F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Brakes applied whilst driving without pedal
proTUNING Freaks

07-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i MY2014

Hi all,

We had a brake fluid service on our F31 328i at BMW about a few months ago and it felt spongy so they did it again and since then I felt that the brakes were not releasing properly.

Today while driving at 45mph the brakes applied without my intervention and the pedal was rock hard to press.

I managed to pull over and the car seemed to sort itself out but I'm concerned of course how safe it is to drive.

Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions what it could be?

I've read about failure of cylinder but in those cases I would expect to lose brake power rather than it automatically braking.
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

No idea mate, but that doesn't sound like a safe vehicle to drive - book into dealership/garage tomorrow?!

How harsh was the auto braking?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
No idea mate, but that doesn't sound like a safe vehicle to drive - book into dealership/garage tomorrow?!

How harsh was the auto braking?
Hi, braking was rather progressive, I don't know enough about the system to figure out how that's possible!

I'll take it to a garage tomorrow for a check for sure, I also need to do more research to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Cheers
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
frazervalley
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Cruise control with auto braking

Do you have cruise control with auto braking? I experienced something similar when I descended a steep hill on a highway while the cruise control was active. I was surprised to feel the car auto brake so as not to exceed the speed set on the cruise control. Checked my manual when I got home and realized that I had cruise control with auto braking.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:54 AM   #5
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazervalley View Post
Do you have cruise control with auto braking? I experienced something similar when I descended a steep hill on a highway while the cruise control was active. I was surprised to feel the car auto brake so as not to exceed the speed set on the cruise control. Checked my manual when I got home and realized that I had cruise control with auto braking.
I do have cc with braking (not adaptive cruise though) but in this situation the car was bringing me to a halt for whatever reason.

Maybe handbrake or cylinder failure - I did wonder if the heat/dry cylinder pistons may be at play- but I don't see how the brakes can get applied like that :-/
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:50 AM   #6
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Maybe brake servo fault.

If they leak internally they will pre load the master cylinder and effectively apply the brakes gradually. Ultimately the pedal will be solid. If you leave the car long enough the pressure will disperse and off you go again. If it is this it will get worse, so get it to a garage PDK.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #7
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Maybe brake servo fault.

If they leak internally they will pre load the master cylinder and effectively apply the brakes gradually. Ultimately the pedal will be solid. If you leave the car long enough the pressure will disperse and off you go again. If it is this it will get worse, so get it to a garage PDK.
Thanks for the insight, I'll go get it checked out.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:44 AM   #8
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

After you feel it braking, put your hand near all 4 disks to see if one is warmer than the others. It doesn't sound like a stick caliper but worth a check.

A stuck caliper can heat the fluid and cause a hard pedal.
Appreciate 0