F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > What watch do wear
GetBMWParts

08-10-2019, 04:52 AM   #1189
Digidick
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I've got a Carrera Calibre 5 for sale, but it's more of a dress watch than a sports watch to be honest.

Be careful buying in the US, with the current value of sterling, it might not be a great deal. Plus, unlikely, but if you get caught at customs with the box and papers for a new watch you'll have to pay tax on it.

You can probably barter 10-15% off the UK price in the high street jewellers, Beaverbrooks etc. Or, Bicester Outlet and York outlet have official discount Tag shops. You can barter off their prices too.
I'd spotted that whilst looking through this huge watch thread, very nice but not my style unfortunately.

Do the high street shops barter? Always thought it's one price only. I'm in Derby so either of the outlets is a bit of a drive just to find they have nothing I like.

Lots of interest free available at the minute so very tempting.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #1190
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Couple of brand new seamasters at Hackett Watches for £3350 (list £39xx) for anyone that doesn't fancy haggling with their local AD.

Blue here, black also available

https://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/JPRYBANL4A

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17602.50
      08-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #1191
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidick View Post
I'd spotted that whilst looking through this huge watch thread, very nice but not my style unfortunately.

Do the high street shops barter? Always thought it's one price only. I'm in Derby so either of the outlets is a bit of a drive just to find they have nothing I like.

Ive got one of these I might sell - bought new from Lumbers Leicester 2/3 years ago not worn much, with box papers etc. Can post photos if interested.

I am near Loughborough so not far from you.

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...waz2114-ba0875

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 06:25 AM   #1192
Digidick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
Ive got one of these I might sell - bought new from Lumbers Leicester 2/3 years ago not worn much, with box papers etc. Can post photos if interested.

I am near Loughborough so not far from you.

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...waz2114-ba0875
Cheers but these are the 2 I've narrowed down as my faves....

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...caz1011-ba0842

and an Aquaracer...

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...cay111a-ba0927
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #1193
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Having recently bought a Breitling and haggled, £3k would be a brilliant result. I managed 15% and I tried hard.

Not sure the valuation after is relevant or very helpful. Very few watches hold their value in the first few years, yet Tag, Omega Breitling still make some great looking watches and they sell well.

I buy watches that I like, not for an investment, which is why I haven't considered a Rolex, I just think they look a little old fashioned.
You're odd bod, I pointed out that dropping 4k on that watch isn't the price you want to pay you can get them for around 3k and a resale price after that would be 2k so dropping 4k on it wouldn't be sensible.

No idea what Rolex and your views on them have to do with the purchase of a Breitling, I didn't mention investment either, but you crack on trying to pick posts apart if it pleases you.
      08-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #1194
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Cheers but these are the 2 I've narrowed down as my faves....

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...caz1011-ba0842

and an Aquaracer...

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...cay111a-ba0927
Have a look here, these have a good reputation.

https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...onograph_(43mm)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #1195
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
You're odd bod, I pointed out that dropping 4k on that watch isn't the price you want to pay you can get them for around 3k and a resale price after that would be 2k so dropping 4k on it wouldn't be sensible.

No idea what Rolex and your views on them have to do with the purchase of a Breitling, I didn't mention investment either, but you crack on trying to pick posts apart if it pleases you.
I felt that pointing out that you should be able to get a £4K Breitling for £3k might put someone off if they couldn't get that price. You make it sound easy, from my recent experience it isn't.

Also, do you not think that pointing out that it will drop in value instantly is slightly off putting if you're about to spend a chunk of money?

Talking of odd, in my mind it was an odd point to make on a BMW forum where everything we've bought has dropped in value as soon as we've purchased it. Just seemed an unnecessary point to make.

It's the sort of points that ZeroFX used to make all the time.

I offered constructive points about the watch and it's size as I'd tried it on recently and I also explained my actual recent experience of buying a Breitling as regards to discounts.

Yours just seemed like sweeping generalisations and no substance, maybe it is from experience of that brand or watch, but you didn't mention it if it was.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 08-10-2019 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #1196
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Yes, you can barter with High Street shops. I bought a Breitling a few years ago and got over 20% off, more recently they'd seemed to have reduced the discounts, but I still got Goldsmiths and Beaverbrooks in Meadowhall to compete and got 15% off a couple of months ago. Less discount if you take the 0%.

They'd do the same with Tag. At Sellars Jewellers, who have shops not far from you in Ashbourne and Bakewell, I bought a Formula 1 and got about 15% off before. The Tag I've got for sale now I got 20% off at the same place.

If you've got patience Sellars do a huge marquee at Chatsworth House with all brands in for a few days, usually in November I think. They're always open to bartering there as they need to make sure that they sell enough to warrant the event. They own the Jura watches website as well, so loads and loads of stock there.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #1197
Digidick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you can barter with High Street shops. I bought a Breitling a few years ago and got over 20% off, more recently they'd seemed to have reduced the discounts, but I still got Goldsmiths and Beaverbrooks in Meadowhall to compete and got 15% off a couple of months ago. Less discount if you take the 0%.

They'd do the same with Tag. At Sellars Jewellers, who have shops not far from you in Ashbourne and Bakewell, I bought a Formula 1 and got about 15% off before. The Tag I've got for sale now I got 20% off at the same place.

If you've got patience Sellars do a huge marquee at Chatsworth House with all brands in for a few days, usually in November I think. They're always open to bartering there as they need to make sure that they sell enough to warrant the event. They own the Jura watches website as well, so loads and loads of stock there.
Thank you for all that info, I'll take a look.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #1198
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for all that info, I'll take a look.
Ps. Sellars also do a small stand at the Chatsworth Country Fair, first weekend in September. They have a good Tag selection and that's where I got the Carrera from. £2250 rrp and I beat them down to £1700 before I agreed to buy.

I went in a few times during the day, getting their free Cava, rather than paying Chatsworth prices. I told them I was flying from Heathrow the week after (which happened to be true, but wouldn't have mattered if it wasn't), and I said I wouldn't buy on the day of the show unless I could be sure it wouldn't be cheaper at the airport. I then strung out the negotiation most of the day when I kept passing and they eventually folded and went for my £1700 target price.

And the country fair is a great day out even if you don't get a watch.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #1199
Digidick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ps. Sellars also do a small stand at the Chatsworth Country Fair, first weekend in September. They have a good Tag selection and that's where I got the Carrera from. £2250 rrp and I beat them down to £1700 before I agreed to buy.

I went in a few times during the day, getting their free Cava, rather than paying Chatsworth prices. I told them I was flying from Heathrow the week after (which happened to be true, but wouldn't have mattered if it wasn't), and I said I wouldn't buy on the day of the show unless I could be sure it wouldn't be cheaper at the airport. I then strung out the negotiation most of the day when I kept passing and they eventually folded and went for my £1700 target price.

Blimey thats good going I'm in Florida 1st weekend in September so I'll have to miss the show. As I'm leaving for the US next weekend I'll take a look out there and see what they have, it'll be daft to buy now and then see something. A quick look on the US TAG site doesn't show the Formula 1 I desire so might not have anything I want anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #1200
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I'm considering selling a couple of my watches. Any advice for the the best place to sell please?
      08-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #1201
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Blimey thats good going I'm in Florida 1st weekend in September so I'll have to miss the show. As I'm leaving for the US next weekend I'll take a look out there and see what they have, it'll be daft to buy now and then see something. A quick look on the US TAG site doesn't show the Formula 1 I desire so might not have anything I want anyway.
Not sure you'll find anything in the US right now. RRP prices on the TAG site are quite a bit more than here with the dollar at 1.20 to the pound, and you'll get even less than that from your bank or card provider.

I'd guess that any discounted stores there, could easily be beaten here with the difference in the starting RRP. Worth a look though.

Airport on the way out might be a good call as well. Even if you pay the VAT, they'll be slightly lower than high street prices, and the airport stores will barter too.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #1202
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I'm considering selling a couple of my watches. Any advice for the the best place to sell please?
Widnes seek and sell on Facebook.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #1203
Digidick
Captain
Rep

Yeah I'd spotted the hike in prices when you do the conversion and a good point about the discount might only take me as low as uk prices and possibly not even a current watch as I've heard they shift older stock.

I've actually in the last 20 minutes won a 20 month old Formula 1 same as in my liked watch link in an earlier post for half the new price, just trying to sort collection rather than postage.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #1204
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Quote:

I bought my Breitling in NYC (Wall Street) and was able to agree a price before I went. I could still have not concluded the purchase but in my experience the American dealers were more than happy to engage in a brief haggle via email first.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #1205
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I'd spotted the hike in prices when you do the conversion and a good point about the discount might only take me as low as uk prices and possibly not even a current watch as I've heard they shift older stock.

I've actually in the last 20 minutes won a 20 month old Formula 1 same as in my liked watch link in an earlier post for half the new price, just trying to sort collection rather than postage.
When are you traveling? I live outside Philly and have a couple watches.... the ROE is the killer at the moment. I just bought a Christopher Ward in their 30% off sale and shipped it to the US. Saved a fortune!

If you are traveling near September the Labor Day (sorry US spelling) will be on... Macy's will have a sale and they carry some luxury watches including Tag's.

Easy state and some towns have different sales taxes too... NY is higher. I pay 6% where I am.... that is not included in the price.... unlike the UK vat been in the overall ££.
      08-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #1206
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And as I mentioned it... here is my C8 Flyer
Attached Images

08-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #1207
Digidick
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the info, I travel to Florida 17th Aug - 1st Sep.

I'm still going to take a look in the shops but I've just purchased this from a private seller...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-11-2019, 03:02 AM   #1208
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I've used eBay to sell a few times, it's a bit hit and miss though. I sell a few things on there and every now and then get sent £1 maximum sale commission offers. Worth doing then, if normal fees they can charge you hundreds. Bit rubbish now on standard fees, a few years ago the maximum 10% sale charge on eBay was £40, now it's £250!

I've also sold one to a local jeweller who sells second hand watches. Bit hit and miss again, good price for the one watch, but then rubbish offers for others since.

The online watch traders all seem to offer buttons. Not always easy selling watches from my experience.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17602.50
      08-11-2019, 03:55 AM   #1209
Digidick
Captain
Rep

My purchase was from EBay, hope it's as described as I always like to collect expensive stuff but it's too far this time.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #1210
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I travel to Florida 17th Aug - 1st Sep.

I'm still going to take a look in the shops but I've just purchased this from a private seller...
Nice, they wear well. I picked up the Gulf edition recently. Nice on a nato too.

So Labor Day is the Monday after you leave. That weekend should have some sales.

If you by from an AD I would ask if they can ship the box back for you. Take all the cards and extra links etc out. They're quite accommodating to make a sale...

Enjoy your holiday!