F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "Stone wash" M sport steering wheel leather?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
misterjim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

"Stone wash" M sport steering wheel leather?

I am interested in a used 3 series M sport that is 3 years old and has about 35 k miles on it. It's being sold by a BMW dealer and from the photos it looks like it is in good shape (of course, photos will only reveal so much) except for the steering wheel and shift knob. The leather on the M sport steering wheel looks like someone had caustic hands although the leather seems to be affected the full 360 - not just where hands would normally be most of the time. See the attached photo. This seems odd to me for a car with only 35k miles. Any idea what happened to the leather on the wheel? The leather on the seats looks fine - it seems like just the steering wheel and shift knob are fubar.
Attached Images

Last edited by misterjim; 06-10-2019 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjim View Post
I am interested in a used 3 series M sport that is 3 years old and has about 35 k miles on it. It's being sold by a BMW dealer and from the photos it looks like it is in good shape (of course, photos will only reveal so much) except for the steering wheel and shift knob. The leather on the M sport steering wheel looks like someone had caustic hands! See the attached photo. This seems odd to me for a car with only 35k miles. Any idea what happened to the leather on the wheel? The leather on the seats looks fine - it seems like just the steering wheel and shift knob are fubar.
Original owner did not clean and treat the leather correctly...or at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

If you want you can negotiate a low buying price, then use the difference to have it restored at a leather place.
      06-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
misterjim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
If you want you can negotiate a low buying price, then use the difference to have it restored at a leather place.
Not a bad idea - I was thinking I might be able to pick up a replacement lightly used M sport wheel or even a used M3 wheel with the tri-color stitching.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Improper chemical cleaner and/or excessive heat/sunlight. It can probably be restored, but perhaps not perfect. Good excuse to get an upgraded steering wheel.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
I am interested in a used 3 series M sport that is 3 years old and has about 35 k miles on it. It's being sold by a BMW dealer and from the photos it looks like it is in good shape (of course, photos will only reveal so much) except for the steering wheel and shift knob. The leather on the M sport steering wheel looks like someone had caustic hands although the leather seems to be affected the full 360 - not just where hands would normally be most of the time. See the attached photo. This seems odd to me for a car with only 35k miles. Any idea what happened to the leather on the wheel? The leather on the seats looks fine - it seems like just the steering wheel and shift knob are fubar.
I had the same problem with my m sport steering wheel. I cleaned it once a week religiously with meguirs cleaning wipes and leather wipes and Everytime more and more shit came off of the wheel. I ended up buying the mewant steering wheel wrap off Amazon and sewed it on myself and it came out perfect. It just takes forever to sew if you do it correctly. And comes with many different stitch color options. Took me 3-4 hrs. From what I read a lot of people have this problem with the m sport steering wheel from cleaning it. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy27 View Post
I had the same problem with my m sport steering wheel. I cleaned it once a week religiously with meguirs cleaning wipes and leather wipes and Everytime more and more shit came off of the wheel. I ended up buying the mewant steering wheel wrap off Amazon and sewed it on myself and it came out perfect. It just takes forever to sew if you do it correctly. And comes with many different stitch color options. Took me 3-4 hrs. From what I read a lot of people have this problem with the m sport steering wheel from cleaning it. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps

I stopped trusting Meguiars consumer line a long time ago. The professional line is still good I hear, but I only used Griots Interior Detailer and Interior Cleaner on the steering wheel once every 2 months. It never showed signs of wear like you described or what the OP pictured! The less you have to use chemicals to clean something, the better. There is no need to clean once a week. A clean dry microfiber to wipe away the oils from your hands, and good hygiene are the best ways to maintain a leather or alcantera steering wheel.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
IK6SPEED4486.00
Troy2743.00
esoj37156.00
      06-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Looks like it’s a recurring issue with the MSport steering wheel leather being reported on this board or the other board. I think there was a thread on the 2Addicts forum, also with a CPO with the same issue but mostly on the left side of the steering wheel. Looking at OP's picture, the leather at the 11 o’clock doesn’t look as bad which leads me to think it’s something on the previous driver’s hands (lotion or rinse-free handwash which typically has alcohol) that’s affecting the surface of the leather. Like other posters are saying, be careful what cleaner is used especially if it contains some kind of solvent like alcohol.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
F30 M-Steering Wheel Color Restore https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1620089
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #10
Troy27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy27 View Post

I stopped trusting Meguiars consumer line a long time ago. The professional line is still good I hear, but I only used Griots Interior Detailer and Interior Cleaner on the steering wheel once every 2 months. It never showed signs of wear like you described or what the OP pictured! The less you have to use chemicals to clean something, the better. There is no need to clean once a week. A clean dry microfiber to wipe away the oils from your hands, and good hygiene are the best ways to maintain a leather or alcantera steering wheel.
It was only the steering wheel I had a problem with.. I do the other interior parts on my car and it looks great. My car has 65k miles on it and the interior looks brand new. I'll post pics tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #11
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Probably sweaty hands, or maybe a lot of sunblock or lotion. My 2014 m-sport wheel is going on 6 years now and looks brand new and has never been cleaned, other than whatever the car-wash guys do to it a couple times a year.

Some people just have sweaty hands, I think, and might not even realize it.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22586.00
      07-02-2019, 01:20 AM   #12
sshao
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, F30 340i, F30 330i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
It is possible to restore the color but the quality of the OEM steering wheel leather is so bad. I finally get a Mewant cover from Amazon and everything looks much better. By the way I like the steering wheel to be thicker.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
It can probably be restored
Yes, it can
Quote:
but perhaps not perfect.
Close enough to it. Clean it with acetone (nail polish remover), dye it with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Protect it with this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the same process used by pros who will charge up to $150 to do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #14
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Another mewant customer here. Be prepared to spend 5-6 hours but for $50-60 I'd give it 8.5/10. I need to tuck the 3 and 9 a little better
Attached Images

08-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
esoj37
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
X2 on Griots.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
My CPO 435 had a VERY mild version of what you're seeing in the picture.

I spent a little time with a quality leather cleaner/conditioner and the wheel turned out looking much better. The rag I used came out really black and nasty. I have a feeling the previous owner never properly deep cleaned the interior for the three years they had it on lease. The shift knob was in good shape, but it too had a lot of embedded grime based on the condition of my cleaning rags. I'm a little scared to see what the seats are going to look like...

My only fear now is how to keep the wheel and shift knob looking good. The leather is really soft and scuff prone. When I autocross my hands get pretty gross from sweat and sunscreen. I guess I could wear driving gloves, but they would be hot and probably saturate from sweat anyway. The "that guy" factor would probably be high too, though I don't care too much if it preserves my wheel and shifter.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #17
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I REALLY like the M Steering wheel with the shift indicator lights on it, but they are WAAAAAY too expensive!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #18
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

These wheels can have issues. My M235 has the same wheel. I'm the original owner. After 3.5 years, my wheel start loosing the finish (see below). I don't have sweaty palms, don't use hand products, and I clean the leather in my car monthly with a warm rag and treat it every 6 months or so WITH a BMW leather product. The car is garaged and in the hot months, a windshield cover is used while at work.

The reality is these wheels have a porous finish and some wheels will delaminate the finish and WITHOUT ANY warning.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...56&postcount=5

08-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #19
imquittingthecult
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshao View Post
It is possible to restore the color but the quality of the OEM steering wheel leather is so bad. I finally get a Mewant cover from Amazon and everything looks much better. By the way I like the steering wheel to be thicker.
I second this. Just got this exact same wrap and it looks and feels 10x better.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #20
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

I just got done arguing with BMW about this on my car. 33k miles and the wheel looks like the OP posted. When I got the car, it looked perfectly fine, so the original owner can't be blamed for hand lotion, sunscreen, bad cleaning, nothing! When I got the car, I cleaned everything and used warm water on the wheel. My rag came up black.

Either the previous owner didn't want to get dinged on lease return or the dealer did some shady stuff, but my wheel looked fine when I got it. BMW said the issue was 100% normal wear and tear. I told them I have a 160k mile Silverado and a 50k mile Sonata that have leather wheels and look new.

BMW was not willing to do anything except as a good will measure, they offered me a new wheel at 50% off. My cost was $593. I told BMW that if this is common behavior for them to call "normal wear and tear" on a $64k car, that I will probably not be buying another BMW. If Chevrolet and Hyundai provide better materials in cheaper cars, then I should stick with them!!
      08-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #21
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
I just got done arguing with BMW about this on my car. 33k miles and the wheel looks like the OP posted. When I got the car, it looked perfectly fine, so the original owner can't be blamed for hand lotion, sunscreen, bad cleaning, nothing! When I got the car, I cleaned everything and used warm water on the wheel. My rag came up black.

Either the previous owner didn't want to get dinged on lease return or the dealer did some shady stuff, but my wheel looked fine when I got it. BMW said the issue was 100% normal wear and tear. I told them I have a 160k mile Silverado and a 50k mile Sonata that have leather wheels and look new.

BMW was not willing to do anything except as a good will measure, they offered me a new wheel at 50% off. My cost was $593. I told BMW that if this is common behavior for them to call "normal wear and tear" on a $64k car, that I will probably not be buying another BMW. If Chevrolet and Hyundai provide better materials in cheaper cars, then I should stick with them!!
I got a similar response from BMW regarding the fade/delamination on my M235's steering wheel. 6 of the 8 cars I've owned over the past 30 years had leather steering wheels. I've never had an issue with the leather degrading at all with those wheels. However, the leather on the M Performance wheel has a nice grippy and tactical feel whereas most every other leather wheel on the market is pretty slick and the leather hard. I feel that the grippy M Performance leather is porous and opens itself up to degradation. These issues with these wheels are way more common than most think and you too will be pissed if and when it happens because it really does happen without warning and regardless of if you care for the wheel or not. My wheel was entirely fine for 38 months. And then during a cleaning in May 2019, the wheel degraded and the finish came off on the upper left portion of the wheel. If it gets worse, I'll likely go for the Alacantra version of the wheel.