F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 TU Install Troubleshooting - B46 Gen 1
GetBMWParts

12-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
NotYourDads330
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

B58 TU Install Troubleshooting - B46 Gen 1

While attempting to install the B58TU pump I bought for my B46, I ran into a few issues and was hoping someone could share some knowledge to help me and others out.

1.) The TU pump base plate did not seem to sit with the valve cover base plate. I know that an issue that can stop it from sitting correctly is the cam not being fully turned which causes it to hit the pump spring. This brings me to my next issue.

2.) The only way to turn the engine over was to keep reinstalling the OEM pump. Connecting the battery. And then starting the engine just enough to try to turn the engine over and get it to stop at the correct spot.

Generally, the cam is connected to the fly with one big bolt. Not mine, 4 tiny bolts. Also extremely difficult to reach without removing a bunch of coolant hoses. Unless I'm just stupid which is entirely possible.

Everything I've seen on this install is a 1 to 1 easy install and it was up until I couldn't get the pump to sit against the valve cover.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?! TYIA!

P.S. The picture is the B58 pump seated the best I could get it.
Attached Images

12-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
SRHosein
Private First Class
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-sport

1. Did you torque to correct spec? I am thinking you can just crank if you suspect any issues with camshaft hitting but the HPFP has a spring which compresses when rotating on the camshaft. Hence if you tighten it enough it should compress. Also check if anything is hitting. See attached video of the triangular lobe which the HPFP runs on: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kdY...ew?usp=sharing

2. You can simply crank to rotate engine with fuel lines secure (or have a bottle to collect the fuel) and HPFP/injectors disconnected. That is the easiest way.

I believe your problem is the TU HPFP is not installed/aligned properly. Could also be the gasket is not installed properly. Also try torqueing the bolts evenly.

I am seeing the manual stating to rotate but don't think it should make a difference as the spring will compress
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Removing-and-installing-HPFP.pdf (3.28 MB, 159 views)

Last edited by SRHosein; 12-14-2021 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0