F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Next Step Input after Stage 2 F30 N55
Studio RSR

05-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
CitrinF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive 8AT

Next Step Input after Stage 2 F30 N55

Hello all, looking for input on what to do next/ to look out for on my F30 N55 xDrive.

I've got,
Evolution Racewerks Anodized Black FMIC
Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
CTS Turbo Charge Pipe
Uprgraded NGK R Spark Plugs (2 Steps colder then stock (.22)
K&N Drop in Dry Filter
Billstein B14 Coilovers

+ Cosmetic stuff that isn't totally relevant.

Looking for your input and experience on what I should do next whether that's improvements or maintenance related.. thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Going off of this, what's everyone's opinion on upgrading the DV/ BOV.. aftermarket Air intake..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Next Step Input after Stage 2 F30 N55

Depends a lot on your goals and what you're looking for. Assuming you have a tune already and are looking for hardware upgrades, from what most have done, If you're looking for more power then the pure turbos 800 might be for you but in doing so you should upgrade the HPFP as well. I myself personally have an order out for the Dorch stage 1 HPFP because my stock HPFP crashes when trying to reach target boost for example but after this one I most likely won't upgrade the turbo as this build should tide be over for a while until I eventually look into the G8x platform in a few years.

What're your goals with the vehicle?
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      05-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #4
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Blank

I would say goals in terms of power are anywhere at or over 400whp at this point, I know a turbo upgrade will be my next big step if I want large power gain.

I'm currently just running the Stage 2 93OCT OTS map from BootMod3. When did you start having HPFP issues? What were you running when you experienced them? And how much did that pump run you if you don't mind me asking.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #5
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
Depends a lot on your goals and what you're looking for. Assuming you have a tune already and are looking for hardware upgrades, from what most have done, If you're looking for more power then the pure turbos 800 might be for you but in doing so you should upgrade the HPFP as well. I myself personally have an order out for the Dorch stage 1 HPFP because my stock HPFP crashes when trying to reach target boost for example but after this one I most likely won't upgrade the turbo as this build should tide be over for a while until I eventually look into the G8x platform in a few years.

What're your goals with the vehicle?
Pure 800?? Wrong section my friend. This is the N55 not the B58.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrinF30 View Post
I would say goals in terms of power are anywhere at or over 400whp at this point, I know a turbo upgrade will be my next big step if I want large power gain.

I'm currently just running the Stage 2 93OCT OTS map from BootMod3. When did you start having HPFP issues? What were you running when you experienced them? And how much did that pump run you if you don't mind me asking.
Now that you have mentioned your goal, you will need a custom tune Upgraded HPFP and maybe E85 mix to get to 400whp.

Post some log of your current setup to ensure everything is running properly.

Also, an intake doe not yield much aside from turbo noise. Upgraded DV might be good but I wouldn't swap out unless your stock dv is failing.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #7
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Quote:

Now that you have mentioned your goal, you will need a custom tune Upgraded HPFP and maybe E85 mix to get to 400whp.

Post some log of your current setup to ensure everything is running properly.

Also, an intake doe not yield much aside from turbo noise. Upgraded DV might be good but I wouldn't swap out unless your stock dv is failing.
Okay, I have had recommendations of a custom tune rather then OTS..

Yeah I figured as much, just was wondering if it provided any real power gain other than turbo noise.. will keep that in mind for the DV.

I will try to get a good 3rd gear log tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm not able to have E85 in my area.. (reliably or close).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:45 PM   #8
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I figured as much, just was wondering if it provided any real power gain other than turbo noise.. will keep that in mind for the DV.

I will try to get a good 3rd gear log tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm not able to have E85 in my area.. (reliably or close).
Just a quick FYI for logs. If your manual transmission start in 3rd gear, if you are auto transmission start in 4th gear. DSC fully off as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #9
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just a quick FYI for logs. If your manual transmission start in 3rd gear, if you are auto transmission start in 4th gear. DSC fully off as well.
Thank you! Just out of curiosity have been looking at some options for additional oil cooling.. such as (BMS B Cool Oil thermostat, BMS B Cool Oil Filter Cap/ Housing) any opinion on these? Needed, beneficial? Have heard positive results but with a trade off of the car taking much longer to get to operating temp.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #10
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! Just out of curiosity have been looking at some options for additional oil cooling.. such as (BMS B Cool Oil thermostat, BMS B Cool Oil Filter Cap/ Housing) any opinion on these? Needed, beneficial? Have heard positive results but with a trade off of the car taking much longer to get to operating temp.
If you are tracking your car perhaps this would be a an option but aside from that its not needed.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #11
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you are tracking your car perhaps this would be a an option but aside from that its not needed.
Cool, thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #12
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is Dorch who you would automatically go to for the HPFP upgrade? Was just looking and see the have the stage 1 or stage 2.. if I ever plan on upgrading the turbo is stage 2 the way to go?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:26 AM   #13
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

Munchi435i I've been in the B58 log threads for far too long lol good catch.

CitrinF30 If you know that you're going PS2 at some point then it would make sense to get the Dorch Stg 2 or equivalent HPFP. I opted for the stage one as the $1,100 that I paid will allow me to run the tune that I've been working on with my tuner without dialing back due to the stock HPFP not being able to keep up.

As mentioned above, without the PS2 but including an upgraded HPFP, you would need a form of E85 mixture to most likely break 400whp with stock turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Munchi435i I've been in the B58 log threads for far too long lol good catch.

CitrinF30 If you know that you're going PS2 at some point then it would make sense to get the Dorch Stg 2 or equivalent HPFP. I opted for the stage one as the $1,100 that I paid will allow me to run the tune that I've been working on with my tuner without dialing back due to the stock HPFP not being able to keep up.

As mentioned above, without the PS2 but including an upgraded HPFP, you would need a form of E85 mixture to most likely break 400whp with stock turbo.
FYI, BMWDIYGUY made 430whp IIRC, stock turbo with FBO and HPFP. Can't remember if he had intake and/or inlet. It's back in one of his threads somewhere. So you dont need E85 mixes to get there, but it makes it a little easier, especially if your pump gas isnt great.

But as i say on every thread, a dyno number without a baseline is kindof worthless, as is chasing some xxx HP number. The car isnt going to magically feel faster once you break a HP threshold and driveability, area under the curve, etc, are far more important than peak HP number. There seems to be an obsession on this forum of people breaking 400whp with stock turbo lol...
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      05-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

thejeremyman9 I couldn't agree with you more that the delta from baseline should be the focus but I've seen some threads that you've posted in where you've made that case and statement where the person still has a fixation on breaking a number threshold.

I just try to toss in my 2 cents for what their goals are leaving the assumption of reliability / drivability in their hands.
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      05-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
thejeremyman9 I couldn't agree with you more that the delta from baseline should be the focus but I've seen some threads that you've posted in where you've made that case and statement where the person still has a fixation on breaking a number threshold.

I just try to toss in my 2 cents for what their goals are leaving the assumption of reliability / drivability in their hands.
I should rephrase.

I more so want a level of power, (threw 400 out there but I am fine with the Stage 2 level.. ) more so just care about having a nice amount of power, reliably and smoothly. Want to know what supports to add and improvements to the car at this power level.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #17
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

CitrinF30 Thanks for clearing that up, didn't want to seem negative about it but some are fixed on pure numbers. Since BMWDIYGUY made 430 whp, everything that was stated above you can use as your "checklist" and see where it gets you.

Since the Dorch HPFP stage 1 and 2 will take some time to ship given COVID-19, I'd suggest looking into putting an order sooner rather than later since a custom BM3 tune can be sought out during the wait time. All tuners aren't alike so if you do look into it while waiting for the pump, speak with them so that they're aware that you will need a revision to dial in your tune with the pump as I've seen from some members, they've had to pay additional after they received theirs and wanted to add it in. Best to make your goals for to the tune clear so there are no "surprises".
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #18
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I should rephrase.

I more so want a level of power, (threw 400 out there but I am fine with the Stage 2 level.. ) more so just care about having a nice amount of power, reliably and smoothly. Want to know what supports to add and improvements to the car at this power level.
If you want nice power reliably and smooth, go FBO (IC+CP+DP) and run MHD stage 2+ lol.

Kidding, but not really. It just works.

If you want to max out your stock turbo and really squeeze out all the power you want, then add a HPFP and custom tune. You have to consider the diminshing returns in terms of $/HP once you go beyond FBO and a OTS map, not to mention the fact that you are continuing to push your stock turbo further to the limit. Not saying its not reliable, but your statement "nice amount of power, reliably and smoothly" seems more like you should just stop at FBO and OTS map...It's a personal decision if that's what you want to do. All of us get the itch to continue modifying and pushing further when we know the parts are available. It's up to you where you draw the line, otherwise next thing you know youll be adding a PS2 on top of the HPFP, etc. Down the rabbit hole you go.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #19
CitrinF30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
I should rephrase.

If you want nice power reliably and smooth, go FBO (IC+CP+DP) and run MHD stage 2+ lol.

Kidding, but not really. It just works.

If you want to max out your stock turbo and really squeeze out all the power you want, then add a HPFP and custom tune. You have to consider the diminshing returns in terms of $/HP once you go beyond FBO and a OTS map, not to mention the fact that you are continuing to push your stock turbo further to the limit. Not saying its not reliable, but your statement "nice amount of power, reliably and smoothly" seems more like you should just stop at FBO and OTS map...It's a personal decision if that's what you want to do. All of us get the itch to continue modifying and pushing further when we know the parts are available. It's up to you where you draw the line, otherwise next thing you know youll be adding a PS2 on top of the HPFP, etc. Down the rabbit hole you go.
Haha this is true.. yeah at this point I've got the "FBO" mods on BM3 Stage 2, any particular reason you say to go with MHD 2+ over others?

Is there any "supporter" mods that are good ideas? Stronger axles? (Upgraded components)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #20
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Haha this is true.. yeah at this point I've got the "FBO" mods on BM3 Stage 2, any particular reason you say to go with MHD 2+ over others?

Is there any "supporter" mods that are good ideas? Stronger axles? (Upgraded components)
I'm not going to start a tune debate here, ill just say look for tune-related issues in the MHD thread vs. the BM3 thread. MHD just works.

Drivetrain is fine honestly. Keep up with maintenace, shorten intervals a bit (oil 5k, plugs 10-15k, trans at 60k, etc), and you should be fine. People run FBO stage 2/2+ for 10s of thousands of miles. Hell, some people run PS2 for that long. And just log intermittently to make sure all is well.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:42 PM   #21
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

thejeremyman9 I feel like some of the prominent log threads for both N55 and B58 for example should have a sticky towards the top. I hate to be that guy to say to use the search function but when getting into the weeds of the pros and cons of BM3 and MHD CitrinF30, those topics have been discussed in some threads so just running a search should narrow down to the threads where you can read up on where most of this stuff is already discussed.

Power wise, your journey down the power rabbit hole should lastly be the PS2 after the HPFP. Mods and routine maintenance aside, driving sensibly will go a long way in not crushing your axles in lower gears and the enjoying the car for many happy miles
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:57 AM   #22
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned xHP, I'm a 6mt driver myself so don't have it, but that with the stage 2 is an improvement in itself right? still supposed to be better than the BM3 trans tune?