F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > High-pitch ringing noise in cabin
proTUNING Freaks

07-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
anthony_12347
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 Competition

High-pitch ringing noise in cabin

Need some help with a high-pitch ringing noise I'm getting on my new 2020 M4 (F82). I thought I'd post here on the f30 forums as well to see if anyone has had a similar experience with their 3 or 4 series.

At 1000Km, I started noticing a faint high-pitch ringing in the cabin when the car was on. Didn't think too much of it, and tried to ignore it, but it's gotten significantly worse as the car has put on more mileage. It's to the point where anybody who rides in it comments on the noise.

The noise sounds like a very distinct 'electrical' high-pitch ringing. It is loud enough to be heard when windows are closed and can be heard over the stereo on low. It is continuous, does not change in pitch, and can be heard when stopped or moving. It appears to be coming from somewhere in the dash, or the engine compartment very close to the firewall.

Not related to A/C or fan settings while the car is on or off. Saw some other forum posts where a similar noise was distinctly the A/C but doesn't seem like it here as toggling the A/C makes no difference. I have also tried toggling interior, exterior lights, turning the display on/off, bluetooth on/off, no help.

I also tried some different scenarios and here's what I found:
1. It's not the M4 seat logos. They do make a similar noise but they are off when driving.

2. When the ignition is turned on but engine is not started (press stop/start without foot on brake), it not there.

3. Once you start the engine, the noise can be heard. As soon as you take it out of park, even moving to Neutral, it gets even louder. After that, it's constant and does not very with RPM, Drive Mode, acceleration, etc.

4. Interestingly, using the Auto Stop/Start feature, when I come to a stop, the engine shuts off as expected while I'm in gear, but the whine noise is actually still present (and can be heard much more clearly), even after the car shuts the engine down.

So from what I can deduce so far, especially from the test from the auto Stop/Start engine shutdown, is that this seems to be coming from something electrical when the ignition is on.

Any thoughts on perhaps the ECU/fan, exhaust valve actuator, fuel pump primer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

Interesting. Would you say its similar to coil whine?
Appreciate 0