F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F36 Harmon Kardon Sound Upgrade
GetBMWParts

08-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
jfizzle232
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 428i Gran Coupe

F36 Harmon Kardon Sound Upgrade

Hello friends, I'm having a little trouble finding the answer to this with google. I have a 2016 428i Gran Coupe with the Harmon Kardon Sound system. I've heard that this system, while louder than stock, isn't exactly the best audio quality. The main thing I've heard is that the bass is muddy and that's the weakest part of the system. I'm planning on doing a full audio upgrade in the future but I want to tackle it one part at a time.

From bimmertech and Bavsound there are 3 different parts: amp, subs, speakers. Which of these should I upgrade first? I noticed that when I put that I have the H/K option that both websites don't provide an amp, does this mean that the stock H/K amp is fine? If so, I was leaning towards subs since its cheaper and, according to what I've found, the biggest difference. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
335JTSD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sapphire Black 435 GC

Dig around in the audio section on here. There is almost an endless amount to read with all write ups on the ways to upgrade depending on which HK system you have. I have the higher end 688 HK with MOST fiber optic and only have a sub installed with a technic harness. Sounds better than stock but the speakers really can't keep up with the sub(JL 10w6). The system sounds pretty bad in my opinion and still trying to convince myself to spend the money to upgrade it all. Hopefully you don't have the MOST.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Agreed that the F36 with HK system (at least in my 2015 car) sounds poor with factory defaults (equaliser ‘Off’).

I used Glenn QNYC’s equaliser settings as a starting point and with some more minor tweaks of my own am very happy with the resulting sound. You’ll find a post of mine with my set up (based hugely on Glenn’s work).
I now have a system setting that works well with 95% of my music, only failing (slightly) with some of my earliest collection where the bass is weakest.
Give Glenn QNYC’s settings a try first, and build on them to your taste. If that really doesn’t work for you then consider spending $$$.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Agreed that the F36 with HK system (at least in my 2015 car) sounds poor with factory defaults (equaliser ‘Off’).

I used Glenn QNYC’s equaliser settings as a starting point and with some more minor tweaks of my own am very happy with the resulting sound. You’ll find a post of mine with my set up (based hugely on Glenn’s work).
I now have a system setting that works well with 95% of my music, only failing (slightly) with some of my earliest collection where the bass is weakest.
Give Glenn QNYC’s settings a try first, and build on them to your taste. If that really doesn’t work for you then consider spending $$$.
+1, i've done the same with personal tweaks as well.

here's the thread... https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=glennqnyc
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2019, 03:40 AM   #5
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Quote:

+1, i've done the same with personal tweaks as well.

here's the thread... https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=glennqnyc
Coming from an upgraded installation in my former E91 I was not impressed with the L7 HK setup in my current F36.
But using the settings in the thread I'm the link actually did a lot good.
And coding to B&O settings gave a more crisp sound and more depth at the same time.
Now it's actually quite ok to my ears.

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Quote:
coding to B&O settings gave a more crisp sound and more depth at the same time
+1. The main weakness of the system is the EQ. Get that right and it's pretty good. There's nothing wrong with the speakers. Where deep bass is concerned you can only get so much from eight inch woofers in tiny enclosures, and the OEM woofers are pretty much as good as you can get. If you really need EDM club sound a trunk mounted powered sub is the only way to get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
jfizzle232
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:

My car was in the shop when I posted this so just getting around to doing it. This worked exceedingly well, I don't know why this didn't show up with my searches but I am much happier with how my sound system performs. Thank you!
Appreciate 1