F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Accelerator Pedal module failure
Extreme Powerhouse

07-01-2019, 02:58 AM   #1
Finny
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 540i xDrive

Accelerator Pedal module failure

Hi Team,

Car is '13 F32 435i. Mods in description.

When I left work today I turned my car on to find it had all of the standard errors. DSC failure, Tire pressure monitor failure, Drivetrain malfunction "drive moderately."

This didn't phase me overly, as I see these errors every time I flash the car. However when I went to rev the engine to diagnose electrical v mechanical fault, my accelerator pedal was not working, no response from any level of input. I had recently changed the pedal (to a brand new OEM one, then had a month of driving no issue) so checked the connection and it all seemed nominal.

Using my advanced mechanical engineering skills, I turned the car off until the DME went to sleep and switched it back on to see that everything had returned to normal bar a CEL.

When I got home I ran it for codes (image attached). My initial diagnosis was the car suffered a low voltage episode, potentially from cold weather (-7c when I parked it this morning) which caused all the malfunctions. However, I can't find any information as to whether this could turn off the accelerator pedal module. Seems like a very unfortunate module to fail. Furthermore, -7c, 19F doesn't seem cold enough to ruin a car battery in 9 hours.

Alternate theory. The IPE Catback is tapped into the accelerator pedal to measure throttle angle to open/close the exhaust flap. It runs to a control module on top of the DME where I assume it sources it power. I didn't install it myself but thats the only modification I have that could affect that component individually.

I cleared all the codes, none returned immediately but will check again in several hours.

Anyone know how the accelerator pedal module works? Is it just in the pedal or is there another component? Did I need to code something when I installed the new pedal?
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Attached Images

Last edited by Finny; 07-01-2019 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: Further information provided elsewhere
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Curious why you had to swap it once already?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:35 AM   #3
Finny
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Curious why you had to swap it once already?
The original pedal was clicking at the top of the travel, so as you applied throttle it would make an audible click. No one could tell me why so I replaced it.

Turns out my issue was because of the exhaust wiring if anyone cared.
      07-08-2019, 03:09 AM   #4
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny View Post
The original pedal was clicking at the top of the travel, so as you applied throttle it would make an audible click. No one could tell me why so I replaced it.

Turns out my issue was because of the exhaust wiring if anyone cared.
I had IPE catback and your installer probably tapped the yellow wire for the signal way too hard which made a cut in connection.
mine is damaged too but if it still works i didn't try to solder over the damage or anything.