F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Upgrading pads (non brembo in rear) xp10?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Upgrading pads (non brembo in rear) xp10?

I have '14 m sport 335i. Front brembo, but not rear. Wanted pfc08, but they only have fronts and no tears for my application, so looking at carbotech xp10 all around. Will have 200tw most of the time at track. Just want a little better stopping power.

Upgrading from stoptech sport pads. I also use ate200 or motul rbf600 fluid.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherhef View Post
I have '14 m sport 335i. Front brembo, but not rear. Wanted pfc08, but they only have fronts and no tears for my application, so looking at carbotech xp10 all around. Will have 200tw most of the time at track. Just want a little better stopping power.

Thoughts?
Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing knows a ton about brake pads. Recommend contacting him for some options that maybe you haven't heard
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #3
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing knows a ton about brake pads. Recommend contacting him for some options that maybe you haven't heard
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
I'll look him up. Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #4
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Quote:
Please be sure to share what you find out. I'm not needed brakes anytime soon but it will be nice to know what's available, other than the StopTech Sports, which is what I have now
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2022, 06:44 PM   #5
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Quote:
Please be sure to share what you find out. I'm not needed brakes anytime soon but it will be nice to know what's available, other than the StopTech Sports, which is what I have now
Will do. I'm leaning towards carbotech xp10.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

In Australia it was impossible to find a decent pad for the rear non brembo calipers. Turned out easier for me to find a second hand mperformance brake kit just so I had better options for the rear…..

People sell just the rear brembos on eBay pretty cheap semi regularly. Worth considering
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2022, 11:16 PM   #7
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Previously I ran the Hawk Street/track pads. They are actually the DTC30 pads but with chamfered edges and a backing plate. They weren't enough pad for me with 200tw tires.
XP10 has turned out to be a great pad for me. I ran them front and rear 2 weeks ago. Very good stopping power, good initial bite, but never grabby. Still had excellent modulation, which made trail breaking very easy. I was breaking as well as any gt3 Porsche that day. Not sure about pad life yet, but so far not too bad. I should get at least 4 track days out of them.
I have the grey Brembo front caliper and the stock, m sport sliding rear calipers. But I upgraded the front to a 6 piston, 380mm Paragon track kit for the last event. The braking balance was still a little too much to the front, even with the xp10 front and rear. But that's because the rear now needs a bigger rotor to restore braking bias.
I definitely recommend the Carbotech XP10 to anyone. Love their feel. Even decent in the street when cold. Not too much noise. But a fair amount of dust. Definitely will be getting them again.
Just one more recommendation. Do at least RBF 660 fluid or better. With the stock grey Brembo calipers and 255 re71 tires, I easily boiled the RBF 600 flyid. The 660 held up, but needed a little bleeding pretty much every event. I've since moved on to Endless RF650. This fluid makes the pedal more firm, doesn't need bleeding after an event since it can handle high heat. Cost is a little high. But with less bleeding it should work out to be close to equal or maybe a little less per season.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 04:34 AM   #8
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Interesting on your observations on the brake fluid

RBF600 has a dry temp of 312 and wet of 205 Celsius
RBF660 has a dry temp of 325 and wet of 205 Celsius
Endless RF650 has a dry temp of 328 and wet of 218 Celsius

I honestly didn’t think it would make a huge difference between the three, but now am curious to try the Endless. Personally I never really saw much of a difference between the two motul options. But I bleed the brakes quite regularly out of habit.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Previously I ran the Hawk Street/track pads. They are actually the DTC30 pads but with chamfered edges and a backing plate. They weren't enough pad for me with 200tw tires.
XP10 has turned out to be a great pad for me. I ran them front and rear 2 weeks ago. Very good stopping power, good initial bite, but never grabby. Still had excellent modulation, which made trail breaking very easy. I was breaking as well as any gt3 Porsche that day. Not sure about pad life yet, but so far not too bad. I should get at least 4 track days out of them.
I have the grey Brembo front caliper and the stock, m sport sliding rear calipers. But I upgraded the front to a 6 piston, 380mm Paragon track kit for the last event. The braking balance was still a little too much to the front, even with the xp10 front and rear. But that's because the rear now needs a bigger rotor to restore braking bias.
I definitely recommend the Carbotech XP10 to anyone. Love their feel. Even decent in the street when cold. Not too much noise. But a fair amount of dust. Definitely will be getting them again.
Just one more recommendation. Do at least RBF 660 fluid or better. With the stock grey Brembo calipers and 255 re71 tires, I easily boiled the RBF 600 flyid. The 660 held up, but needed a little bleeding pretty much every event. I've since moved on to Endless RF650. This fluid makes the pedal more firm, doesn't need bleeding after an event since it can handle high heat. Cost is a little high. But with less bleeding it should work out to be close to equal or maybe a little less per season.
Good info. Crazy you boiled motul 600. Top speed on that track?
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 01:29 PM   #10
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good info. Crazy you boiled motul 600. Top speed on that track?
Yah, I didn't think I would either. It's been NJMP and Pocono. NJMP is nearly 130 down to 70 or slightly less. Plus a couple other spots of hard breaking over 100 on Thunderbolt. Lightning has 2 hard braking zones of 100+ and also nearly 130. This was on re71r tires and the stock 340mm brakes with no cooling and Brembo blanks. I added the lower control arm cooling duct and it helped some. Getting better at braking helped more. Between that and the 660 braking was better. But no where near as consistent as now.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 01:38 PM   #11
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
Interesting on your observations on the brake fluid

RBF600 has a dry temp of 312 and wet of 205 Celsius
RBF660 has a dry temp of 325 and wet of 205 Celsius
Endless RF650 has a dry temp of 328 and wet of 218 Celsius

I honestly didn’t think it would make a huge difference between the three, but now am curious to try the Endless. Personally I never really saw much of a difference between the two motul options. But I bleed the brakes quite regularly out of habit.
Yes. Stated performance and actual performance is not the same thing. If you do some searching there's a little info out there from people testing the actual performance of various performance brake fluids. In research found the 660 was pretty good. But SRF was much better dry Perfmance and only needing bleeding/flush once, maybe twice a year. The Endless rf650 is comparable to SRF in dry performance and stating only needing bleeding/flushing once a year from people's experiences. Not far off in price to SRF. But people with comparison experience stated they felt a more firm peddle with the Endless. Since that mattered a lot to me, I choose the Endless fluid.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 06:19 PM   #12
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Stated performance and actual performance is not the same thing. If you do some searching there's a little info out there from people testing the actual performance of various performance brake fluids. In research found the 660 was pretty good. But SRF was much better dry Perfmance and only needing bleeding/flush once, maybe twice a year. The Endless rf650 is comparable to SRF in dry performance and stating only needing bleeding/flushing once a year from people's experiences. Not far off in price to SRF. But people with comparison experience stated they felt a more firm peddle with the Endless. Since that mattered a lot to me, I choose the Endless fluid.
Yer that’s awesome to read, will defo try it out
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #13
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
In Australia it was impossible to find a decent pad for the rear non brembo calipers. Turned out easier for me to find a second hand mperformance brake kit just so I had better options for the rear…..

People sell just the rear brembos on eBay pretty cheap semi regularly. Worth considering
Not a bad idea. I'll look them up.
Appreciate 1