F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust - MPPSK or DINAN
Studio RSR

08-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
dime4dice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Exhaust - MPPSK or DINAN

Hey, I’m currently debating on which one to purchase. I currently have the Dinan midpipe on my 340 but I would like to know feedback on these two exhaust. Which one would you recommend on a daily? I know there’s a big price difference in the 2 but I would like to know your opinion. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime4dice View Post
Hey, I’m currently debating on which one to purchase. I currently have the Dinan midpipe on my 340 but I would like to know feedback on these two exhaust. Which one would you recommend on a daily? I know there’s a big price difference in the 2 but I would like to know your opinion. Thanks.
How are you liking just the Dinan Mid Pipe? I think if you want it on the quieter side MPPSK. The Dinan from what I've seen/heard has got a nice deep sound. Personally I'd go with Dinan
      08-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
dime4dice
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
How are you liking just the Dinan Mid Pipe? I think if you want it on the quieter side MPPSK. The Dinan from what I've seen/heard has got a nice deep sound. Personally I'd go with Dinan
It sounds very good, gives it a nice deep tone matched with the stock exhaust. But I want something that pops and burbles mode. I can get the Dinan exhaust for 1200 but the MPPSK would be 2600.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

MPPSK all day. You get a mild tune, full VALVED exhaust that can be controlled from the drive mode buttons, it's a no-brainer.

I wish n55 had an MPPSK option.
      08-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
MPPSK all day. You get a mild tune, full VALVED exhaust that can be controlled from the drive mode buttons, it's a no-brainer.

I wish n55 had an MPPSK option.
It's true you get the tune but OP is after an exhaust. From the exhaust standpoint idk if that's worth it.... Plus for $1400 difference you can get a flash for the ECU and still have some extra $$ leftover
      08-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
It's true you get the tune but OP is after an exhaust. From the exhaust standpoint idk if that's worth it.... Plus for $1400 difference you can get a flash for the ECU and still have some extra $$ leftover
Right, but you cant just say you're after the MPPSK for the exhaust, the tune is in it no matter what so at that point it's like a cherry on top. Also mppsk sounds alot better than dinan, they have the tone down perfect and the valve operates amazing. It's like saying borla vs akrapovic... no comparison at all.
      08-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
TYE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, '18 440i GC

Another thing to note is if your car is in warranty the mpssk will not void the warranty if you have any issues with the car or drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #8
HLJustin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White 340i

Honestly the biggest deciding factor is warranty and do you care for more power. I got the MPPSK and I enjoy it, but for the money I wish I would have gone full catback and waited for a tune that could actually get the full potential out off my car. Now I'm stuck staring at the Mission Performance Tune wanting more power but going fuck did I really spend $3k on an exhaust only bc it would essentially render my MPPSK tune useless.

If you care for warranty go mppsk. If you don't, go for axle back with tune which I assume would give you the burbles with afr and timing changes and all. Better bang for the buck in my opinion and the reviews look very promising in terms of gains and retaining stock smoothness.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
dime4dice
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJustin View Post
Honestly the biggest deciding factor is warranty and do you care for more power. I got the MPPSK and I enjoy it, but for the money I wish I would have gone full catback and waited for a tune that could actually get the full potential out off my car. Now I'm stuck staring at the Mission Performance Tune wanting more power but going fuck did I really spend $3k on an exhaust only bc it would essentially render my MPPSK tune useless.

If you care for warranty go mppsk. If you don't, go for axle back with tune which I assume would give you the burbles with afr and timing changes and all. Better bang for the buck in my opinion and the reviews look very promising in terms of gains and retaining stock smoothness.
Yea this makes sense. Since I already have the midpipe from Dinan, I’m just gonna go with the exhaust and eventually get the tune. I can’t see myself giving more than 3k plus installation on an exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
2turboBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

I recently went from a Dinan midpipe to the mppsk. I haven't heard the full dinan catback, but can tell you the mppsk is significantly louder and burbles and pops much more than just the midpipe. I'm likely not going to add a tune or piggyback, so I have no regrets. The mppsk sounds sick and the extra power is a plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
dime4dice
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turboBMW View Post
I recently went from a Dinan midpipe to the mppsk. I haven't heard the full dinan catback, but can tell you the mppsk is significantly louder and burbles and pops much more than just the midpipe. I'm likely not going to add a tune or piggyback, so I have no regrets. The mppsk sounds sick and the extra power is a plus.
What made you decide not to get the full Dinan catback
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #12
2turboBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime4dice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turboBMW View Post
What made you decide not to get the full Dinan catback
I wanted a valved exhaust. In comfort mode the mppsk sounds nice and deep but not too intrusive. In sport with the two valves open the muffler is completely bypassed and it sounds very aggressive. Basically a straight back exhaust from the cat with no resonators or muffler.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
dorkiedoode
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Performance

Get the dinan exhaust and a mission performance tune. Mid pipe 500 + 1200 dinan Exhaust + 850 missionP tune w/ burble mode. Both option come out to about the same price. If you get the mppsk, you would have to uninstall and sell the dinan mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
dime4dice
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkiedoode View Post
Get the dinan exhaust and a mission performance tune. Mid pipe 500 + 1200 dinan Exhaust + 850 missionP tune w/ burble mode. Both option come out to about the same price. If you get the mppsk, you would have to uninstall and sell the dinan mid pipe.
I didn’t know missionP had a burble mode tune. Sweet. I just installed the dinan exhaust with the midpipe and it sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #15
CroztheBoz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive MPPSK

I just had the MPPSK installed last Friday, and while the price stings a little, it is well worth it.

In Eco/Comfort I believe all 3 valves are closed, while being slightly louder and lower in tone than the normal exhaust in Sport/Sport+. In Sport, things get a little more fun; total candy to the ears, but in no way is it obnoxious and will not grab any unwanted attention.

Sport+ opens this thing up and is a straight exhaust after the DP. It is loud at this point, obnoxious and I'm absolutely madly in love with it. I've been driving like a total asshole this weekend making the rice krispies sing (the name I gave the exhaust lol), cause this exhaust snaps crackles and pops.

If you add up the cost of a quality catback exhaust plus tune, you're in the neighborhood of the MPPSK. For me it was a no brainier to pay the extra for the peace of mind being backed by the full factory warranty, plus the Dr. Jekyl Mr. Hyde ability it gives the car.

I think the bigger question for you is: what's the end goal for your car? If you want a good platform to keep adding performance parts, go MP tune. If you will not be adding anything else and want some extra power with an amazing exhaust, go MPPSK.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroztheBoz View Post
I just had the MPPSK installed last Friday, and while the price stings a little, it is well worth it.

In Eco/Comfort I believe all 3 valves are closed, while being slightly louder and lower in tone than the normal exhaust in Sport/Sport+. In Sport, things get a little more fun; total candy to the ears, but in no way is it obnoxious and will not grab any unwanted attention.

Sport+ opens this thing up and is a straight exhaust after the DP. It is loud at this point, obnoxious and I'm absolutely madly in love with it. I've been driving like a total asshole this weekend making the rice krispies sing (the name I gave the exhaust lol), cause this exhaust snaps crackles and pops.

If you add up the cost of a quality catback exhaust plus tune, you're in the neighborhood of the MPPSK. For me it was a no brainier to pay the extra for the peace of mind being backed by the full factory warranty, plus the Dr. Jekyl Mr. Hyde ability it gives the car.

I think the bigger question for you is: what's the end goal for your car? If you want a good platform to keep adding performance parts, go MP tune. If you will not be adding anything else and want some extra power with an amazing exhaust, go MPPSK.
I agree with much of what you've said but need to correct you on a few points. The MPPSK is a dual valve system and the exhaust system makes no physical change between Sport and Sport+, the valve positions are the same. Any difference you hear may be with the tune portion not the exhaust itself. I do love the Dr Jekyll option but have to admit I'm almost always Mr Hyde.

Last edited by Beek; 08-20-2018 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #17
CroztheBoz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I agree with much of what you've said but need to correct you on a few points. The MPPSK is a dual valve system and the exhaust system makes no physical change between Sport and Sport+, the valve positions are the same. Any difference you hear may be with the tune portion not the exhaust itself. I do love the Dr Jekyll option but have to admit I'm almost always Mr Hyde.
Thanks for the response and correction, I thought I saw somewhere that there were 3 valves? I must be going crazy!

When I'm driving with someone who doesn't like the exhaust, I throw it the tame mode, otherwise I'm always in loud mode. I haven't looked for so many excuses to go driving since I put an exhaust on my Volvo V70R

I will attest to there being a major audible difference between Sport and Sport+. As I was returning back to my office I backed into my spot to give it some revs and go through the different modes to hear the differences. I didn't hear any between Comfort and Sport, but Sport to Sport+ has a major change in two aspects:
1) Tone becomes much deeper, and can hear the turbo
2) Audible noise level becomes much louder

The only difference I can discern between comfort to sport is shift speeds and throttle response, no audible differences that I can detect.

I'm curious, when did you have yours installed? I wonder if there was a change in programming from yours to now. Mine was installed last week.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      08-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #18
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response and correction, I thought I saw somewhere that there were 3 valves? I must be going crazy!

When I'm driving with someone who doesn't like the exhaust, I throw it the tame mode, otherwise I'm always in loud mode. I haven't looked for so many excuses to go driving since I put an exhaust on my Volvo V70R

I will attest to there being a major audible difference between Sport and Sport+. As I was returning back to my office I backed into my spot to give it some revs and go through the different modes to hear the differences. I didn't hear any between Comfort and Sport, but Sport to Sport+ has a major change in two aspects:
1) Tone becomes much deeper, and can hear the turbo
2) Audible noise level becomes much louder

The only difference I can discern between comfort to sport is shift speeds and throttle response, no audible differences that I can detect.

I'm curious, when did you have yours installed? I wonder if there was a change in programming from yours to now. Mine was installed last week.
I took delivery of the car in February 2016 and added the MPPSK in October 2016. There has much discussion about the differences between Sport and Sport+, to be honest I run in Sport mode exclusively and only use + or turn off the nannies completely if I'm doing a pull. I guess it's time to do some experimenting and see what I think is actually happening in the different Modes.
      08-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
CroztheBoz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I took delivery of the car in February 2016 and added the MPPSK in October 2016. There has much discussion about the differences between Sport and Sport+, to be honest I run in Sport mode exclusively and only use + or turn off the nannies completely if I'm doing a pull. I guess it's time to do some experimenting and see what I think is actually happening in the different Modes.
I'd be curious to see what you come up with in your experiments.

In Sport, do you get the loud exhaust, turbo whine and 'gun shots'? If so, that'd be a major indicator the programming has been changed, since I only get that in Sport+
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd be curious to see what you come up with in your experiments.

In Sport, do you get the loud exhaust, turbo whine and 'gun shots'? If so, that'd be a major indicator the programming has been changed, since I only get that in Sport+
No chance for experiments, it was raining here today so the 340 stayed in the garage. I've checked the exhaust valve positions before and my exhaust valves are both open in Sport or Sport+. Running in Sport I get loads of burbles and pop's, some coming on throttle but mostly off and can easily get gunshots on command. Hard acceleration to anything above 4 grand, lift = Boom! Repeat for pretty much as many Boom's as I want. Always 93 Octane and I personally think I do get less burbles and bangs on 91 Octane although I have no idea why that would make a difference. Hopefully it drys out and I can get her out for a pull or two, and do some experimenting.
      08-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #21
CroztheBoz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No chance for experiments, it was raining here today so the 340 stayed in the garage. I've checked the exhaust valve positions before and my exhaust valves are both open in Sport or Sport+. Running in Sport I get loads of burbles and pop's, some coming on throttle but mostly off and can easily get gunshots on command. Hard acceleration to anything above 4 grand, lift = Boom! Repeat for pretty much as many Boom's as I want. Always 93 Octane and I personally think I do get less burbles and bangs on 91 Octane although I have no idea why that would make a difference. Hopefully it drys out and I can get her out for a pull or two, and do some experimenting.
Totally agree on the 93 vs 91 octane. I have to mix my own 93 here (ethanol free 91 + a couple gallons of E85), but I do notice a difference in how loud burbles and gunshots are.

Very interesting indeed, as I only get burbles and shots in Sports + and Sport is same noise as Comfort. I prefer it this way since I can be sport without having the loud exhaust if I'm going low-key. Looks like BMW may have changed the programming or mine was not programmed correctly?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #22
lmao.its.me
Rep
Drives: Accord

Quote:
Totally agree on the 93 vs 91 octane. I have to mix my own 93 here (ethanol free 91 + a couple gallons of E85), but I do notice a difference in how loud burbles and gunshots are.

Very interesting indeed, as I only get burbles and shots in Sports + and Sport is same noise as Comfort. I prefer it this way since I can be sport without having the loud exhaust if I'm going low-key. Looks like BMW may have changed the programming or mine was not programmed correctly?
Did you verify that sport mode is configured for drivetrain + chassis and not just chassis?
Appreciate 0