F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Spark plug broke in half while removing
Extreme Powerhouse

07-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Spark plug broke in half while removing

I was having some engine stuttering between 800-1400 rpm so I decided to check the spark plugs I just installed not even 6 months ago. The first one I removed was obviously defective. The white thing that protects the spark wire was loose and was moving freely up and down (I'll attach pics) so I decided to check all of my spark plugs. The second spark plug I attempted to removed completely cracked in half. Only the top came out and the treaded part is still threaded in the combustion chamber. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to remove this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A screw extractor might work. It may require drilling the spark plug.
Appreciate 1
Troy2743.00
      07-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
Cherry2.0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

I have no clue how you are going to get that broken plug out, but this definitely looks like a case of over torquing the plug when you installed it. Also, I have to wonder if these plugs are 'real" and not Chinese knockoffs.
Appreciate 2
sspade2460.00
      07-09-2019, 03:30 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry2.0 View Post
I have no clue how you are going to get that broken plug out, but this definitely looks like a case of over torquing the plug when you installed it. Also, I have to wonder if these plugs are 'real" and not Chinese knockoffs.
Exactly what I was thinking - I've never seen OEM plugs where the tip insulator has fallen down like that, let alone plug breaking off at the base - either a gorilla torqued those plugs or they are cheap Chinese fake NGK plugs

Check out the thread on forum on how to tell if NGK are fake

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1587651

Videos:

https://youtu.be/PjBjVjcLcgc

https://youtu.be/Lr9J3eQk-kE

Course that doesn't help you out at all with current problem - I agree that trying the EZout is best way to proceed at this point before you take it to dealer, but I'm guessing that's where you'll end up
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 07-09-2019 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
Troy2743.00
      07-09-2019, 03:57 AM   #5
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry2.0 View Post
I hope they aren't knock offs. I bought them from the dealership
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:05 AM   #6
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep

I really hoping to avoid getting this towed to the mechanic. I'm sure it's going to cost a fortune. I'm going to give it one last shot with the easy out. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll update on the status
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:04 AM   #7
bentobox
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-sport w/ track pkg

I feel your pain. I've broken many bolts but never broke a sparkplug. You need to get a good set of broken plug remover kit. Lisle kit sells for around $100 on Amazon. Spray some penetrating oil and be patient. Take your time. You don't want to break the remover too.

FYI, when you're removing sparkplugs or bolts and it starts to resist, tighten it back in lightly and try again. Repeat until it's removed. I use this method when I remove stubborn plugs or bolts. Never broke a sparkplug and I change my plugs every oil change. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
Troy2743.00
      07-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #8
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep

After 5hrs of trying to remove the broken spark plug, over the course of 2 days and super sore hands, I had to get the car towed to an Indy shop. It's going to cost $420 to get the plug removed plus the cost of new plugs. I actually thought it was going to cost way more than that so while paying $420 does suck, I was happy it wasn't more! Hopefully I didn't do any other damage while trying to get the plug out and the car drives the same. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox View Post
I feel your pain. I've broken many bolts but never broke a sparkplug. You need to get a good set of broken plug remover kit. Lisle kit sells for around $100 on Amazon. Spray some penetrating oil and be patient. Take your time. You don't want to break the remover too.

FYI, when you're removing sparkplugs or bolts and it starts to resist, tighten it back in lightly and try again. Repeat until it's removed. I use this method when I remove stubborn plugs or bolts. Never broke a sparkplug and I change my plugs every oil change. Good luck.
Wow, every oil change? Any reason?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

60,000 mile intervals?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
60,000 mile intervals?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #12
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Those look fake to me. NGK use a silver/ steel crush washer/gasket. I would buy a legit NGK plug, then take the ones you bought from the dealer, along with the legit one and show them at the dealer. I would demand a refund for the spark plugs and the cost of the repairs. I would also tell them that you are going to inform NGK about their selling counterfeit products under the NGK name. Not sure how far that will get you, but you can talk to the parts manager and threaten to put them on social media as well for not selling genuine parts.

That said, I have always been a fanatic about changing my spark plugs every year regardless of the service interval required. It’s really not necessary, but I do it mostly because I want to perform a health check; looking mainly for any signs of moisture or damage or heavy carbon buildup on the spark plugs. I always figured that since I’m removing the spark plugs, I might as well replace them. Spark plugs for these cars ain’t cheap, so I decided to invest in one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...plug%20cleaner

We had a couple around in the shop when I wrenched on cars for a living, they didn’t get much use, but they will with me now. At least this way I can clean my plugs and regap if necessary before reinstalling them when I perform my annual “health check.”

Last edited by IraHayes; 07-14-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
Troy2743.00
      07-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #13
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
Those look fake to me. NGK use a silver/ steel crush washer/gasket. I would buy a legit NGK plug, then take the ones you bought from the dealer, along with the legit one and show them at the dealer. I would demand a refund for the spark plugs and the cost of the repairs. I would also tell them that you are going to inform NGK about their selling counterfeit products under the NGK name. Not sure how far that will get you, but you can talk to the parts manager and threaten to put them on social media as well for not selling genuine parts.

That said, I have always been a fanatic about changing my spark plugs every year regardless of the service interval required. It’s really not necessary, but I do it mostly because I want to perform a health check; looking mainly for any signs of moisture or damage or heavy carbon buildup on the spark plugs. I always figured that since I’m removing the spark plugs, I might as well replace them. Spark plugs for these cars ain’t cheap, so I decided to invest in one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...plug%20cleaner

We had a couple around in the shop when I wrenched on cars for a living, they didn’t get much use, but they will with me now. At least this way I can clean my plugs and regap if necessary before reinstalling them when I perform my annual “health check.”

Dealer's have no incentive to sell counterfeit parts because parts come with a 2 yr warranty

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Dealer's have no incentive to sell counterfeit parts because parts come with a 2 yr warranty
I haven’t looked it up, but you are correct I’m sure. Makes perfect sense, but it is pretty obvious from the pictures that these particular spark plugs are knock-offs. If anything, the dealer can do their due diligence and conduct an investigation into their supplier. Somewhere along the supply chain, someone dropped the ball.

To the OP, I would also print out a copy of the pdf a few posts back illustrating the differences between the real deal, and the knock-offs. Maybe don’t go in “hot” either and ask calmly to speak to the parts manager and explain the situation. I’m always inclined to go in half cocked because I think I have been taken in situations like this, but it could very well be that they have no clue either. If anything, it will alert them to the potential of having several of these knock-off spark plugs in stock that may cost them big time in warranty repairs down the road. If that is the case, they will probably be grateful that you brought it to their attention because you likely will have saved them a lot of money down the road in repair costs that they might have to eat.

More info from the NGK website:
http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english...ake/index.html

Last edited by IraHayes; 07-14-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I don't doubt it at all, but it is pretty obvious from the pictures that the spark plugs are knock-offs. If anything, the dealer can do their due diligence and conduct an investigation into their supplier. Somewhere along the supply chain, someone dropped the ball.

To the OP, I would also print out a copy of the pdf a few posts back illustrating the differences between the real deal, and the knock-offs. Maybe don't go in "hot" either and ask calmly to speak to the parts manager and explain the situation. I'm always inclined to go in half cocked because I think I have been taken in situations like this, but it could very well be that they have no clue either. If anything, it will alert them to the potential of having several of these knock-off spark plugs in stock that may cost them big time in warranty repairs down the road. If that is the case, they will probably be grateful that you brought it to their attention because you likely will have saved them a lot of money down the road in repair costs that they might have to eat.
Thank you for the input. As much as I would love to go in there and question them I already chucked the plugs in the garbage. I was just super excited the old plug was able to to removed without costing a small fortune. I got my car back and installed new eldor coil packs and my car runs great!! So I'm pretty happy everything kinda worked out. I did however call the parts department and asked about the warranty on the plugs and they said they couldn't warranty them because I installed them..... Before anyone even asks...YES.. I did torque them to spec (17 foot pounds) with a torque wrench. I'm just happy this is behind me and everything is running great again.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #16
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy27 View Post
Thank you for the input. As much as I would love to go in there and question them I already chucked the plugs in the garbage. I was just super excited the old plug was able to to removed without costing a small fortune. I got my car back and installed new eldor coil packs and my car runs great!! So I'm pretty happy everything kinda worked out. I did however call the parts department and asked about the warranty on the plugs and they said they couldn't warranty them because I installed them..... Before anyone even asks...YES.. I did torque them to spec (17 foot pounds) with a torque wrench. I'm just happy this is behind me and everything is running great again.
Glad it worked out, and that your car is running fine.
Appreciate 1
Troy2743.00
      07-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #17
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Those look fake to me. NGK use a silver/ steel crush washer/gasket.
Not these plugs. SILZBR8D8S:

Appreciate 0