F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > S2000 Owner Looking To Make The Switch
GetBMWParts

07-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
suzukaphillip
Estoril Blue F30 335i
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F30 335i

S2000 Owner Looking To Make The Switch

Hey,

As the title states, I'm an S2000 owner who is in the market of a BMW. In fact, I am checking out a 2014 Estoril Blue M-Sport 335i this weekend. I was wondering if the F30 community would have any tips as a new owner.

Here are some things I am curious about:

1. What are some crucial things to look out for when I check out this 335i. It has 45k miles and a single leased owner.

2. Driving style: With my Honda, I live above 6k RPM and the motor doesn't mind it a bit. I'm under the impression that I will have to treat this motor very differently. To an extent, after reading the cliche, "BMWs aren't reliable", I'm almost afraid to do anything other than drive it like a grandma. How much of the reliability is exaggerated?

3. What are your personal thoughts on the 8AT. I've driven manual my whole life, but I am looking for something much more comfortable and I am willing to give up the manual transmission considering the paddles may make up for the loss at least a bit. I'd prefer a MT, but that limits my search by a lot and I am willing to give it up.

4. How long do you let the car warm up before taking it into the higher RPM.

5. What general advice to you have for an S2000 owner making the switch?

I am pretty excited about the 335i. It looks to be lightyears above my S2000 in terms of comfort. I'm getting very tired of my stiff aftermarket suspension, loud HKS exhaust, and road noise from the convertible top. The 335i seems to fix all of my woes and still offer a fun powerful turbo engine. Plus, the Estoril Blue is far better than my Suzuka Blue.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
R.I.P. Grandma
Rep
Drives: 2014 435

Good luck. As someone who has owned 2 S2K's in his life, I think you will generally be happy with your choice. As with any car, there will be pros and cons, but I'll share my thoughts on your questions at a high level.

1) Generally since these vehicles have most maintenance included free of charge, they should be in good shape with milage under 50k. Just verify the maintenance has been performed on time. Just the vehicle has an existing warranty? Outside of looking for general abuse, you may want to have it checked by a shop if no warranty just to ensure things are OK.

2) BMW will require more maintenance and generally will not be as reliable as your S2K. With that said, most folks drive the S2K above 6k rpms because that is where most of the power kicks in and it makes it more fun to drive. The power delivery on the BMW is very linear in my opinion and you shouldn't worry about revving it to redline. The BMW will have much more torque so you may not feel the need to rev it that high as often to get an enjoyable ride.

3) I prefer a manual transmission over an automatic. This is just a preference as I like to have full control of my vehicle. I've heard good things about the 8at if you choose to go down that path.

4) lots of factors, such as temperature, but generally you can start driving relatively quickly while keeping rpms below 3500k and as your oil temperature increases you can start to increase the revs. I would say you should drive for at least 5 minutes at a minimum.

5) Sounds like you are OK with giving up the raw lightweight roadster experience and take on a more smoother experience for your driving. Just make sure you are OK giving up the manual before going to the AT. I've seen plenty of people reverse course after a few months, but other than that, the bmw is a nice car, good highway cruiser that will not be as raw or fun to toss around as the S2K, but it will also provide many more creature comforts that you will enjoy and a much smoother ride with a lot more space. Go for it and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Lysol
Dü Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Hey, welcome to the community!

I'm a Honda guy myself, my 335i was my first foray in to German territory. Here's my $0.02...

1. I think one of the main items to look for on the N55 in these cars is leaks from the engine oil filter housing (although repair isn't a huge hurdle). Otherwise, just standard practice for any used car.

2. The N55 is actually quite willing to smack redline in my opinion, but maybe not as satisfying (or necessary) to do so as a typical Honda engine. It makes good torque down low, you'll get used to it fairly quickly. Otherwise, I would say the N55 is pretty reliable; cooling capacity may be an issue if you track your car though (more oil coolers!). Also, typical BMW cooling components (water pump, thermostat, lines) may be an issue for higher milage (but maybe that's expected w/ the high pressures these systems typically run). Carbon buildup seemed to be a big deal on the older N54 engines (08-10), but maybe not so prevalent on the N55 (typically of direct injection for any car).

3. My own car is a 6mt, but I've only heard high praise for the ZF 8sp (was actually just watching a Chris Harris review on the 435i, nothing but good things to say about how quickly it shifts).

4. I typically let mine get up to normal operating temp (~235 F) before romping on it; usually takes about 8-10 min of driving. Luckily there is an oil temp gauge (vs. coolant temp).

5. I will say that you'll loose some of that satisfaction of winding the engine out to redline from your s2k...BUT, the solid wall of torque that the 355i hits you with is thoroughly entertaining (whether it's a replacement or not will come down to the test drive).

Last edited by Lysol; 07-14-2018 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukaphillip View Post
With my Honda, I live above 6k RPM and the motor doesn't mind it a bit. I'm under the impression that I will have to treat this motor very differently.
You will, because with the gobs of torque there's no need for high revs unless you're in a really big hurry.
Quote:
How much of the reliability is exaggerated?
Probably 95%.
Quote:
What are your personal thoughts on the 8AT.
It has two more gears and shifts faster than you can.
Quote:
How long do you let the car warm up before taking it into the higher RPM.
You want to see the oil temperature hit at least 100 degrees to be sure it's sufficiently thinned.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Tyresian
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230xi

Being someone that went from a lighter sports car (2010 TTS), to a 2015 335xi MPPK, I'd ask if you need 4 doors. Otherwise I'd suggest going for a 2 series, I'm loving my 230xi so far more than I ever enjoyed my 335. And if you want more power those options are available but I think the lower weight is a bigger priority as they have more than enough power and mods available with more coming.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

I owned the S2000's big brother, an NSX. You'll love the BMW, it's much more relaxed to drive, and is basically as fast (but not as good handling) as the NSX. The MT is nice, but IMO the 8 speed auto is just as satisfying to drive, especially in a more relaxed mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Welcome to the community!

Adding a few items to consider to an already-great list from previous suggestions.

- Check all service records
- N55 is generally a reliable engine. Very small percentage of N55 engines were affected by excessive connecting road bearing wear. It can be identified by a faint "clickity-clack" sound at idle speed. BMW dealer can perform analysis of motor oil and detect an excessive amount of metal shavings. It's a rare problem.
- Inspect all major seals for any leaks, i.e. engine, transmission, differentials
- Inspect radiator for any damage by road debris
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
regpaq
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 AW

I've also had two s2ks and the f3x cars are much more refined machines, but it doesn't have has much of the fun factor. Going for a cruise in the s2k with the top down was much more eventful than going for a cruise in the f3x is. The driver-centric ergonomics are better in the s2k and because it's lower powered, it's much easier to drive to redline in the s2k while not going egregiously fast like you would in the f3x.

That said, the f3x is a huge step up in luxury, comfort, and torque. It's more daily driver friendly and is still fun to drive. I got a manual f32. Sometimes I wish I got the auto actual because the shifts are very fast in the auto and they make great sounds on up/down shifts that you can't replicate in a manual, but manual is still more engaging and fun to drive. I miss a bit of the rawness from the s2k and going to do some mods to the f32 to make it a bit more aggressive - downpipe, chargepipe, fmic, and stage 2 tune should liven it up a bit and make it a bit more loud.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

As an NSX owner, I would suggest trying to keep the s2k....the value is only going up on those things and the difference in driving dynamics is night and day.

I have the early model NSX coupe with the non power steering with manual five speed.
There is simply nothing else like that car, it is a street legal go-kart.

I recently picked up a 428i m-sport and absolutely love the car and was shocked how much pep a 4 banger has to offer.... the 8AT is butter smooth and just so much more comfortable then shifting, but I still love the manual in the NSX.

Also, if you like winding the gears the paddle shifters are great and the 428i with the smaller engine is easier to use all of the power band without alerting the authorities

The comfort creatures and the technology is also another good reason to get into a newer vehicle....love the luxury and comfort of the BMW, but it doesn't compare to the rawness one with the road feel that the NSX provides.

Keep the s2k and get a lightly used CPO is the way to go!!! Good luck with your search....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
suzukaphillip
Estoril Blue F30 335i
Rep

Thanks for the feedback!

I am feeling confident with the purchase. If I had the time / money / patience, I would probably wait for a manual transmission but I daily my S2000 and it is losing value as the miles go up. It is already at 117k miles. Getting rid of it now will probably be my best choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

I would strongly suggest a 340i, that engine loves high RPM like the S2000 the 335i has a dead zone.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
suzukaphillip
Estoril Blue F30 335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
I would strongly suggest a 340i, that engine loves high RPM like the S2000 the 335i has a dead zone.
Out of my budget.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:44 AM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
5. What general advice to you have for an S2000 owner making the switch?
Don't sell the S
Appreciate 1
jmg18654.00
      07-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #14
suzukaphillip
Estoril Blue F30 335i
Rep

Related question: The car I am looking at has 45k miles, meaning it has a factory warranty until 50k. Can I take it do a dealership and have them look at / service it before the warranty runs out or will I need a specific reason to come in.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Related question: The car I am looking at has 45k miles, meaning it has a factory warranty until 50k. Can I take it do a dealership and have them look at / service it before the warranty runs out or will I need a specific reason to come in.
Take it to an independent mechanic for a checkup and if there are issues that show up, take it to the dealer and ask them to fix them under warranty.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Given you're coming from an S2000 and assuming you don't need 4 doors, what about the M235? I've owned my mine since new (Feb 2016) and it's been extremely reliable. It's also extremely fun. I'm married and have a 9 y/o and 13 y/o and they love riding in the car. It's the perfect size. A total point and shoot type of sport-luxury car.

The M235 comes standard with the MPPK tune (about 2psi more than a 335/435, thus more power), M Sport steering wheel (same as the M2), M Sport seats (same as the M2), electronically adjustable dampers, stiffer springs, much better steering feel, extra oil and cooling capacity (they don't overheat during track use), and a more robust N55 that includes a forged crank (same one used in the M2/3/4) rather than cast.
      07-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
TCZ4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Convertible

There are a lot of previous S2K owners here! I too also owned two S2K's (02 and 06). You will absolutely love having torque. You won't need to thrash it as hard as the S2k to get up to speed, and around town cruising just became way more easier. Why go from 2 doors to 4? I recently picked up a 428i hardtop convertible and have been having a blast in it. If you don't need a backseat for adults, its the perfect mix of sport and some practicality. My toddler rides back there, so no issues for me.

In terms of reliability, just make sure you get an extended warranty and have piece of mind. Or in lieu of a warranty, set aside money for issues which are bound to come up. BMW's are not as reliable as the Honda for sure, but they aren't breaking down every day either.

I do miss driving a stick from time to time, but the 8AT in the 3/4 series are probably one of the best AT I've driven ever. The shifts are super fast in Sport/sport+ mode and in comfort mode, it is perfect for commuting.

Definitely let the engine get up to standard operating temp before hitting redline, as well as letting the engine cool down a bit before simply shutting it off after thrashing on it.

For straight up fun, I'd probably echo the above poster suggesting an M235i. Probably "closer" in nature and spirit that going from an S2k straight to a 4 door. I also had a Z4 in the mix which transitioned me from an S2k over to BMW.
      07-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Whenever you buy a used car always make certain to get a repurchase inspection from a reputable shop. If you are buying from BMW only purchase the certified used cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Also, I would search high and low for a N55 6MT to test drive before pulling the trigger on the 8AT. Yes, the 8AT is stellar in manual and Sport+ modes and is faster/quicker than the 6MT, BUT if you desire an engaging driving experience, you will likely grow tired of the 8AT after a year.

On the BMW forums, you constantly read about how people wished they opted for the 6MT after a few months. It is extremely rare you ever hear about a 6MT owner wishing they bought an auto.

The ONLY way I'd have the 8AT in the M235 is if I:

1) Was missing my left leg
2) I was competitively racing my M235 for money
      07-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #20
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Ps...you'll love the car plain and simple. Just be cautious and ask lots of questions, particularly ask if the car has ever been in an accident.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #21
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

The 335i is going to feel much bigger and heavier than the S2000, obviously. The 8AT is magical. You will have low end torque for DAYS with the 335. It will be mucho expensive to own and maintain in comparison. That is all

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

i have had 2 s2000 too (05 AP2V1 (GPW), 07 AP2V2 (LBP) before my 13 335 (6mt) and my current 15 435GC (8AT)

Let's just say F30 from 2014 is pretty soft. You will love the comfort and acceleration but you will miss the driving characteristics, feedback and fun factor of the s2000 dearly..
S2000 is not for everyone, but if you loved it, then you will miss it.
If you hated it then you will love the F30.

As far as the 8AT, it is the best Auto but no matter how fast it accelerates, it is never going to be the same as 6mt, especially S2000's 6mt. But definitely livable.
Appreciate 0