F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MHD flash failed, failed to flash back to stock and now car won't start.
Studio RSR

05-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3

MHD flash failed, failed to flash back to stock and now car won't start.

Hopefully someone can help here... I actually have a 2016 F15 X5 but I wanted to post here since that forum doesn't get as much traffic.

I had MHD stage 1 v1.08 91 OCT flashed to my X5 since last august and have not have any issues. Hadn't played with anything else since.

Recently I had a few things that needed attention under warranty and I took it to the dealer. Flashed back to stock file with no issues. Had a headlight replaced, seat cover replaced, and steering rack replaced. Of note, they said they had to "code" the new headlight in and they had "issues" but turned out that some of the components that were swapped during the new headlight assembly had broke during the process and in the end it was all good but took a few extra days.

Got the car back and had a chance today to reflash using the MHD flasher. Hooked up cable, read everything fine. Hit the stage 1 v1.08 91 OCT button and it first erases ECU and then gives me a message saying "Failed to flash ecu section. Error Code 7F 36 72"

Tried it again; same result.

At this point, I tried to flash back to stock. Again same result.

At this point, I noticed a constant ?pump noise which I assume is the LPFP; not sure if I had noticed it going before the flash. Decided to hook up my charger and had same issues. I did hook up the charge since I've done this previously without the charger and never had issues.

Did a quick search and saw some people say to pull LPFP fuses so I did that - same result.

At this point, I go into the google play App Store and notice there's an update for the MHD app so I update it.

Tried to flash stage 1 and stock again but this time I get the message "The file is not compatible with this DME" Tried to clear codes but it seems like there are some that remain.

I have all the drivetrain error messages and the car doesn't even attempt to start now.

Now that I think back, maybe the dealer flashed my DME and its now a new version that's not compatible.

What do I do now? How fucked am I?
Attached Images

Last edited by Everling; 05-12-2020 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Step 1: Email MHD support.

Before you went into the dealer, did you completely uninstall MHD or just flash back to stock map?

It's normal to hear the pump running and other noises during the flash, but i dont ever recall it being a constant noise. That could be because the flash failed or was interrupted so it didnt reach the stage where it stops it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep

pretty sure I flash completely back to stock and uninstalled MHD using to "stock map operations" option.

Yes I also emailed MHD. just posting here too.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everling View Post
pretty sure I flash completely back to stock and uninstalled MHD using to "stock map operations" option.

Yes I also emailed MHD. just posting here too.
Well, there's a big difference between a complete uninstall and just flashing back to stock map. You would know based on how long it took - complete uninstall is full length (15-30 mins), flashing to stock map is quick (1-3 mins). I have heard of people having issues when they only go to stock map, then go to dealer and dealer does a software update, then they try to just do a quick write again. The safest option is always to completely uninstall before going to dealer, then completely reinstalling from scratch when you get the car back.

I just did exactly that a couple of weeks ago. I had been running MHD since last year (although i changed maps more recently, that was original install), i completely uninstalled before going in, had some service/warranty done, then completely reinstalled after i got the car back. No issues.

Also, you always want to make sure you update the app before doing any flash.

Sorry i can't be more helpful to your specific situation; it sounds like you tried what you could from within the app. Might have to wait to see what MHD says.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yea then it was definitely a full flash since it took 25 minute today. When I said "pretty sure" I was kinda of second guessing myself because I noticed now there was an option to flash a "stock map" with MHD on the same page but if there's a large time difference then it was definitely a full stock flash/MHD uninstall.

Unfortunately I didn't realize I should be updating the app before all flashes
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
Everling
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got a response from MHD with instructions. Everything is fixed now.

Just as I suspected, my car got a new software update at the dealership during the last visit and now my DME is locked. They gave me a special apk version to install that was able to get the stock tune back and now the car is fully operational. Will need a bench flash if I want to flash an MHD tube again though which sucks. Debating if I should just do that now or wait 1 more year when the warranty runs out.

Thankful my DME isn’t bricked and was able to recover it fairly quickly with the help of MHD. Their newest app version would have detected this if I had updated it prior to flashing again.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everling View Post
Got a response from MHD with instructions. Everything is fixed now.

Just as I suspected, my car got a new software update at the dealership during the last visit and now my DME is locked. They gave me a special apk version to install that was able to get the stock tune back and now the car is fully operational. Will need a bench flash if I want to flash an MHD tube again though which sucks. Debating if I should just do that now or wait 1 more year when the warranty runs out.

Thankful my DME isn’t bricked and was able to recover it fairly quickly with the help of MHD. Their newest app version would have detected this if I had updated it prior to flashing again.
Glad you got it fixed, i think the lesson for everyone is:

1. Always update the app to the newest version.

2. Always completely uninstall MHD before going into the dealer or getting any service where you could get a software update.
Appreciate 3
      05-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

Just a quick question (as I am going to buy this application soon) On the choices of Android software (in French) MHD TUNING, as choice there is "flash back to stock" // "flash stage 0 (stock power)" // "generate update backup"

What choice to uninstall completely before going to your BMW dealer please ?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Haven’t heard this over on the M2 forum, but is BMW locking N55 DME’s now, just like they did with S55’s?

To date, the M2C S55 guys now have to bench flash, but the M2 N55 guys can still do OBD flash.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
Just a quick question (as I am going to buy this application soon) On the choices of Android software (in French) MHD TUNING, as choice there is "flash back to stock" // "flash stage 0 (stock power)" // "generate update backup"

What choice to uninstall completely before going to your BMW dealer please ?
Flash back to stock and completely uninstalling MHD is the correction option to remove the software. You will know its the right choice because it is a "full write" that takes 15-25 mins (with USB cables).

Flash stage 0 keeps MHD installed but just goes back to stock tune. That would only take a few minutes.
Appreciate 1
F20_M135i100.50
      11-30-2022, 04:22 PM   #11
iisaacc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Exclamation My TCU may be bricked.

I got the same error while trying to flash the GTS Transmission tune. Now I have transmission malfunction and it keeps failing every time. All other flashes work fine. Did I brick the TCU?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisaacc View Post
I got the same error while trying to flash the GTS Transmission tune. Now I have transmission malfunction and it keeps failing every time. All other flashes work fine. Did I brick the TCU?
This is F3x N55 forum, that doesn't apply to us, better check forum for your vehicle
Appreciate 0