F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Buying BMW insurance after the fact?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
GrabEmByTheBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

So on the day I bought my car, I was given a list of insurance packages that they offer. I felt pretty shitty about the pressure tactic that I had to decide then and there what packages to buy. I should have walked away but instead I picked a couple and didn't get the one I realize I now badly need - wheel and tire protection (or whatever they call it).

Is anybody aware if BMW offers these packages after you've already bought your car? I seem to remember that this was a one time opportunity - but just making sure.

Hoping I can still snag it.

In USA btw.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabEmByTheBimmer View Post
So on the day I bought my car, I was given a list of insurance packages that they offer. I felt pretty shitty about the pressure tactic that I had to decide then and there what packages to buy. I should have walked away but instead I picked a couple and didn't get the one I realize I now badly need - wheel and tire protection (or whatever they call it).

Is anybody aware if BMW offers these packages after you've already bought your car? I seem to remember that this was a one time opportunity - but just making sure.

In USA btw.
I know there are companies that offer warranties even after yours has expired. They offer different tiers and cost less than the 3rd party companies from the dealer. I believe you still have to pay ~$50 for each visit and it could have a deductible. However, it at least protects you from having to pay massive bills.

You really need to weigh the costs of the total protection plan against what you think you'll even need replaced in that time period.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
blankito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M Performance

I don't know in USA, but in Canada, you usually have something like 15-30 days to remove a protection if you change your mind.

If you want to ADD something, your dealership will be more than happy to answer your call and take more money from you. They say you have to decide right now to pressure you, but they will still let you buy it after.

Personally, I never buy the wheel/tire protection. I usually get a flat tire every 3-4 years and I dented a wheel twice in 12 years. It comes down way cheaper to pay for the repair yourself when needed. Depending on where you live and how unlucky you are it may change, but think about it twice before signing up for the protection..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
angel486
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS 2020 M8CV

Garage List
2020 BMW M8  [0.00]
2020 BMW M8  [0.00]
2020 BMW M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:

In USA btw.
You can always go back to the dealer to buy it or buy it from any other

dealers at any time, but the price will be higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I've had 6 bimmers in a row. I've only ever wished I got wheel and tire protection ONCE when I was parking in a construction zone and got 2 punctures within a month of each other on run flats. That's an automatic $250 new tire. That was maybe 5 years ago. I've since not use any runflats and had a few tires patched FOR FREE.

My advice: save your money. If you are careful, you can avoid curb rash, and non-run flats can be patched. If you like off roading, doing donuts in construction sites, love hitting potholes for fun, and you have poor spacial awareness, then maybe it's worth it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

If you are running 20" or 19" wheels you may want to consider it but its usually less expensive to replace as needed. It depends where you live and drive and how much you value the security of a warranty and your time.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
435GranC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GranCoupe

Quote:

In USA btw.
Sell the stockers and go aftermarket. Probably cheaper than the insurance?
Appreciate 0