F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Dealer Alignment
ARMA SPEED

07-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
imquittingthecult
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-SPORT

Dealer Alignment

I had a service advisor that when I get an alignment at the dealer, they align the wheels and they do some configuration within the computer of the car.
He advised me that going to some random mechanic shop would be cheaper but they do not have the same capabilities the dealer has to properly align the car.

Is this bull sh*t? Is he just trying to get money out of me? I couldnt see why it would be any different and Ive never head of this computer alignment.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

BMW does have specific alignment requirements, but they're not hidden away in a vault. You can find them here, as may anyone:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
N55Msport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 15'F30 16'F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by imquittingthecult View Post
I had a service advisor that when I get an alignment at the dealer, they align the wheels and they do some configuration within the computer of the car.
He advised me that going to some random mechanic shop would be cheaper but they do not have the same capabilities the dealer has to properly align the car.

Is this bull sh*t? Is he just trying to get money out of me? I couldnt see why it would be any different and Ive never head of this computer alignment.
AFAIK... BMW dealerships use the Hunter alignment machines. I asked my dealer about it and he confirmed it. Had both my F30 and F80 aligned using a Hunter with zero issues. With a full tank, I watched them add ballast and both cars track straight as an arrow at 80 mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:46 AM   #4
fantanas
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

The special thing they do the steering angle sensor calibration through ISTA, but I think you can do that through an obd2 reader too (at least the ones that a garage would have).
Appreciate 0