F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Engine air filter on 328i: Not quite what I expected
proTUNING Freaks

07-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Engine air filter on 328i: Not quite what I expected

In preparation for the 30K engine air filter change, I inspected various vids on YouTube. They were all for the 320i, but the car owners assured us that the procedure was the same for the 328i. Well, it is and it ain't, boyz and girlz.

1) On my 2015 328i, there is no cable that needs to be unclipped from the rear edge of the throttle body/air box cover.

2) Instead of 5 metal clips to be unsprung, there are only 4.

3) The far right and front anchors unsnap easily. But the one to the far left does not; there appears to be a bolt holding the cover on, and the bolt has to be undone, somehow, from underneath. My gloved finger told me that it is not a screw, and might require a tool I don't have. However, even without unfastening the cover, it can be lifted enough to get to the filter and ease it out of the air box.

4) When you slide the new filter in, try to make sure the filter is as level as possible. If you slide it in at an angle, the orange lip of the filter will be inside the air box at the back, and you will never get the filter all the way in.

5) Three of the four metal clips were easy to click back into place, though you do have to squeeze the cover and the bottom of the air box close together. The fourth, the upper left one, gave me a hard time, and I had to really squash the components together to make it snap into place.

Since you aren't disconnecting any electrical or other components, there should be no trouble when you start the engine, and so it proved. I wiped sweat off my face (the air here feels like a hot dryer filled with wet towels even at 7 am) and staggered back indoors, glowing, however, with the sense of accomplishment. BMW would have charged, what, $120 for that 5-minute job? The filter from FCPEuro cost me $24. Who says you gotta shell out big bucks all the time for your BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Thanks - that's more detail than the TIS provides:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ilter/Hox4Kj3h
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The newtis instructions are sufficient, though they don't mention that it takes a bit of finagling to get the filter and cover back in place.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The newtis instructions are sufficient, though they don't mention that it takes a bit of finagling to get the filter and cover back in place.
Right, but if anyone, like me, is going by the vids on YouTube, I wanted him to be aware of the minor differences. There may be videos there which detail out the job for the 328i; I just didn't see any in the first couple of pages.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 07-08-2019 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0