F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK installed today on 340i, few questions
ARMA SPEED

01-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite 340i MPPSK

MPPSK installed today on 340i, few questions

1. I asked not to install the side decals. They left a package in the glove box with side decals, M Power kit sticker for engine bay, and an unopened red envelope. Do you need that red envelope if they have to reinstall for some reason?

2. Do you notice a difference between sport and sport+? Seems to burble more and hold gears longer in sport+.

3. Does it take a while for exhuast to "break in"? My 335i had MPE on already when I bought CPO. It burbles in sport+, but no pops or crackles yet on lifting off or downshift.

There seems to be little difference between comfort stock sound and MPPSK on highway driving, notice it more around town at low RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
Aberle
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Limited Edition MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelhinten View Post
1. I asked not to install the side decals. They left a package in the glove box with side decals, M Power kit sticker for engine bay, and an unopened red envelope. Do you need that red envelope if they have to reinstall for some reason?

2. Do you notice a difference between sport and sport+? Seems to burble more and hold gears longer in sport+.

3. Does it take a while for exhuast to "break in"? My 335i had MPE on already when I bought CPO. It burbles in sport+, but no pops or crackles yet on lifting off or downshift.

There seems to be little difference between comfort stock sound and MPPSK on highway driving, notice it more around town at low RPMs.
I've found this little chart, posted by someone else in the forums quite useful. (attached) The sounds were already pronounced prior to the installation of the MPPK while in Sport+ but were amplified further after installation, as would be expected.

With regard to #2. As you mentioned, it holds gears for longer in Sport+ and I also hear more burbles.

With regard to #3 I can only say that the head engineer over at the BMW dealership/shop told me upon installation that I could drive however I wanted to but that it was strongly advised I get used to the HP gains, which is reasonable. He did not mention anything about a break-in period, but I have heard it mentioned in other threads.(something about 1200 miles?) Perhaps someone else can confirm.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aberle; 01-17-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I believe the red envelope is only needed for the initial installation but I'm not sure if it would ever be useful after that.

My car is a manual so I don't notice much of a difference between Sport and Sport+ aside from the stability control differences.

The MPPSK exhaust sound when valves are open won't change after any break-in period. Many mufflers do sound better after 500-1,000 miles (they tend to sound louder and more open, often with a bit less drone) but the MPPSK exhaust is completely straight through when the valves are open, there are zero mufflers and zero resonators as the two valves bypass the rear muffler completely. I did notice my car sounded a little better in Comfort mode when valves were closed after a few hundred miles, the tone got a little deeper but I still am not a fan of valves closed mode and I keep my unplugged 90% of the time so it's always in insane mode.

In Comfort mode, the sound is very close to stock inside the car unless you get deep into the throttle or into higher RPMs when the valves open up. From outside, I think it is noticeably louder than a normal 340i.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
I believe the red envelope is only needed for the initial installation but I'm not sure if it would ever be useful after that.

My car is a manual so I don't notice much of a difference between Sport and Sport+ aside from the stability control differences.

The MPPSK exhaust sound when valves are open won't change after any break-in period. Many mufflers do sound better after 500-1,000 miles (they tend to sound louder and more open, often with a bit less drone) but the MPPSK exhaust is completely straight through when the valves are open, there are zero mufflers and zero resonators as the two valves bypass the rear muffler completely. I did notice my car sounded a little better in Comfort mode when valves were closed after a few hundred miles, the tone got a little deeper but I still am not a fan of valves closed mode and I keep my unplugged 90% of the time so it's always in insane mode.

In Comfort mode, the sound is very close to stock inside the car unless you get deep into the throttle or into higher RPMs when the valves open up. From outside, I think it is noticeably louder than a normal 340i.
Thanks for the info. The red envelope was sealed and package it came in unopened. Says important documents on it, but guess they didn't need it to do the coding. I'll hold onto it for now just in case.

I noticed a difference between sport and sport+ pre MPPSK so probably same post MPPSK. There was no noticeable difference on my 335i in terms of sound or gears. Comfort I notice a sound difference at low rpm, highway sounds close to stock. In terms of power, it's not a very noticeable difference like the sound. Seems pretty subtle and linear so far. I'm still under 1000 miles so no WOT and keeping it just under 5000 rpm.

Makes sense, that's what I meant by break in (bedding in). If it bypasses completely than that's the sound in sport. Burbles some, but no crackling or pops yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberle View Post
I've found this little chart, posted by someone else in the forums quite useful. (attached) The sounds were already pronounced prior to the installation of the MPPK while in Spot+ but were amplified further after installation, as would be expected.

With regard to #2. As you mentioned, it holds gears for longer in Sport+ and I also hear more burbles.

With regard to #3 I can only say that the head engineer over at the BMW dealership/shop told me upon installation that I could drive however I wanted to but that it was strongly advised I get used to the HP gains, which is reasonable. He did not mention anything about a break-in period, but I have heard it mentioned in other threads.(something about 1200 miles?) Perhaps someone else can confirm.
Thanks, yes I noticed right away a significant difference between Sport and Sport+ in the 340i that just wasn't there in my 13 335i. There is a break in period for the car, but not MPPSK. I was just wondering if it got a different sound/tone with time. Remonster made a good point about the dual valve bypass, so comfort might be only mode affected by bedding in over time.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      01-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440 Gran Coupe

I only really get the crackles and pops after letting off at high RPM's so if you're still taking it easy at lower RPM's then I'm guessing that's the issue. On your first WOT you won't be able to quit smiling in the burbles on upshift, it's just flat out addictive.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GCSTL View Post
I only really get the crackles and pops after letting off at high RPM's so if you're still taking it easy at lower RPM's then I'm guessing that's the issue. On your first WOT you won't be able to quit smiling in the burbles on upshift, it's just flat out addictive.
Try manual shifting mode in 2nd gear, Sport+, floor it to about 5,000rpm and then lift off the throttle and stay in gear. That's when my car sounds like actual gunfire, it's pretty wacky but I can't help but laugh every time.
Appreciate 1
Bobby P88.50
      01-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

I've had the MPPSK for a couple months now on my '17 340i xDrive

The only difference between Sport and Sport+ is that Sport+ has DTC on. On public roads I'm too scared to turn off the nannies.

Comfort mode with MPPSK has a deeper sound. And I believe if you really step on the throttle it will open the exhaust valves, at least partially. It's relatively quiet, esp. if you're used to Sport mode, but it's definitely not stock.

Sport is loud. The drone around 1.8 to 2.3k RPMs is loud on the highway. More so for backseat passengers. But it's a drone I've come to love I do wish the MPPSK was smart enough to be like proper M cars, which quiet down on the highway when cruising, and immediately open back up as you get on the gas.

After 4K miles, I can't really judge how the exhaust sound has changed. Sounds the same to me.

I get crackles and pops all the time. Gun it, and let off the gas quickly!

At stop lights - and esp. if in a tunnel at a stoplight - I put it in Park and rev the engine just to hear the pops and crackles. Because awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep

Well, good reason why the power difference seemed "subtle" to me. Turns out that red envelope is pretty important. Opened it and saw that it contains access key for programming. Called and they couldn't confirm, said I had to bring it in. They hooked it up and confirmed that the power kit flash was not installed. They are programming now, should be ready tomorrow. Said they called BMW to confirm there was no problem running exhaust without the programming for the day I had it. Perhaps the lack of pops burbles is related as I think the programming may control dumping a little extra on overrun. Be interesting to see the difference after programming. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      01-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
Aberle
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Limited Edition MPPSK

Quote:
Well, good reason why the power difference seemed "subtle" to me. Turns out that red envelope is pretty important. Opened it and saw that it contains access key for programming. Called and they couldn't confirm, said I had to bring it in. They hooked it up and confirmed that the power kit flash was not installed. They are programming now, should be ready tomorrow. Said they called BMW to confirm there was no problem running exhaust without the programming for the day I had it. Perhaps the lack of pops burbles is related as I think the programming may control dumping a little extra on overrun. Be interesting to see the difference after programming. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I had read about this happening to a gent here in the forums in another thread. I wrongfully assumed that it had been installed in your case because I also got the red envelope after installation, but the way I checked that the software was in fact installed is that the "Sport Displays" reflected the change in HP and Torque. The caveat here is that my 340i is euro spec. A member of the forums pointed out that for the American spec versions of the car there is no change in the sport displays, which makes it more difficult to check if the software is indeed installed.

Let us know if you feel a difference
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:19 AM   #11
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

So I thought that red envelope was necessary to open to apply the remap?? :
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

If your dealership didn't know how to properly install the mppsk I would strongly suggest starting going to another dealership for future repairs.
Appreciate 1
Beek705.50
      01-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, fun!

Got it back today after programming and big difference. Noticed extra power right away pulling out of lot. Overall bit louder and more burbling than before. Some noticeable drone in comfort at low RPM, highway speeds fine. Sport and sport+ significant drone at low rpm, more sensitive throttle.

They apologized for the oversight. They said they rarely do these and was first time tech did an install. They put sticker in engine bay, gave me an install certificate and also a printout of the final programming report. Had to reset a few things in idrive.

Definitely changes character of the car, much more sporty feel now.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      01-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #14
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Try manual shifting mode in 2nd gear, Sport+, floor it to about 5,000rpm and then lift off the throttle and stay in gear. That's when my car sounds like actual gunfire, it's pretty wacky but I can't help but laugh every time.
This worked like a charm, fun crackly stuff! In sport+ it does lots of burbling lifting off at low rpms just going around parking lot, but no crackles. Also tried some revs after it was warmed up, burbles galore.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here's a fun fact: the drone is mostly coming from Active Sound and not the actual exhaust. I coded Active Sound out temporarily and even with my valves fully unplugged, there is hardly any drone but with ASD enabled (and valves either unplugged or plugged in and working normally) you can hear drone. It's not enough to be annoying and is much less than any aftermarket exhaust I've had but it's pretty annoying to know that it's mostly coming from the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Glad they noticed they need the red envelope to reprogram the vehicle - it has an activation code documentation for the ISTA system.

Kind of high-jacking this thread but did any of you experience a heavy/noticeable vibration between 1,300 RPM to 2,000 RPM? I feel like the entire car vibrates/resonates in this RPM range in when the valves are open, and I feel it coming from the front passenger side... not sure if the exhaust is vibrating against something or if this is normal.

Also, did you guys get the template for installing the MPerformance stickers in the correct location? I got the stickers themselves but not the template. Here's what the installation instructions show:
Name:  MPerformance_Sticker_Template_MPPSK.PNG
Views: 4103
Size:  7.5 KB
      01-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #17
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here's a fun fact: the drone is mostly coming from Active Sound and not the actual exhaust. I coded Active Sound out temporarily and even with my valves fully unplugged, there is hardly any drone but with ASD enabled (and valves either unplugged or plugged in and working normally) you can hear drone. It's not enough to be annoying and is much less than any aftermarket exhaust I've had but it's pretty annoying to know that it's mostly coming from the speakers.
Interesting, I had mild low rpm drone on my 13 335i with MPE (10/12 build). Didn't think that car had ASD. The drone is similar, not too bad. I don't hear it at highway speeds in comfort. Did you notice a big difference in cabin volume once the ASD was off?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #18
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Glad they noticed they need the red envelope to reprogram the vehicle - it has an activation code documentation for the ISTA system.

Kind of high-jacking this thread but did any of you experience a heavy/noticeable vibration between 1,300 RPM to 2,000 RPM? I feel like the entire car vibrates/resonates in this RPM range in when the valves are open, and I feel it coming from the front passenger side... not sure if the exhaust is vibrating against something or if this is normal.

Also, did you guys get the template for installing the MPerformance stickers in the correct location? I got the stickers themselves but not the template. Here's what the installation instructions show:
Attachment 1754027
They didn't, but I brought it to their attention.

I haven't noticed this on mine, but read some posts indicating that it could either be piping making contact with heat shield or the area where the exhuast bolts on the system. They took car in and had tech inspect and adjust.

I asked them to leave off the side decals. They were in the unopened package, but no template.
Appreciate 1
DrifterX514.00
      01-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #19
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberle View Post
I've found this little chart, posted by someone else in the forums quite useful. (attached) The sounds were already pronounced prior to the installation of the MPPK while in Sport+ but were amplified further after installation, as would be expected.

That chart is for the 335 as stated below, not 340i and not reprentative of the MPPSK which is for the B58. So the chart represents N55 which is a completely different motor with a lower output stock and lower output with MPPK.
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      01-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #20
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The red envelope was sealed and package it came in unopened. Says important documents on it, but guess they didn't need it to do the coding. I'll hold onto it for now just in case.

I noticed a difference between sport and sport+ pre MPPSK so probably same post MPPSK. There was no noticeable difference on my 335i in terms of sound or gears. Comfort I notice a sound difference at low rpm, highway sounds close to stock. In terms of power, it's not a very noticeable difference like the sound. Seems pretty subtle and linear so far. I'm still under 1000 miles so no WOT and keeping it just under 5000 rpm.

Makes sense, that's what I meant by break in (bedding in). If it bypasses completely than that's the sound in sport. Burbles some, but no crackling or pops yet.
You are talking about a 335 which is the N55 and not the B58. The MPPSK is for the B58 so you they are two completely different things. In sport+ there is more throttle response whether stock or with MPPSK, but the power and sound should be louder with MPPSK.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #21
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post

Attachment 1754027

Your exhaust is rubbing against the heat shield under the car. I had same issue. Take it in have them look for wear spots on the heat shield. It's an easy fix.

There are also some screws it can contact.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #22
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Drone at low rpm does improve after a few k miles
Appreciate 0