F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Chassis Stablization AND Drivetrain Malfunction?
GetBMWParts

05-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
orbE46
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i & 325Ci

Chassis Stablization AND Drivetrain Malfunction?

Last Thursday, on a cold start, I had an error appear: "Chassis Stabilization: Drive Moderately" accompanied by the tri-fecta of DSC/ABS/Brake lights. They went away after a minute, but immediately after the error message came back but only with the DSC light lit. Had the same initial message on about every other cold start since Thursday.

However, yesterday, the "Drivetrain malfunction: reduced engine output" came up for a split second then went away. This message came back just a few minutes ago when I was parking the car (along with Chassis Stabilization), but didn't go away until I shut off the car.

Engine seems to run fine. 2016 340i with 39k. I have an appointment with the dealer to diagnose this week, but has here anybody encountered something similar? Searched around and couldn't find anybody else with both errors occurring. kinda bummed out honestly...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbE46 View Post
Last Thursday, on a cold start, I had an error appear: "Chassis Stabilization: Drive Moderately" accompanied by the tri-fecta of DSC/ABS/Brake lights. They went away after a minute, but immediately after the error message came back but only with the DSC light lit. Had the same initial message on about every other cold start since Thursday.

However, yesterday, the "Drivetrain malfunction: reduced engine output" came up for a split second then went away. This message came back just a few minutes ago when I was parking the car (along with Chassis Stabilization), but didn't go away until I shut off the car.

Engine seems to run fine. 2016 340i with 39k. I have an appointment with the dealer to diagnose this week, but has here anybody encountered something similar? Searched around and couldn't find anybody else with both errors occurring. kinda bummed out honestly...
I have had this issue twice now on my 2015 435 GC. Both times for me it has been the ABS Wheel Speed sensor. First time it was the passenger rear, then about 4 months later the passenger front. I had the exact same symptoms that you did. I would suggest buying a good code reader and seeing exactly what codes get pulled. If it is in fact the wheel speed sensor they are around $100 and extremely simple to install yourself! These wheel sensors seem to fail a lot based on my research when I had this problems. Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
orbE46106.00
      05-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Wife wondering why this is our last German car.
Appreciate 1
orbE46106.00
      05-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

If you're not noticing any performance or drivability problems, maybe try checking your battery voltage before starting your car. I've read that when the battery starts to go, it can trigger a bunch of warning lights.

Do you have an OBD-II code reader handy? Either a standalone unit like the ones from Foxwell or Schwaben, or an app like BimmerLink on your phone with a wireless OBD-II adapter will let you see what codes are being thrown and possibly help narrow down what the issue might be.
orbE46106.00
      05-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post
I have had this issue twice now on my 2015 435 GC. Both times for me it has been the ABS Wheel Speed sensor. First time it was the passenger rear, then about 4 months later the passenger front. I had the exact same symptoms that you did. I would suggest buying a good code reader and seeing exactly what codes get pulled.
+1, the exact same thing happened to me. Everything that relies on speed sensor data to function, from the brakes to the cruise control, in my case even the auto deploy spoiler, will throw a code if a sensor isn't working. It only happened to me once, two years ago, and it must have been an intermittent glitch, as it hasn't happened again. Luckily I had already bought a Foxwell NT510, so I was able to clear the codes, identify the left rear speed sensor as the source, and then verify the speed sensor was functioning. That one use saved me a trip to the dealer, which paid for the tool. I now carry it in the car, in case I need to clear any codes while away from home.
Quote:
Wife wondering why this is our last German car.
Virtually all recent model cars have ABS, which means they all have speed sensors, so they all can have the same problem.
Appreciate 1
orbE46106.00
      05-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
+1, the exact same thing happened to me. Everything that relies on speed sensor data to function, from the brakes to the cruise control, in my case even the auto deploy spoiler, will throw a code if a sensor isn't working. It only happened to me once, two years ago, and it must have been an intermittent glitch, as it hasn't happened again. Luckily I had already bought a Foxwell NT510, so I was able to clear the codes, identify the left rear speed sensor as the source, and then verify the speed sensor was functioning. That one use saved me a trip to the dealer, which paid for the tool. I now carry it in the car, in case I need to clear any codes while away from home.
Virtually all recent model cars have ABS, which means they all have speed sensors, so they all can have the same problem.
When I would clear the codes they would just come right back so I had to go ahead and replace the sensors. Codes cleared themselves right after and have perfect since. I do have two new sensors for the driver side in case they want to crap out lol.
Appreciate 1
orbE46106.00
      05-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
orbE46
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys. Two more observations today:

-When pulling out of a parking lot, brake pedal was initially very hard (while driving, not just like when you start it) and there was a high-frequency light pulsing on the pedal.
-Brake pedal was normal after 2 more stops, but then Drivetrain malfunction came up.
-Sport mode is not allowed when one or both of these malfunctions are present. Assuming that's by design and not another underlying issue?

The pedal thing kind of scared me, braking power was definitely reduced and I have no idea what the ABS system was trying to do. At any rate I have warranty remaining so I'll update with the dealer's findings tomorrow.

And I definitely need to get proper scanning equipment for the car. My understanding is all my E46 diag programs (INPA, PA Soft, Tool32) won't work on this car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Two more observations today:

-When pulling out of a parking lot, brake pedal was initially very hard (while driving, not just like when you start it) and there was a high-frequency light pulsing on the pedal.
-Brake pedal was normal after 2 more stops, but then Drivetrain malfunction came up.
-Sport mode is not allowed when one or both of these malfunctions are present. Assuming that's by design and not another underlying issue?

The pedal thing kind of scared me, braking power was definitely reduced and I have no idea what the ABS system was trying to do. At any rate I have warranty remaining so I'll update with the dealer's findings tomorrow.

And I definitely need to get proper scanning equipment for the car. My understanding is all my E46 diag programs (INPA, PA Soft, Tool32) won't work on this car.
I wouldnt stress too much until you see what they have to say. It sounds just like the ABS sensor problem so hopefully that is what it is. Just dont push the car hard and avoid braking too hard until get it sorted.

Yes it disables sport mode to try and keep the engine from being pushed too hard.
Appreciate 1
orbE46106.00
      05-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
orbE46
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. Turned out to be the left rear wheel speed sensor. If they’re known to go bad often on these cars fortunately that’s not something tough to DIY. Done several on the E series cars and it looks identical.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. Turned out to be the left rear wheel speed sensor. If they’re known to go bad often on these cars fortunately that’s not something tough to DIY. Done several on the E series cars and it looks identical.
Glad thats all it was. Cheap and easy fix!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:13 AM   #11
as100
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I

Quote:
How did you diagnose the issue? Code scanner?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #12
webdeemo
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

I have the same problem, i think i will check that sensor. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 11:51 PM   #13
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Install ISTA+ on your laptop and get a ENET cable.
      12-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #14
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30 Luxury Line

Garage List
Wheel speed sensor
Appreciate 0