F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > High Ambient Temp Track Use / N55
Extreme Powerhouse

06-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

High Ambient Temp Track Use / N55

Has anybody done a track day around 105-109F degress in an N55. I have bootmod3 OTS S2 and debating pulling off the tune and downpipe to get ready for next weeks track day. Projected temperatures will be in the 105-109 range....

Its either that or I drive my e36 lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Just pull down the tune to stage 1 or oe, that should give you enough headroom for iats. I don't tbinm your F30 has an IC does it?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #3
romemedrano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Just pull down the tune to stage 1 or oe, that should give you enough headroom for iats. I don't tbinm your F30 has an IC does it?
Yeah ive been running that ebay special Gplus brand one for awhile. Got a few track days on them! I can pull it down to stage 1 if need be!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemedrano View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Yeah ive been running that ebay special Gplus brand one for awhile. Got a few track days on them! I can pull it down to stage 1 if need be!
Cool I believe you should be good with the detune approach then. But you could always log iats while on 2, if they seem to high just detune. Someone else with some real life exp will chime in though. NE heat isn't Socal heat 🤣
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
pullinate
Rep
Drives: M340i

I had some trackdays with my M235 in recent years, there was very hot summer here in Switzerland!
Of course it's very hard on the car, but the car will put itself in limp mode if you get up to temperatures that are concerning. Oil temperature for example is no problem at all, I would only start going slower when the oil is going above 265F.
The car will also pull timing for sure, if tuned and driven hard on the track.
Just go for 10 minutes full attack and let it cool for some laps, that's how I've done it. Because it will not only be a problem for the engine but also for the whole car!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

The downpipe should help with the heat, but I usually run the stock tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:06 PM   #7
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by romemedrano View Post
Has anybody done a track day around 105-109F degress in an N55. I have bootmod3 OTS S2 and debating pulling off the tune and downpipe to get ready for next weeks track day. Projected temperatures will be in the 105-109 range....

Its either that or I drive my e36 lol.
What altitude is the track at? Altitude is bigger problem than ambient heat.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:15 AM   #8
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
As previous posters have said, just revert to the OE tune. Remember your car does not have a coolant gauge. I would have something monitoring and displaying real time coolant, trans, oil, and tire temps. If you get close to the limit on any then ease off and do a cooldown lap or two.

The car should be fine though.

Another thought, if you are still using the OEM intercooler you need to upgrade for track use. Your tune will be more consistent in daily driving situations and your engine will be more protected on track. Air temps coming off the turbo can approach 500F during track duty. This is wayyyyyy too much for the tiny OEM intercooler to dissipate. I recommend something like the VRSF race FMIC. I've used it for years and it has been extremely effective even in 100+ degree temps.

Remember the lower your air temps the lower the cylinder temps will be. Higher ethanol content will also reduce cylinder temps as well. However more than 20% is not recommended without additional supporting mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #9
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBeemer View Post
As previous posters have said, just revert to the OE tune. Remember your car does not have a coolant gauge. I would have something monitoring and displaying real time coolant, trans, oil, and tire temps. If you get close to the limit on any then ease off and do a cooldown lap or two.

The car should be fine though.

Another thought, if you are still using the OEM intercooler you need to upgrade for track use. Your tune will be more consistent in daily driving situations and your engine will be more protected on track. Air temps coming off the turbo can approach 500F during track duty. This is wayyyyyy too much for the tiny OEM intercooler to dissipate. I recommend something like the VRSF race FMIC. I've used it for years and it has been extremely effective even in 100+ degree temps.

Remember the lower your air temps the lower the cylinder temps will be. Higher ethanol content will also reduce cylinder temps as well. However more than 20% is not recommended without additional supporting mods.
Do you have a suggestion for a device that can monitor coolant, trans, and oil temps?

Tire temps can be monitored via coding and the factory display.

Also, are you concerned that the VRSF race FMIC is so massive that it blocks some airflow going into the radiator?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #10
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Do you have a suggestion for a device that can monitor coolant, trans, and oil temps?

Tire temps can be monitored via coding and the factory display.

Also, are you concerned that the VRSF race FMIC is so massive that it blocks some airflow going into the radiator?
Hi there! I sure do have a suggestion. Good call on the tire temps. I've coded that in and use it at every track event. While it deferrers from the tire surface temp its still a great indicator of temperature trends.

With a wireless OBDII dongle apps like BimmerLink or DashCommand can display real time data on a cell phone. I use this during AutoX sessions to display temps for coolant, oil, and trans on my phone which is mounted on my line of sight.

In terms of the VRSF race FMIC blocking the radiator, I'm not concerned at all. Airflow passes through the FMIC to the radiator behind and is of no concern. This is no different than the heat exchanger and radiator that are stacked on the S55 in the F8X M cars (which block significantly more radiator surface area). See the attached image.
Attached Images

Last edited by ClevelandBeemer; 07-01-2021 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBeemer View Post
Hi there! I sure do have a suggestion. Good call on the tire temps. I've coded that in and use it at every track event. While it deferrers from the tire surface temp its still a great indicator of temperature trends.

With a wireless OBDII dongle apps like BimmerLink or DashCommand can display real time data on a cell phone. I use this during AutoX sessions to display temps for coolant, oil, and trans on my phone which is mounted on my line of sight.

In terms of the VRSF race blocking the FMIC, I'm not concerned at all. Airflow passes through the FMIC to the radiator behind and is of no concern. This is no different than the heat exchanger and radiator that are stacked on the S55 in the F8X M cars (which block significantly more radiator surface area). See the attached image.
Do you have any logs while on the track? And do you run the stock tune?
      07-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #12
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Do you have any logs while on the track? And do you run the stock tune?
Hi there. I unfortunately do not have any logs from track use. I'm usually by myself in the car and I don't want my laptop to be destroyed. That said depending on ambient temps I will either run no tune or up to 6 PSI over stock. If you are not comfortable running the tune simply use the stock map. I'm my own warranty so I'm not as concerned about breaking anything. After 6 years of ownership the car has held up well to my abuse.
Appreciate 0