F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Active Protection (S5AL)
ARMA SPEED

03-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Active Protection (S5AL)

Does this include collision warning on HUD/instrument cluster?
Also how quickly does the windows & sunroof close when the car is about to crash?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Does this include collision warning on HUD/instrument cluster?
Also how quickly does the windows & sunroof close when the car is about to crash?
" ATTENTION!! YOU ARE ABOUT TO CRASH !!! "

" BRACE FOR YOU LIFE "

type of message ?? this is new... this sounds like a MB feature...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

There's a warning symbol displayed. For US market I can see the button on cars with LDW.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

" BRACE FOR YOU LIFE "

It alarms and brakes for you if no reaction is given (on the 5 serie).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post

" BRACE FOR YOU LIFE "

"BRACE BRACE BRACE"

I guess the walkways to the nearest emergency exit will be lighted and oxygen masks will come done

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Looking at the description the BMW US website, it doesn't make much sense:

"If a crash was unavoidable, the system applies the vehicle’s brakes automatically and brings it to a standstill, without the driver needing to act. This reduces – or in an ideal case completely rules out– the probability of secondary of follow-on collisions and their consequences."

So if a crash was unavoidable, it avoids it? Eh??

And what do they mean by secondary follow-on collisions? Don't those usually involve people going into the back of you etc, which Active Protection obviously isn't going to be able to prevent?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
I think it will work every trick possible in order to make the crash less big/better survivable

Quote:
And what do they mean by secondary follow-on collisions? Don't those usually involve people going into the back of you etc, which Active Protection obviously isn't going to be able to prevent?
You got me there.. if it applies full brakes, it would only increase the risk if you ask me

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
I think they mean collisions where you hit something and then continue on to impact something else. In those situations the automatic braking would stop you before the second impact, or at least lessen the force.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Mm Active Protection doesn't warn you at all. It prepares you for an accident with "forward-looking vision" (LOL, translation) by belt tensioners and closing your windows.

Collision warning is (in our country) another option. It warns you for collisions (big red car in your instrument cluster) and brakes for you if you do not act on time. When warning it prepares the brakes for emergency-stop-braking (nop, I can't translate that properly).

But I don't know if collision warning and active protection is in the same package.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
I think they mean collisions where you hit something and then continue on to impact something else. In those situations the automatic braking would stop you before the second impact, or at least lessen the force.
Meh, I can't imagine that happening very often - usually, I'd have thought, the car would be out of control after the first impact anyway and brakes might not do much to help.

I guess it only has to save one life to be worth it but I'm unconvinced whether the cost is worth the reduced risk. Cars these days are already incredibly safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
"If a crash was unavoidable, the system applies the vehicle’s brakes automatically and brings it to a standstill, without the driver needing to act. This reduces – or in an ideal case completely rules out– the probability of secondary of follow-on collisions and their consequences."
I'm with you guys, this is completely nonsensical. If your vehicle slams on the brakes to avoid an "unavoidable" collision (oxymoron), chances are that this will totally increase the possibility of the vehicle behind you slamming into your rear-end. Unless, of course, this is an imaginary BMW world where all of the vehicles are networked and sensing each other's decisions.

They probably should have said, "If a crash was highly likely, the system applies the vehicle's brakes automatically, without the driver needing to act. Seat belts are automatically tensioned, and windows are rolled up, to protect the environment from your flying body parts. BMW Assist will also be automatically notified that you will be needing a new rear bumper and neck brace when the vehicle behind you slams into your a$$".
      03-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the braking would not be sufficient to avoid a collision anyway, unlike the Benz version of this feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Meh, I can't imagine that happening very often - usually, I'd have thought, the car would be out of control after the first impact anyway and brakes might not do much to help.
Actually it sort of happened to me, but you could be right about the frequency of it occurring.

I was sitting at an intersection at a red light. The perpendicular lanes were green, but then turned amber. At that point a car came flying down the road and tried to make the amber, just as a truck started making a left turn. The car slammed on the brakes, swerved to avoid but slammed into the truck's side at an angle. He bounced off and careened into the front of my car, stopped at the red. It was all over in about 3 seconds.

From the sound of his tires I could tell he tried braking during the avoidance, but not after the first impact. Probably too stunned, or something. Some kind of automated braking might have helped in this situation, although I suppose I don't know whether the BMW braking would have intervened in this particular scenario.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Actually it sort of happened to me, but you could be right about the frequency of it occurring.

I was sitting at an intersection at a red light. The perpendicular lanes were green, but then turned amber. At that point a car came flying down the road and tried to make the amber, just as a truck started making a left turn. The car slammed on the brakes, swerved to avoid but slammed into the truck's side at an angle. He bounced off and careened into the front of my car, stopped at the red. It was all over in about 3 seconds.

From the sound of his tires I could tell he tried braking during the avoidance, but not after the first impact. Probably too stunned, or something. Some kind of automated braking might have helped in this situation, although I suppose I don't know whether the BMW braking would have intervened in this particular scenario.
In this scenario, as I understand it from your description, I don't think that the BMW system would have helped very much at all. I think the BMW system is most effective for vehicles/objects that it has been tracking for a little time (a vehicle in front of it that has slowed down). Since this particular situation involved the car accelerating to beat the yellow light, and the truck only coming into its line-of-sight at the last moment, I don't think that the BMW system would have known to apply the brakes any sooner. Since the system doesn't affect the steering angle, an impact would have probably been unavoidable.
      03-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
In this scenario, as I understand it from your description, I don't think that the BMW system would have helped very much at all. I think the BMW system is most effective for vehicles/objects that it has been tracking for a little time (a vehicle in front of it that has slowed down). Since this particular situation involved the car accelerating to beat the yellow light, and the truck only coming into its line-of-sight at the last moment, I don't think that the BMW system would have known to apply the brakes any sooner. Since the system doesn't affect the steering angle, an impact would have probably been unavoidable.
Well yes, the primary impact was likely unavoidable. But I wonder whether his momentum would have been slowed if he'd had automatic braking after he bounced off and drove into me. Again though, I'm not sure that it would have activated at all. It all depends on whether the primary impact would have registered with the on-board computer.

On a related note, where is that SecureFoam system for the passengers that I saw in Demolition Man?

Now that's active protection!

Last edited by Raspartan; 03-13-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: X4 30d

Quote:
Looking at the description the BMW US website, it doesn't make much sense:

I'm too wondering the same sentence as they say "crash WAS unavoidable", so in this case crash already happened and after that then the car will slow down automatically to stop. Hmm. what's the point to have car breaking after crash why not before ???
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #18
F30Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330D M-Sport RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT View Post
I'm too wondering the same sentence as they say "crash WAS unavoidable", so in this case crash already happened and after that then the car will slow down automatically to stop. Hmm. what's the point to have car breaking after crash why not before ???
Probably giving too much control to the car.

I wouldnt mind if the car applied the brakes after an impact to ensure the vehicle came to and stayed at a stop. But as for the car autonomously braking for me =\ That's just ultimately losing control of your most important function of the car. Regardless how good computers are becoming; my windscreen wipers have went haywire twice already with the car suffering with the FEM faults like many others. Having auto brake on cruise is bad enough and usually I will just disengage cruise to slow down manually - especially on motorways which have a reduced limit.

Chances are the car wouldn't spot 'pop up' threats any quicker than you. It is a computer after all and you have a brain - so there is no advantage to be had against deer etc. And if you're worried about rear ending stationary traffic then you need to respect that you're driving what can be a killing machine and pay more bloody attention to the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

If you have an impact strong enough to deploy airbags, the driver is then probably not able to steer / brake his car, so auto braking at this point makes sense.

See plenty of accident where after a car after impacting the side / front of another at a cross road, will then just randomly bounce into other traffic / tree / building / side walk etc ...

As for collision prevention, you have that in Volvo or Infinity already. Not sure if that work the same in the 3, although you could try, preferably using something soft and at low speed.
Appreciate 0