F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Redline fluid for 335i manual?
proTUNING Freaks

06-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
plantman77
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Redline fluid for 335i manual?

I'm about to hit 75k on my 335i. Figured it was about time to change the manual trans fluid.

Redline recommends their DCTF which meets BMW MTF-LT-5. Anyone have any experience with this fluid. I used Redline MTL in my old E39.

What is everyone using for manual trans fluid? BMW Pentosin?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp930 View Post
I'm about to hit 75k on my 335i. Figured it was about time to change the manual trans fluid.

Redline recommends their DCTF which meets BMW MTF-LT-5. Anyone have any experience with this fluid. I used Redline MTL in my old E39.

What is everyone using for manual trans fluid? BMW Pentosin?
I can't remember where, but I recall reading a thread somewhere where someone used Redline MTF in their car and it resulted in harder/stiffer shifts. I would look up some reviews. I'm not sure who makes BMW MTF, probably ZF or Pentosin. When it comes to fluids, BMW and Mercedes have a good history of using pretty top shelf stuff.

What was your experience using Redline in your E39?

Last edited by IraHayes; 06-18-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Great - another fluid choice! I ran Red Line MTL in the 2002 and 80s BMWs (E28 & E30), and have used the D4 AFT in the manual E46s. Just got the 6-speed F22 228i last month (17k miles) so I have a bit to go before exploring the virtues of this!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
plantman77
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I can't remember where, but I recall reading a thread somewhere where someone used Redline MTF in their car and it resulted in harder/stiffer shifts. I would look up some reviews. I'm not sure who makes BMW MTF, probably ZF or Pentosin. When it comes to fluids, BMW and Mercedes have a good history of using pretty top shelf stuff.

The Redline MTF in the e39 was good, it was notchy when cold and I live in PA.

I would go with BMW OEM but come on the stuff is $40 a liter. So maybe I'll just be the guinea pig and try the Redline DCTF
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I used the RL D4 ATF in my 6 speed 228i and it shifted like butter after that. I decided on that at the recommendation from Chad Morehead from MSW. If you don't know who that is, he's the builder of most of the top contenders in the SPEC E46 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp930 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post

The Redline MTF in the e39 was good, it was notchy when cold and I live in PA.

I would go with BMW OEM but come on the stuff is $40 a liter. So maybe I'll just be the guinea pig and try the Redline DCTF
Hello,

Did you try the RedLine in your transmission?

I too used to run MTL with great results in older BMW's including two e90's but am not sure if I want to in my F30 given how smooth it shifts on the OE fluid.
Appreciate 0