.
Same goes for F3x with/without ACC.
      05-16-2019, 02:18 AM   #31
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
As always, one man's dumb option is another man's useful feature. I suffer from arthritis in my left hand but I hate wearing gloves to drive. On cold winter mornings the heated steering wheel does provide a small measure of relief and while it may just be a placebo effect, I'd spec it again.
Obviously exceptions to every rule but I'm pretty sure that the 99% of the time it's not for medical reasons.

I have the heated steering wheel and I use it in winter. But my point was more to do with the lack of sensible options in favour of these crazy ones such as park assist etc
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:21 AM   #32
DaveA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport

Quote:
Obviously exceptions to every rule but I'm pretty sure that the 99% of the time it's not for medical reasons.

I have the heated steering wheel and I use it in winter. But my point was more to do with the lack of sensible options in favour of these crazy ones such as park assist etc
Park Assist is not crazy when you think where there is significant development in technology being undertaken... Whatever your personal thoughts on autonomy in vehicles, it is being developed seriously and with intent...

Many of these technologies now being fitted to cars as safety and/or convenience are seeding trust for the future... radar and camera based aid systems now are the prototype radar and camera based controls of the future...

Just think of the development of smart communications devices in the last 10/20 years...

CURRENT - 2019 VW Golf GTI 245 Performance. HISTORY - BMW F30 340i M Sport Auto - BMW F30 330d M Sport Auto w/t M Performance Power Pack - BMW F30 320d Sport - Porsche 997 Gen2 GT3 - Porsche Cayman S - Porsche Boxster S - Seat Ibiza Cupra - VW Polo 16v - BMW E30 M3 (genuine GB import) - Honda Integra 16v - VW Mk2 Polo S - VW Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:21 AM   #33
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I don't know where you have been or whether I have only been to silly places in UK, but I have never seen such a high percentage of underspeced premium cars as in UK.
Here's a challange - count the Audis with hallogen headlights you see on the motorway. I see one every 2/3 weeks in Europe. And approximately 20 per day in UK.
Same goes for F3x with/without ACC.
Most Audi are company leases.

I'm convinced that Audi sell no cars other than company leases. There is barely any used stock for sale in their network or auto trader. Their big demo event had one S4 nationwide for sale. Not a single TTS coupe. One TTS roadster and no S5 with a few S3.

Audi have the cheapest company car fleet discounts of any premium brand. It's a way they keep their dealership prices high but also shifting volume to keep costs lower.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #34
Skyhigh
Captain
Rep

And yet one of the most sold models in UK is Audi TT.
Or from the other perspective - no country has more TTs per capita than UK.
      05-16-2019, 02:28 AM   #35
JustChris
Lieutenant General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

For me I still have a perception/misconception of Active Cruise from observing perhaps poorly implemented Mercedes versions:-

10. Scenario Posh Merc in Outside Lane of the Motorway
20. 250 yards gap to the car in front
30. EVERYONE pull out from the inside lane between Merc and the car in front
40. Merc can be seen braking to make a nice 250 yard space for everyone to
50. Loop to 30.

Excuse the rather geeky Basic code reference to demonstrate the ongoing loop. I'm certain that the modern tech is much better than this now and proper driving (tailgating to cut the gaps) is properly possible. I have drive a 7 series demo with the feature seemed pretty good but was not in Mway traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:58 AM   #36
teaston
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
For me I still have a perception/misconception of Active Cruise from observing perhaps poorly implemented Mercedes versions:-

50. Loop to 30.

Excuse the rather geeky Basic code reference to demonstrate the ongoing loop. I'm certain that the modern tech is much better than this now and proper driving (tailgating to cut the gaps) is properly possible. I have drive a 7 series demo with the feature seemed pretty good but was not in Mway traffic.
Even the BMW ACC needs a a mode closer to the car in front, they could call it Audi mode!
JustChris7314.50
Pequin150.50

05-16-2019, 03:06 AM   #37
Skyhigh
Captain
Rep

Your observation is correct. However, in F3x one can select the distance to be maintained to the car in front, which is also not an absolute value, but speed-dependent. It does not need to be a 250 yard space, as long as it is within safety margins. (which may leave more space than you'd do yourself driving manually).

From my experience with the ACC in the F3x, the 4 most annoying things (in that order) are:

1.When driving on a road the car in front slows down (almost stops) to turn right into a small road. The ACC correctly identifies the situation and slows down behind. Once the car is gone however, it takes WAAAAY too long time for the ACC to "wake up" and accelerate again. Annoys both me and the cars behind who start thinking I've fallen asleep.

2. The F3x ACC takes no input from the speed limit recognition system, as Audi's ACCs do. This requires one to pay constant attention and keep adjusting the speed according to the (sometimes very dynamically) changing speed limits. In an Audi, the ACC adjusts its set speed according to the speed limit signs, helping to avoid tickets.

3. In stop&go, if the car stops (I think for more than a couple of seconds?), the driver has to push the accelerator to get it going again. It does not continue following automatically.

4. ACC is not very usable in roundabouts... it loses sight of the car in front, which leads to inadequate acceleration just as you are entering the roundabout.

So my feelings about the ACC are mixed. It is a useful feature, but it really depends on your environment. If you ask me, it is only helpful for cruising on a not too busy motorway OR following traffic on a road (where one depends on the car in front to maintain speed within speed limits). The latter is actually where it really takes work off the driver.

My Audi has a conventional CC (no A). While the A is a clear improvement and valuable feature, I can't see myself using the ACC much more often than I do the CC (which is very rare). But my environment is also not very suitable, it must be said.
      05-16-2019, 03:21 AM   #38
DaveA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

50. Loop to 30.

The problem is that the technology is sound, it is the crap driving of others that causes this infinite loop.. I have folk undertake me and pull into the "gap" in front... It was a safe gap until they did that...

I genuinely think the problem is that most folk do not have any conception of how genuinely dangerous and violent a high-speed impact/incident is... How quickly things can change... and how threatening (even in modern cars) one would be to their wellbeing...

They feel immune as they have poor risk perception...

Until we start policing this in a proper way, things are unlikely to change... Germany does this (using cameras on bridges, I believe) and the fines/bans are related to how close you are and at what speed you were going...

CURRENT - 2019 VW Golf GTI 245 Performance. HISTORY - BMW F30 340i M Sport Auto - BMW F30 330d M Sport Auto w/t M Performance Power Pack - BMW F30 320d Sport - Porsche 997 Gen2 GT3 - Porsche Cayman S - Porsche Boxster S - Seat Ibiza Cupra - VW Polo 16v - BMW E30 M3 (genuine GB import) - Honda Integra 16v - VW Mk2 Polo S - VW Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
JustChris7314.50

05-16-2019, 03:24 AM   #39
isleaiw1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: varies

Quote:
Most Audi are company leases.

I'm convinced that Audi sell no cars other than company leases. There is barely any used stock for sale in their network or auto trader. Their big demo event had one S4 nationwide for sale. Not a single TTS coupe. One TTS roadster and no S5 with a few S3.

Audi have the cheapest company car fleet discounts of any premium brand. It's a way they keep their dealership prices high but also shifting volume to keep costs lower.
Which company were you a fleet manager for to get those stats? A clue, I have been and my son in law has also, we would both disagree...

I know 4 people with Audiís. 3 bought new. Guess what, all bought privately...

So you are convinced wrong. Again.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:50 AM   #40
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have acc in the v90 and I like it now I'm used to it. You can easily adjust the distance gap and make it small enough to be safe still but not invite the morons in.

The full auto pilot is ok on quieter motorways and dual carriageway s but is irritating when it wants you to be too near the left lane and you battle the car.

Handy if you want a 30sec power nap though...

I dont see the point of normal cc in this country as you are always having to adjust speed by a few mph and we dont have 000s of miles of empty motorway.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:07 AM   #41
ian332isport
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I don't have ACC, and rarely use regular CC. I do however like and use the Limit function. This allows you to drive at a set (maximum) speed without having to monitor the speedo all the time, but also allows a simple lift of the foot if you need to slow down slightly.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #42
RobUK
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
The problem is that the technology is sound, it is the crap driving of others that causes this infinite loop.. I have folk undertake me and pull into the "gap" in front... It was a safe gap until they did that..
Oh god, if only I had a quid for every time someone does that

Your safety margin becomes some idiot's overtaking opportunity. Wish they'd make 'commonsense' classes compulsory at school because most UK drivers seem to think that one car length is sufficient at any speed!

05-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #43
Fazil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i '16

Just my 10 pence
I have it on a 15 plate golf nd love it. As people have said, on a long journey, it's perfect. Put it on. Set distance, relax.. Maintains speed well, good for econess as its a company car too. Nd works perfect in traffic on motorway etc besides rush hour when moving speed is too slow.

On the bmw, just standard cruise works but it's not ideal in traffic
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #44
agentorange
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
The problem is that the technology is sound, it is the crap driving of others that causes this infinite loop.. I have folk undertake me and pull into the "gap" in front... It was a safe gap until they did that...
So you've driven in the US, I see.

Asphalt Agoraphobia is a major disease over here. Consider this scenario I went through with an American born passenger on a quiet freeway. I promise I couldn't make this shit up.

I joined said freeway and set my cruise at about 5mph over. Traffic was light and there was a small knot of cars about 300m ahead, spread across all four lanes.

After about 10 seconds my passenger says, "Aren't you going to keep up with the traffic?" I found this odd as the knot of cars (remember that term) was about the same distance away that it was when I merged.

Me, "I am keeping up with traffic, it's the same distance in front it always was."

Passenger, "Errm, but you're not UP with them."

By this stage my passenger is squirming like he has ants in his pants. It seems that so much unoccupied road surface in the immediate view is freaking him out, which is funny because I happen to know he is claustrophobic.

Me, "Well, to catch them up I'd have to speed, and why would I want to be closer?"

Passenger (now clearly with a hungry Conger Eel up his crack), "But it's not speeding if you are just catching up other traffic to keep up".

Me, "I AM keeping up. They're no farther away than when we joined the freeway".

Passenger (his Conger has now been joined by an Octopus) says in a pleading voice, "But you're too far away!!!"

Me, "Oohhh! So you want me to tailgate! Nope, that ain't happening."

More hilarity followed on the definition of tailgating and me explaining the 2 second rule. The latter hit the "does not compute" firewall pretty hard, I'm afraid.

BTW, the passenger only got away with this conversation because I was related to him at the time. Anybody else would have been getting an Uber at the nearest exit.

Remember the "knot of cars" phrase? That's how many Americans like to travel. Maybe they were all scared by the Tremors films and believe that too much road space will allow some critter with more teeth and eyes than the Vienna Boys Choir to burst up through the tarmac. Sheesh. They duck and dive in and out to ensure that the maximum amount of road surface in their vicinity is covered. Try using ACC in that mess and see how you like it.
Appreciate 1
RobUK1151.00