F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M3 Steering Wheel Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

08-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
mikesmitherino
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

M3 Steering Wheel Retrofit

Hi I was looking into upgrading the steering wheel on my 335i M-Sport with the M3 steering wheel since the leather on my current wheel's in need of a reconditioning. From what I understand, it's pretty much plug and play, and the airbag from my M-sport steering wheel will be able to be swapped over to the new wheel. While looking around, I noticed that some steering wheels are heated, but my car didn't come equipped with it. Would I be able to use an M3 steering wheel that comes with heating if I just didn't connect the wire for it, or would I have to find a specific M3 steering wheel that comes without heating? I'm not interested in retrofitting the heating functionality. Appreciate the input!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
esoj37
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

I got a retrofitted msport steering wheel on my base 328i. The wheel has the lane assist function. I left it unplugged, and have no issues. I am guessing it would be the same for the heat option, but I don't know from personal experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoj37 View Post
I got a retrofitted msport steering wheel on my base 328i. The wheel has the lane assist function. I left it unplugged, and have no issues. I am guessing it would be the same for the heat option, but I don't know from personal experience.
I agree. If your car has those options but the steering wheel doesn't, you most likely will have a problem as ECU can't detect the signal.

But when it is the other way around like in your case, the ecu doesn't know you have the option so it won't complain. It is just a matter of securing that extra harness to eliminate the possible rattle.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
mikesmitherino
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
I agree. If your car has those options but the steering wheel doesn't, you most likely will have a problem as ECU can't detect the signal.

But when it is the other way around like in your case, the ecu doesn't know you have the option so it won't complain. It is just a matter of securing that extra harness to eliminate the possible rattle.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm guessing retrofitting would void my CPO warranty though wouldn't it? If that's the case, then I'd probably hold off on it until next year when it expires.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmitherino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm guessing retrofitting would void my CPO warranty though wouldn't it? If that's the case, then I'd probably hold off on it until next year when it expires.
Should have no affect.

Besides, most BMW Dealerships wouldn't even notice it.
Appreciate 0