F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Crunchy Sound After Mechatronic Rebuild
ARMA SPEED

06-22-2023, 05:55 PM   #1
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Crunchy Sound After Mechatronic Rebuild

So I rebuilt my mechatronics unit with new solenoids and a sonnax zip kit to try and resolve some shifting issues. I also changed the fluids in the transfer case and front / rear differentials, and transmission fluid obviously. Car is an XDrive model.

I am now getting a weird crunching noise. At first I thought a tire was rubbing, but after getting it in the air I realized it's coming from the drivetrain. Has anyone heard anything like this? I made a video with the car in drive, it doesn't seem like the driveshaft is hitting anything. Sound seems to be coming from the transfer case area, but I didn't really do any work to it other than changing the fluids.

The car drives and shifts through the gears just fine. I only got it up to about 30MPH due to the noise, but reverse and the first 3 gears are fine. I also reset the transfer case adaptations as well as the transmission adaptations.

Kinda stumped... Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by kdog_x; 06-22-2023 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Got it figured out. Apparently in bending the edge of heat shield to change the transfer case fluid it contorted the center enough to where it was hitting the driveshaft. Took it down and flexed it back out again and all is well
Appreciate 4
FaRKle!3996.00
Watsey6378.50
Eddamoo377.00