F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > is it totaled??
Studio RSR

11-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #23
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson335 View Post
FWIW- my '15 335xi was hit ~2 years ago only 3 months after buying it as a CPO. State Farm replaced everything with genuine BMW parts, and I chose to use an independent body shop instead of a BMW dealer/certified location.

I was surprised that mine was not totaled. In my case the car was valued at ~$28k at the time of the accident (only 30k miles), and State Farm put ~$18k into repairs (although the initial estimate was only $11-12k). My damage appears worse than yours (based on the pics you shared), if that helps you feel any better on the potential of repairing. I believe the general rule of thumb is insurance companies will put ~80% of the vehicle's value into repairs before they will total it. The current used car market should help the argument to repair yours.

Best of luck, I hope you get good news this week…not a fun situation to deal with.

P.S. I've included 2 pics of my car's damage if it helps.
phew that is some ugly damage man and on the driver's side too. bless you bro.. but that gives me hope my baby will live through this.

Does the car feel normal to drive or can u feel like... it different when driving it? I'm very particular about my baby but it's finally going to the body shop today so will know more soon I hope
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #24
Maximus92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30, 2012, 320i

Idk where you are from, but that is far from a totaled car according to the pictures. 🤦🏻*♂️ insurance is gonna cover it so whats the problem? It's clearly lady's fault. It will take some time but I don't see a reason to be so dramatic.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #25
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdriver320i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEaterF30 View Post
Welp my heart has officially broke today... This past Wednesday I was severely rear ended by a distracted driver and I'm pretty sure my 328 msport package is done for... man did I love this car.

Let me start this car show by showing the good then the ugly...
I was thinking it could be a total loss with 85k on a 15 due to the creased rear quarter and other parts. Sorry for your situation. I hope this can be resolved for you.
my thoughts exactly when I seen the quarters.. I'll keep the post updated with finding.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #26
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus92 View Post
Idk where you are from, but that is far from a totaled car according to the pictures. * insurance is gonna cover it so whats the problem? It's clearly lady's fault. It will take some time but I don't see a reason to be so dramatic.
fuck it I got time today seeing as I'm out of work injured from all this..

like I said. I've never been through a situation like this before and am getting all the feedback I can... thanks for your opinion though
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #27
ctdriver320i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus92 View Post
Idk where you are from, but that is far from a totaled car according to the pictures. 🤦🏻*♂️ insurance is gonna cover it so whats the problem? It's clearly lady's fault. It will take some time but I don't see a reason to be so dramatic.
well, when your browse through erepairables to compare damage, many collision damage vehicles don't appear too bad but ended up at the salvage yard. Insurance will cover but will they fix or will they total? Will they pay all you thought or will it be $3,000 less than you thought you should get? It can be quite dramatic for many poeople.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #28
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
my thoughts exactly when I seen the quarters.. I'll keep the post updated with finding.
Maybe I am missing something, the photos of rear quarters and rear bumper in post#1 look ok, was it a hard hit?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #29
ctdriver320i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Maybe I am missing something, the photos of rear quarters and rear bumper in post#1 look ok, was it a hard hit?
There are before and after pics. The last six pics are the damage and the rear quarter damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #30
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There are before and after pics. The last six pics are the damage and the rear quarter damage.
Got it, I do now see the rear bumper damages, it looks like a square hit to the bumper.

I can't tell whether quarters are bent from the photos, if both sides are bent/creased then shop can straighten or cut out(both are costly, say, $10k?).

Your 2015 F30 with 85k miles likely is worth $15k-$20k, and salvage value around $6k-$7k, so (Connecticut being TLF state) any repair cost of $8k to $14k can total the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #31
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
Got it, I do now see the rear bumper damages, it looks like a square hit to the bumper.

I can't tell whether quarters are bent from the photos, if both sides are bent/creased then shop can straighten or cut out(both are costly, say, $10k?).

Your 2015 F30 with 85k miles likely is worth $15k-$20k, and salvage value around $6k-$7k, so (Connecticut being TLF state) any repair cost of $8k to $14k can total the car.
drivers rear quarter like c pillar area is dented and the outer edge of the passenger taillight.. like where the taillight meets the body is creased. tow guy says it's got a good chance of being totalled too. and depending on what happened to the headlights can play a big factor
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #32
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
phew that is some ugly damage man and on the driver's side too. bless you bro.. but that gives me hope my baby will live through this.

Does the car feel normal to drive or can u feel like... it different when driving it? I'm very particular about my baby but it's finally going to the body shop today so will know more soon I hope
At the time I wanted the car totaled because I only had it 3 months and thought there was no chance of it being the same car afterwards, as well as ongoing problems/costs, and the depreciation. So at first I was not happy they were going to repair it, in fact I warned State Farm when they said they were going to repair it that they should factor in the cost of a diminished value claim that I would be filing…they said they would discuss a DV claim, however that does not factor into their decision making on whether or not they total a car.

That being said, in the end it all worked out better than I could have ever expected. The State Farm adjuster complimented the car, he said he was very impressed in how it absorbed the impact exactly like it should have which mitigated any serious structural damage. My body shop also said that my car looked about as bad as it could have, considering most of the damage was largely body/cosmetic (basically looked much worse than it was). There is absolutely ZERO evidence of damage post-repair (i.e. visually or performance), and I would go as far as to challenge anyone to find a single area on the car where there is any indication of an accident. I don't say that cocky, just that I was absolutely blown away with the work of my small indie body shop (second generation owner). I even joked with them when I finally got the car back that they had it longer than I had…it was in the shop for 3 months. I was very hesitant in not taking it directly to BMW for repairs, however I followed my gut and chose a small local indie shop that has a great reputation and I'm glad I did as there is zero chance I would have gotten the same level of service from the two BMW dealerships near me.

FWIW, attached is a picture of the car that hit me (solely for entertainment purposes, given that everyone somehow walked away without injury)…he first hit the side of a flat bed truck head-on in front of me at ~55-60mph, then hit me second with most of his front drivers side corner missing (the impact with me flipped him over onto his roof), then he finally came to a sliding stop into a third car which was behind me a distance and who had already come to a complete stop prior to impact.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #33
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Quote:
2015 328xi with roughly 85,000. she hit me going I'd say 35-40mph and I was stopped with my turn signal and brake lights on.

I was thinking about that too. buying it back to transfer my parts onto another f30. but at the same time I just had a baby 4 months ago and thinking bigger vehicle... idk I really don't want to deal with buying a new car and starting all over.. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear something back from all this.. the car is valued at 17-18k on kbb and that's pretty much what I owe left on it so I'm worried I'll just brake even and get screwed

Almost all of your "a's" that should have been "an's", and when you break even, it's not the same as brake.... like the brakes she didn't use to hit you.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #34
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
Quote:
2015 328xi with roughly 85,000. she hit me going I'd say 35-40mph and I was stopped with my turn signal and brake lights on.

I was thinking about that too. buying it back to transfer my parts onto another f30. but at the same time I just had a baby 4 months ago and thinking bigger vehicle... idk I really don't want to deal with buying a new car and starting all over.. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear something back from all this.. the car is valued at 17-18k on kbb and that's pretty much what I owe left on it so I'm worried I'll just brake even and get screwed

Almost all of your "a's" that should have been "an's", and when you break even, it's not the same as brake.... like the brakes she didn't use to hit you.
ohhh ok so you need a dose of English class as much as I do.... that's called bad Grammer bro not wrong spelling. I did spelled everything correct fyi. but didn't use the correct Grammer for you Grammer police..
Appreciate 1
BimR245.00
      11-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #35
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Not sure why people get so attached to their cars. I love my 435i but if it gets totaled oh well. Time to find a new one. Hopefully you were not hurt. In Florida getting rear ended is a nice payday. From the pics it doesn't look too bad. Not sure why you think it will be totaled.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #36
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson335 View Post
Quote:

At the time I wanted the car totaled because I only had it 3 months and thought there was no chance of it being the same car afterwards, as well as ongoing problems/costs, and the depreciation. So at first I was not happy they were going to repair it, in fact I warned State Farm when they said they were going to repair it that they should factor in the cost of a diminished value claim that I would be filing…they said they would discuss a DV claim, however that does not factor into their decision making on whether or not they total a car.

That being said, in the end it all worked out better than I could have ever expected. The State Farm adjuster complimented the car, he said he was very impressed in how it absorbed the impact exactly like it should have which mitigated any serious structural damage. My body shop also said that my car looked about as bad as it could have, considering most of the damage was largely body/cosmetic (basically looked much worse than it was). There is absolutely ZERO evidence of damage post-repair (i.e. visually or performance), and I would go as far as to challenge anyone to find a single area on the car where there is any indication of an accident. I don't say that cocky, just that I was absolutely blown away with the work of my small indie body shop (second generation owner). I even joked with them when I finally got the car back that they had it longer than I had…it was in the shop for 3 months. I was very hesitant in not taking it directly to BMW for repairs, however I followed my gut and chose a small local indie shop that has a great reputation and I'm glad I did as there is zero chance I would have gotten the same level of service from the two BMW dealerships near me.

FWIW, attached is a picture of the car that hit me (solely for entertainment purposes, given that everyone somehow walked away without injury)…he first hit the side of a flat bed truck head-on in front of me at ~55-60mph, then hit me second with most of his front drivers side corner missing (the impact with me flipped him over onto his roof), then he finally came to a sliding stop into a third car which was behind me a distance and who had already come to a complete stop prior to impact.
emerson335 thank you for your input and experience in your situation. it makes me feel a little better even if our situations are not the same it gives me a rough estimate at what can be fixed and not. my car is definitely fixable comparing it to others I've seen but how much will it cost and will it even be worth it is the question.. just gotta wait for the adjuster to see the car and determine the outcome.

thanks to everyone that shared actual knowledge and experience and tried to calm my mind about this while thing. I will keep u guys posted on the outcome
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #37
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
Hahahah.....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #38
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Not sure why people get so attached to their cars. I love my 435i but if it gets totaled oh well. Time to find a new one. Hopefully you were not hurt. In Florida getting rear ended is a nice payday. From the pics it doesn't look too bad. Not sure why you think it will be totaled.
I'm attached to it bc it was my 1st bmw.. 3rd car ever and I put alot of time/money into it. I did all my own work including timing chain, high and low pressure fuel pump, all round brakes/rotors, interior trim swaps, trim wraps, rear sunshade retrofit, intake, exhaust, downpipe, soundproofing, summer tires and winter tires/rims the list goes on and on... you get attached to something you put love into..

if it's totaled, it's totaled and I will look for another ride... definitely something bigger due to the baby now. but i still don't want to deal with the hassle of negotiating and dealing with DMV again. it was such a hassle buying the bmw... I actually helped got the NY dealer I bought it from closed down bc it was a shady place and they almost screwed me over.. never again. I've learned my lesson on NY used car dealers. and had plenty of good times in this car that if it's totalled I'm content laying her to rest and moving on to bigger and newer
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #39
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
if it's totaled, it's totaled and I will look for another ride...
Yeah that sounds llike the right way to tackle this, regardless it is a well designed tool that does its job, but it is damaged then it may be time to move on..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #40
SquareWheels
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2023 M550i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
You're assuming your car does not have feelings.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      12-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #41
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

welp for anyone interested. the car was brought to a bmw certified auto body shop and deemed totaled.. she hit me hard on the driver's side and caused the frame/reinforcement to twist. not much damage but that's all it took for it to be done for. welp I guess on to the next one soon I hope
Appreciate 1
BimR245.00
      12-03-2021, 06:24 PM   #42
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
welp for anyone interested. the car was brought to a bmw certified auto body shop and deemed totaled.. she hit me hard on the driver's side and caused the frame/reinforcement to twist. not much damage but that's all it took for it to be done for. welp I guess on to the next one soon I hope
Unfortunate, but the market is high right now for used cars, so make sure you get everything your car is worth under current market conditions, not just a generic KBB value that doesn't reflect what cars are currently going for.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #43
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i was curious about that. I will deff keep that in mind when I talk to my lawyer. as it stands now they are giving me 18,400 and I owe 17,700 still... $700 for me. Whoopi fuckin doo. I'm not signing any paperwork till I get a fair price
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #44
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Go to Vroom and Carvana and get a quote on what they would offer you if the wreck had not happened. That’ll give you a baseline for the current market. Also check to see how much they’re asking at retail for cars similar to yours. Check CarMax, too, to see what their retail prices are for cars similar to yours.

The insurance company must pay you the current retail value of your car plus tax, title, and license. Unfortunately they’re not likely to pay you much for the mods you’ve done.

Edit: just looked at CarMax and Carvana and from what I see there I’d say they should be offering you between $20k - $22k plus TTL.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-03-2021 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0