F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: Earthquake SWS-8Xi Under Seat Subwoofer Install
Extreme Powerhouse

12-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #1
xnick101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 335i (F30)

DIY: Earthquake SWS-8Xi Under Seat Subwoofer Install

What's up, guys? I haven't seen much info anywhere at all about installing Earthquake under-seat subwoofers into an F30. There's a ton of E90 DIY's on youtube but nothing for an F30. So I decided to take some pictures while doing mine. These are a GREAT subwoofer upgrade on a budget. They sound amazing and add a good amount of bass even while keeping the factory HI-FI amp. These are 2 OHM versions and they fit perfectly into the stock sub-location.
Total cost: $240 for 2 subs and an adapter kit.
For reference, bavsound ghost under seat subwoofers cost about $560. Don't let the price fool you. These are a super nice upgrade and it's really nice deep bass. It is a noticeable difference in bass. If do an amp upgrade, it would be even better as the stock HI-FI amp is underpowering these bad boys by a lot!
Link to sub: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link to adapter ring (comes with two adapter rings): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tools needed: Some speaker wire (about 2 feet is more than enough), wire stripper tool, Torx T50, T20, T9 (Not on all cars), Phillips head screwdriver, a small pry bar type tool, Ratchet/10mm. Some cars use a screw around the speaker. Mine for some reason had Torx T9 bolts which I have not seen on any videos before. Anyway, onwards!

Step 1: Remove the 4 T50 Torx bolts to take off the seat. Slide the seat forward to get the rear bolts first, then slide back and remove the front two. You can use this video for reference for removing the seat and taking off the grill.
*This is a good time to vacuum under your seats*
*DO NOT FOR ANY REASON UNPLUG THE YELLOW AIRBAG PLUG. Just lean the seat back and it will just sit there*
Step 2: Use T20 torx to remove the 4 bolts holding down the speaker lids.
Step 3: Use a 10mm and ratchet to remove the two silver bolts holding down the entire speaker+mounting box. Use a small flathead to hold back the tab and pull off the harness clip.
Step 4: Once it is out of the car, use T9 OR screwdriver to remove screws holding the speaker to the box. *NOTE*: On some cars, the speaker is actually glued to the box. Using a small pry tool you need to insert into this area by where the 10mm's were, shown in the picture below, and just LIGHTLY push up until you feel the speaker start to lift off in that area. Once that's up you can use your hands to just pull and the rest will just lift. Don't press hard the plastic will snap right off.
Step 5: Pull out the old speaker. Put adapter ring on new speaker, attach the adapter ring wiring to the speaker matching + to + and - to -. The terminals are sized for each wire plug so you really can't mess it up.
Step 6: Install speaker into box, make sure to position the adapter ring terminals in the cutout in the box properly.
Step 7: So for the wiring, you can cut the stock harness if you want but you have to reattach it if you ever want to swap subs or go back to stock. I decided to just strip back some of the wiring on the stock harness and splice my own wiring into it and use that so I can go back and install the stock subs if I ever want to in the future. The other end of that wire goes into the adapter ring terminals. Red and black is positive and red and brown is negative (drivers side) Blue and red is positive and blue and brown is negative (passenger side). *Wiring color is different if you don't have the Bmw HI-Fi sounds or have the HK speakers*
Step 8: Insert the screws back into the speaker so it gets screwed back into the factory box. I had to find 2 wood screws for each speaker. I found some in the garage that fit fine for me. For some reason, only 2 of the 4 T9 screws would fit back. I assume it's the thickness of the adapter ring. Normal-sized wood screws go back in perfect. Tighten the bottom two screws after the box is mounted back in the car or else it's hard to connect the wires to the adapter ring. At this point, you can turn on the radio and check if it's playing. If not you need to flip the wires on the adapter ring terminals because it's in reverse.
Step 9: If all is working fine, reinstall the 10mm bolts, put the speaker grill back on, (Take a picture of these before-hand so you know the orientation), tuck the stock speaker harness/plug and extra speaker wire under the carpet and you are done!

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk!
Attached Images

Last edited by xnick101; 12-07-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
johnung2153.50
      12-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
What's up, guys? I haven't seen much info anywhere at all about installing Earthquake under-seat subwoofers into an F30.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1730058
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
xnick101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Touché. That didn't come up when I searched for it last month. Well, I added pictures and found a cheaper adapter ring lol.
      12-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Maybe you searched the wrong forum? This section is DIY, but still most audio mods are posted in the audio section. Take advantage of johnung's amp install instructions too, because the hi-fi amp lacks the necessary power to make best use of the Earthquake subs.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC

This is the correct section if to introduce just the rem/inst of components and not how to improve the audio entertainment.
Nevertheless, this is old stuff, I'd tossed this years ago https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1350208 and one time more I dont understand why nearly all of the F30 drivers dont use their forum areas but the F32.
Still the same mess like at M4 section, I dont care a sh*t about a F80 but the hords are also still using it instead of the M3...

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer had warned you about
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
xnick101
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
This is the correct section if to introduce just the rem/inst of components and not how to improve the audio entertainment.
Nevertheless, this is old stuff, I'd tossed this years ago https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1350208 and one time more I dont understand why nearly all of the F30 drivers dont use their forum areas but the F32.
Still the same mess like at M4 section, I dont care a sh*t about a F80 but the hords are also still using it instead of the M3...
No idea why the search didn't pull up anything at all for me. That's why.
Side note: Can any admins move this thread to the audio section?
      07-27-2021, 01:48 AM   #7
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/3 M56 & F31d

FYI OP, you installed the adapters atop the subs and they go under it.
LCI AC controller +Anthracite trim & vent, F80 paddles + extendable merino armrest + merino knee bolster, EU headlight switch, 340/330 brake upgrade, KW Street Comfort coilovers, Match UP7BMW + Earthquake 8xi.
Appreciate 0