F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 16 340xi leak front passenger
GetBMWParts

06-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #1
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 340i xDrive

16 340xi leak front passenger

Hey guys, I have a 340xi and I was reversing while turning the wheel and start to hear a clunking sound coming from the front wheels and at first it sounded off but then when I continued to drive it sounded like I was hitting something and when I check the wheels they’re fine and it doesn’t look like they’re rubbing against anything but the front passenger side has a whole bunch of what looks like oil fluid on the rubber plastic wall where the headlight cover is.. has anyone experienced this? Or has an idea of what could be leaking or broke
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It could be a broken CV joint boot. Whatever it is if you can't diagnose it I doubt you can fix it either, so get it to your mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It could be a broken CV joint boot. Whatever it is if you can't diagnose it I doubt you can fix it either, so get it to your mechanic.
but wouldn’t I not be able to drive the car if it was that because the car drives smooth it’s just when I reverse with the wheel turned
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If the CV boot is broken it won't affect the operation of the CV joint, but it would spew grease. Eventually there would be no grease and the CV joint would subsequently fail, though not before complaining because its bearings are dry. That's one possibly for what you're hearing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If the CV boot is broken it won't affect the operation of the CV joint, but it would spew grease. Eventually there would be no grease and the CV joint would subsequently fail, though not before complaining because its bearings are dry. That's one possibly for what you're hearing.
thanks for the suggestion and replying man 🙏🏼 Hopefully I take it sometime this week and get it fixed
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:14 AM   #6
Finny
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 540i xDrive

Hi Halo,

Were you at full lock or near to it when you heard the knocking? I had a similar experience recently and it was suggested the failure was actually in the steering rack. I was planning on replacing a small module to see if that rectified the issue.

Not saying thats definitely the issue but worth considering or mentioning to your mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
HaloF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny View Post
Hi Halo,

Were you at full lock or near to it when you heard the knocking? I had a similar experience recently and it was suggested the failure was actually in the steering rack. I was planning on replacing a small module to see if that rectified the issue.

Not saying thats definitely the issue but worth considering or mentioning to your mechanic.
hey man, by full lock you mean like fully steering to one side then yeah I turned it all the way and reversed it sounded like a clunk and or like something rubbing but def doesn’t sound right I’m still under warranty so I wanna get everything figured out before the 50k mark currently 47k
Appreciate 0