F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Eibach Lowering kits 06-22 and 05-22
ARMA SPEED

01-24-2022, 12:36 PM   #23
Bobafet7
Bobafet7
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I was making the same assumption about engines being the same on some models so the axle loads and springs must be the same. But in some instances that turned out to be incorrect. The front axle loads were different by 30kg. And that turned out to be enough for Eibach to specify different spring kits.

I am waiting for him to respond with the axle load from his driver's door jam. There must be a reason for Eibach to recommend that he use the -06 kit instead of the -04 kit. His front axle load is probably the key.
My car shows:

Front 984Kg
Rear 1170Kg
Total GVWR 2093Kg

Once again this is for a 328d Xdrive with F30 with N47 engine which is 2.0L Turbo Diesel.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:10 PM   #24
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafet7 View Post
Quote:
I was making the same assumption about engines being the same on some models so the axle loads and springs must be the same. But in some instances that turned out to be incorrect. The front axle loads were different by 30kg. And that turned out to be enough for Eibach to specify different spring kits.

I am waiting for him to respond with the axle load from his driver's door jam. There must be a reason for Eibach to recommend that he use the -06 kit instead of the -04 kit. His front axle load is probably the key.
My car shows:

Front 984Kg
Rear 1170Kg
Total GVWR 2093Kg

Once again this is for a 328d Xdrive with F30 with N47 engine which is 2.0L Turbo Diesel.
Based on those numbers, of the three Eibach kits I would use the -04 kit, not the -05 or the -06. The springs in the -04 kit are rated at the lowest of the three at front 1020kg/rear 1310kg.

Just to be sure I would suggest looking around at local dealer or used car lots to find any 320d XDrives to see if the axle weights on their door jams are similar to yours. I saw that the 320dx uses four different power levels of the N47 or B47 engine so their axle weights may vary a little. But they all use the Eibach -04 spring kit. So if their axle weights are in the same range as your 328dx, then the -04 kit should be a good fit for your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 06:22 AM   #25
Markyboyt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

The plot has thickened on this for mine. A company that replied to my Koni enquiry have now confirmed that they don’t advise them for the F36 due to weight, not sure why if some of the 335d’s can be heavy enough to require the 06-22 spring set.

Quote:
The short answer is that these dampers were as you know developed and are listed for the 1,2 & 3 series xDrive cars, Koni have since tested them on the 4 series and whilst technically they
will fit all xDrive 4 series, they will only list them for the F32 & F33.

The reason is that the F36 Grand tourer being heavier uses different springs and the damping characteristics for the Actives is not up to KONI expectations, some people have fitted these to the F36 and may
not have noticed the difference, but the engineers think special actives are not optimal for F36 X-drive, which is why they are not recommended.

Sport dampers are listed as they can be manually adjusted to the customers preference and the different springs..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 04:47 AM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyt View Post
The plot has thickened on this for mine. A company that replied to my Koni enquiry have now confirmed that they don’t advise them for the F36 due to weight, not sure why if some of the 335d’s can be heavy enough to require the 06-22 spring set.

Quote:
The short answer is that these dampers were as you know developed and are listed for the 1,2 & 3 series xDrive cars, Koni have since tested them on the 4 series and whilst technically they
will fit all xDrive 4 series, they will only list them for the F32 & F33.

The reason is that the F36 Grand tourer being heavier uses different springs and the damping characteristics for the Actives is not up to KONI expectations, some people have fitted these to the F36 and may
not have noticed the difference, but the engineers think special actives are not optimal for F36 X-drive, which is why they are not recommended.

Sport dampers are listed as they can be manually adjusted to the customers preference and the different springs..
Suggest contacting Koni in UK or Germany. Koni tech support is a great resource in the US but they may not have complete information if your model & engine combination isn't sold here.

I know guys who have installed adjustable Koni Sport Yellow dampers and love them. If Koni has them listed for your car then you can't go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:28 AM   #27
Markyboyt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Suggest contacting Koni in UK or Germany. Koni tech support is a great resource in the US but they may not have complete information if your model & engine combination isn't sold here.

I know guys who have installed adjustable Koni Sport Yellow dampers and love them. If Koni has them listed for your car then you can't go wrong.
Yes this was through koni’s contact page which was sent to a uk company RFT who seem to be listed as Koni UK. The guy there was helpful and liaising with Koni on the matter. Weirdly they do list the SA’s for the F34 which I think may be heavier.
I’ve ordered the sports anyway so should have them in a week or 2 then get everything built up ready to fit.
Appreciate 2
johnung4528.00
      02-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #28
Markyboyt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Almost got all of the bits together now, just waiting on a few deliveries before I can get them built up ready to fit.
johnung can you tell me what your axle weight figures are for your car please, obviously you got the states drops with the 06 kit didn’t you. I opted for the 05 kit so will see how it is when fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #29
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyt View Post
Almost got all of the bits together now, just waiting on a few deliveries before I can get them built up ready to fit.
johnung can you tell me what your axle weight figures are for your car please, obviously you got the states drops with the 06 kit didn’t you. I opted for the 05 kit so will see how it is when fitted.
According to the technical specifications, my US 2015 335i XDrive has a front axle load of 1,034kg and a rear axle load of 1,170kg. See attached photo from my glovebox Owner's Manual.

I would be curious to hear from someone with the European version of the same car because I would expect the front axle load rating to be less.

Eibach specs the -06 spring kit for the US model and the -05 spring kit for the European model. And Eibach estimates the exact same drop in both cars of Front 0.8"/20mm and Rear 0.6"/15mm.

According to EibachUS, the spring rates of both kits are identical and the rear springs themselves are identical in both kits.

But according to Eibach, the Front spring from the -05 kit would have a lower installed height in my car by 15mm. That would mean a total front drop of 35mm or about 1.2"-1.4".

I'm curious to try it. But I will make sure to take very exact before and after measurements to find out exactly how much the difference is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
asbrr543.00
      03-10-2022, 08:00 PM   #30
TravisBGolf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Hi all - new to the forum and this is my first post. I’ve been lurking here for quite a while and just now joined. The very helpful information of others helped me to make decisions like this so I hope to return the favor.

I was debating between the 02-22 and the 05-22 for my 340i XDrive. The 06-22 ones were not really on the table as I felt like the effort to lower the car wouldn’t be worth how subtle the drop was. Ultimately I chose the 05-22 springs for 2 reasons: 1. Comfort. I previously had Rwd springs on my E90 335i XDrive and while it looked incredible, I had to be very strategic when driving to avoid specific areas on my commute with bumps or dips in the road as they could be very jarring. With the 05-22 springs this is not an issue. 2. Longevity of the stock adaptive dampers. I felt like the higher ride height won’t wear the OEM dampers out as fast. I could be completely wrong in this assumption.

The look of the car with the 05-22 springs is still only subtly lower than factory. Unfortunately I forgot to take measurements before installation. I prefer the look of the 02-22 rwd springs but that comes with compromises and I much prefer the ride of the car a little higher when driving over imperfect surfaces.

I’ll post pictures if anybody has interest but figured I’d add my $.02 in case anybody else is out there debating like I was.
Appreciate 2
dmanb2b2124.50
asbrr543.00
      03-10-2022, 11:02 PM   #31
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBGolf View Post
Hi all - new to the forum and this is my first post. I’ve been lurking here for quite a while and just now joined. The very helpful information of others helped me to make decisions like this so I hope to return the favor.

I was debating between the 02-22 and the 05-22 for my 340i XDrive. The 06-22 ones were not really on the table as I felt like the effort to lower the car wouldn’t be worth how subtle the drop was. Ultimately I chose the 05-22 springs for 2 reasons: 1. Comfort. I previously had Rwd springs on my E90 335i XDrive and while it looked incredible, I had to be very strategic when driving to avoid specific areas on my commute with bumps or dips in the road as they could be very jarring. With the 05-22 springs this is not an issue. 2. Longevity of the stock adaptive dampers. I felt like the higher ride height won’t wear the OEM dampers out as fast. I could be completely wrong in this assumption.

Yup, I was in the same boat. I just documented my experince in this thread recently.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1901058
The look of the car with the 05-22 springs is still only subtly lower than factory. Unfortunately I forgot to take measurements before installation. I prefer the look of the 02-22 rwd springs but that comes with compromises and I much prefer the ride of the car a little higher when driving over imperfect surfaces.

I’ll post pictures if anybody has interest but figured I’d add my $.02 in case anybody else is out there debating like I was.
Yup, I was in the same boat. I just documented my experince in this thread recently.
Appreciate 1
asbrr543.00
      03-11-2022, 08:08 AM   #32
TravisBGolf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post

Which ones did you end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #33
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Which ones did you end up going with?
05-22, paired with Koni SAs and f80 bump stops
Appreciate 1
asbrr543.00
      07-23-2022, 10:00 PM   #34
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:

This is a tip I learned from my buddy who owns a local BMW shop. Whenever he replaces dampers he also replaces the stock rubber bits above and below the shocks and springs. He said that even if they look fine, they degrade with age and use. Gotta replace them too to make the suspension feel like new. My car has over 50k miles and those rubber bits are about 8 years old. Definitely can't hurt to replace them.

Hope this helps!
do you have the BMW part number for this rubber bits? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 10:38 PM   #35
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
Quote:

This is a tip I learned from my buddy who owns a local BMW shop. Whenever he replaces dampers he also replaces the stock rubber bits above and below the shocks and springs. He said that even if they look fine, they degrade with age and use. Gotta replace them too to make the suspension feel like new. My car has over 50k miles and those rubber bits are about 8 years old. Definitely can't hurt to replace them.

Hope this helps!
do you have the BMW part number for this rubber bits? thanks.
Put your VIN in realoem website and review suspension diagrams
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 12:29 AM   #36
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Put your VIN in realoem website and review suspension diagrams
Is it number 10 and 11 for the rear?

Number 4 and 6 for the front?

Also if buying a coilover, is it still necessary to replace the rubber bits? Or only with koni & eibach combo to replace the rubber bits?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0