F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 engine stopped/ engine problems
Studio RSR

07-23-2021, 01:55 AM   #1
Lukeeb
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series f30

F30 engine stopped/ engine problems

Hello all.

Do apologise in advance it may be a little long.....

I currently own a bmw f30 2017, I had the car from the dealer from New. Currently say at 33,000 miles

I've being having some problems with the engine.....

Driving home one day on the motorway, and the air intake breather pipe split. Got the car home and replaced it but it was covered it oil? after I replaced it there was a knocking noise coming from the engine when under load at low revs. Took it to a garage, they plugged it into the computer and said my throttle was at -5 and should be at 0, they reset the codes and the car was fine..... few weeks after I start losing oil a lot but no sign of any leaking? A little blue smoke now and then. I then start getting a few errors come on up my system..Low oil (when it's full) drivetrain error and lack of engine power?. Again few days past and all was good again. Got told to put some DPF cleaner in with the fuel because it might need a clean. So I guessed I would give it a try. Big mistake. I goes round the corner and the car messed up, It started revving fully on its own and wouldn't stop it, blue smoke flying out the back it then finally cut out and would not turn over. I took it to bmw ( was closest garage) for them to say the engine had seized due to water intake, even though we have had some of the best weather recently.......

And advice on what to or what it would be would be much appreciated thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:32 AM   #2
AndyCKent
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

So BMW have said water has got into the Inlet?

You said the air intake had split, is this just something you noticed? Could it have split some time ago and the engine had been ingesting water for a while?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:37 AM   #3
Rich76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i msport x drive

Sounds more like diesel runaway !
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:53 AM   #4
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
It sounds like diesel runaway but the anti-shudder valve should have stopped that. I would check if that's working correctly, also may be worth investing in a proper fault code reader.

If the car says it has low oil but you've verified that the level is normal (verified being operative word) then it's possible the oil level sender is faulty.

When was the car last serviced?

Knocking noise under load at low revs - could be normal diesel clatter, or something more serious like main bearing failure, which can occur with oil starvation.
      07-23-2021, 04:14 AM   #5
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Might also help if you say what engine it is.....
Appreciate 1
Rukka2624.50
      07-23-2021, 04:58 AM   #6
Lukeeb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCKent View Post
So BMW have said water has got into the Inlet?

You said the air intake had split, is this just something you noticed? Could it have split some time ago and the engine had been ingesting water for a while?

Was driving down motor way then heard a pop, blue smoke come out the back. So I pulled over to check and noticed this had split and oil was over the engine. Then I replaced it straight away and topped it with oil.

Sorry engine is a 2.0 diesel B47D20O0
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Sounds like the oil level has risen due to failed DPF regens, this has caused the original problem, and then has caused the runaway and engine failure.

33k in 4 years is not enough mileage for a modern DPF diesel
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
Lukeeb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Sounds like the oil level has risen due to failed DPF regens, this has caused the original problem, and then has caused the runaway and engine failure.

33k in 4 years is not enough mileage for a modern DPF diesel
All the symptoms that happens back this up. Only problem I have now Is proving this to bmw. When I first took it to them they looked in the cylinders and found water drops in there so are sticking to a story that I caused this by some how taking in water through the air ways so will not fix it on there side.

What's the best way to prove this to them would you say ?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeeb View Post
All the symptoms that happens back this up. Only problem I have now Is proving this to bmw. When I first took it to them they looked in the cylinders and found water drops in there so are sticking to a story that I caused this by some how taking in water through the air ways so will not fix it on there side.

What's the best way to prove this to them would you say ?
Thanks
I'd suggest you'd need an independent report carried out which will include why the engineer believes the engine has failed.

Even so, I'm not sure what that will accomplish - apart from to have made your pocket a bit lighter from the engineers report
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:53 PM   #10
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

There are several failures/factors here, each of which could have played a part.

Blue smoke indicates that oil is being burnt - most likely due to worn turbo seals, or potentially worn piston rings. Both are extremely uncommon on an engine which has only done 33,000 miles. Vaporised oil is typically the fuel source for diesel runaway but, again, 33,000 miles is extremely young in the life of a modern diesel engine.

What specific DPF cleaner did you add to the fuel, and in what ratio ? Seems more than a coincidence that just after you added something to the fuel the engine went into runaway and failed.

I don't accept the dealer's explanation at this stage. Significant water ingress is more likely to cause hydro lock than runaway. I'd insist on a full report from the dealer - certainly wouldn't just accept it washing its hands of the situation.

It's extremely unlikely that water would be getting into the engine via a split crankcase breather pipe (which I assume is what you were describing). Consider that front-facing air inlet pipes have to deal with rain and road spray when cars are travelling at speed - this is a far bigger source of water ingestion and engines deal with that just fine.

More information would be useful. Has the car been main dealer serviced as per BMW requirements ? Does it regularly get driven on long journeys ? Do you drive the car hard before the engine is at full operating temperature ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 03:32 AM   #11
Lukeeb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
There are several failures/factors here, each of which could have played a part.

Blue smoke indicates that oil is being burnt - most likely due to worn turbo seals, or potentially worn piston rings. Both are extremely uncommon on an engine which has only done 33,000 miles. Vaporised oil is typically the fuel source for diesel runaway but, again, 33,000 miles is extremely young in the life of a modern diesel engine.

What specific DPF cleaner did you add to the fuel, and in what ratio ? Seems more than a coincidence that just after you added something to the fuel the engine went into runaway and failed.

I don't accept the dealer's explanation at this stage. Significant water ingress is more likely to cause hydro lock than runaway. I'd insist on a full report from the dealer - certainly wouldn't just accept it washing its hands of the situation.

It's extremely unlikely that water would be getting into the engine via a split crankcase breather pipe (which I assume is what you were describing). Consider that front-facing air inlet pipes have to deal with rain and road spray when cars are travelling at speed - this is a far bigger source of water ingestion and engines deal with that just fine.

More information would be useful. Has the car been main dealer serviced as per BMW requirements ? Does it regularly get driven on long journeys ? Do you drive the car hard before the engine is at full operating temperature ?
Yeah serviced from a bmw garage, I drive it on the motorway for around 50miles a day for work. And dont really drive it hard, deffently not when engine its cold
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 03:43 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

There seems to be a chain of events from your first description... I'm assuming BMW didn't do any of the repairs, or look at the oil consumption issue.

Like Watsey, I wonder about the cleaner, what and why??? Your use doesn't lead to needing a DPF cleaner at the mileage, unless something else is wrong with the engine management.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 06:53 AM   #13
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah serviced from a bmw garage, I drive it on the motorway for around 50miles a day for work. And dont really drive it hard, deffently not when engine its cold
If you drive it 50 miles a day, how is it that it's 4 years old with only 33k on the clock ?

From your original post, it appears you carried out the repairs from the breather hose splitting yourself, you then got an independent garage to 'reset the codes' (did they actually look to see if there was a deeper cause behind the problem codes ?).
You then started losing a lot of oil, had fault codes (were they investigated ? If so, by who ?).
At this point somebody (who ? BMW dealer, independent garage, mate down the pub ?) told you to put a DPF cleaner in the car.
Then the engine blew up

The devil is usually in the details. And this is lacking a lot of details.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:56 AM   #14
Lukeeb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
If you drive it 50 miles a day, how is it that it's 4 years old with only 33k on the clock ?

From your original post, it appears you carried out the repairs from the breather hose splitting yourself, you then got an independent garage to 'reset the codes' (did they actually look to see if there was a deeper cause behind the problem codes ?).
You then started losing a lot of oil, had fault codes (were they investigated ? If so, by who ?).
At this point somebody (who ? BMW dealer, independent garage, mate down the pub ?) told you to put a DPF cleaner in the car.
Then the engine blew up

The devil is usually in the details. And this is lacking a lot of details.

My job before was only 3 miles away so only used the car on weekends.

Yeah I replaced the hose myself as it was clip on and off. I took it to a garage for a look and they had a look and couldn't find anything ( clearly didn't look enough) they only found a code that needed resetting. Obvs not the best garage. There wasn't a error code as in when you scan the car but more of a information error on the idrive system that disappeared when I restarted the engine. I'll be honest I'm not the best at fixing cars/ problems with them and I don't have loads of money to keep paying bmw to look at my car and charge me an arm and a leg, if I did I would pay for the new engine but I don't that's why I come here for some help and advice
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 03:54 AM   #15
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

You still haven't elaborated about the DPF cleaner.

What brand and product did you use ? How much did you use ? How much fuel was in the tank when you added the product ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #16
Lukeeb
Rep

Quote:

What brand and product did you use ? How much did you use ? How much fuel was in the tank when you added the product ?

Do apologise.

It was tetrosyl (car lube) DPF cleaner 300ml. There was around 25 liters of fuel in the car. I left a little in the bottle as it says around 30 liters for the whole bottle of DPF cleaner. So maybe slight less fuel, but don't believe it should have done this.

Bmw says they seen water drops in cylinder 3 only, could this have been mistake for this DPF cleaner? Or oil maybe ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #17
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 320D Sport Auto

Are you sure they mean 'water' as in rainwater?....Or do they mean water as in 'Coolant water' in No 3 cylinder?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #18
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Could you not get water in the cylinders from a leaky EGR cooler?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #19
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do apologise.

It was tetrosyl (car lube) DPF cleaner 300ml. There was around 25 liters of fuel in the car. I left a little in the bottle as it says around 30 liters for the whole bottle of DPF cleaner. So maybe slight less fuel, but don't believe it should have done this.

Bmw says they seen water drops in cylinder 3 only, could this have been mistake for this DPF cleaner? Or oil maybe ?
The fuel gauge isn't very accurate - if it was reading 1/2 full it's almost certain that less than 25 litres were in the tank.

On that basis I'd have only added around 1/3 bottle of DPF cleaner.

I don't know whether an overdose of DPF cleaner would be sufficient to cause significant damage. Probably not but clearly something caused the engine to have a runaway situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #20
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Can you take a picture of what you're describing as the Air intake breather pipe? Air intakes and breathers are usually different parts.

Split boost pipes can cause the turbo to work much harder than it should because it's trying to compensate for the air being lost. I've regularly seen turbos let go soon after a major boost leak.

Were you getting a turbo whistling sound before the engine killed itself? It definitely sounds like it ran away due to catastrophic turbo failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:17 AM   #21
Lukeeb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
Are you sure they mean 'water' as in rainwater?....Or do they mean water as in 'Coolant water' in No 3 cylinder?
They never told me. They are doing there best at keeping everything from me, they won't send me video or photo evidence. I will ring them again and check
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:24 AM   #22
Lukeeb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
Can you take a picture of what you're describing as the Air intake breather pipe? Air intakes and breathers are usually different parts.

Split boost pipes can cause the turbo to work much harder than it should because it's trying to compensate for the air being lost. I've regularly seen turbos let go soon after a major boost leak.

Were you getting a turbo whistling sound before the engine killed itself? It definitely sounds like it ran away due to catastrophic turbo failure.

Air intake breather hose cam/rocket cover is what it is coming up on Google, will post a link

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+air+breather+hose&client=ms-android-samsung-gn-rev1&hl=en-US&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEw jEuJuazoLyAhXFSxUIHXbICc4Q_AUIFigC&biw=412&bih=733 &dpr=2.63#imgrc=SgOjpM1QzcfoMM[/IMG]

Appreciate 0