F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Engine stall on idle
proTUNING Freaks

02-22-2024, 07:38 PM   #1
Icey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Engine stall on idle

So I’m running stage 2+ (93 octane tune) FBO on my 2015 435i 8 speed stage 3 XHP
yesterday I went to go fill up on 93 octane gas and later in the day I’m leaving my neighborhood come to a complete stop, and my cars rpm drop and the cars about to stall but it doesn’t after that the whole day the car was fine, fast forward to today I’m driving maybe 10 min come to a complete stop car stalls start it up drives completely fine the whole day, any ideas ? LPFP? Bad fuel? Fuel rail pressure seems to be hitting 1300 on idle and over 2k on while driving
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:51 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

No codes in kinda weird if it stalled. Log WOT 4th gear pull and make sure fuel pressure holds. If the stalling is recurring/repeatable, try and log or at least monitor fuel pressure live and see if the car stalls because it loses fuel pressure.

If it only happens after getting gas there is the fuel tank vent valve thing but i am not sure if that causes these exact issues
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:45 PM   #3
Icey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
No codes in kinda weird if it stalled. Log WOT 4th gear pull and make sure fuel pressure holds. If the stalling is recurring/repeatable, try and log or at least monitor fuel pressure live and see if the car stalls because it loses fuel pressure.

If it only happens after getting gas there is the fuel tank vent valve thing but i am not sure if that causes these exact issues
Fuel pressure holds perfectly fine on 4th gear WOT, and did a run of 1-4th WOT no dips in fuel pressure
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 10:14 PM   #4
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Fuel pressure holds perfectly fine on 4th gear WOT, and did a run of 1-4th WOT no dips in fuel pressure
Did you fix this? I'm having the same issue all of a sudden.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 07:51 PM   #5
Zprado
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
So I’m running stage 2+ (93 octane tune) FBO on my 2015 435i 8 speed stage 3 XHP
yesterday I went to go fill up on 93 octane gas and later in the day I’m leaving my neighborhood come to a complete stop, and my cars rpm drop and the cars about to stall but it doesn’t after that the whole day the car was fine, fast forward to today I’m driving maybe 10 min come to a complete stop car stalls start it up drives completely fine the whole day, any ideas ? LPFP? Bad fuel? Fuel rail pressure seems to be hitting 1300 on idle and over 2k on while driving
Update on your issue ?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #6
fast135i91
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hello,

I am having the same issue. Same code 21a023. Same engine stall once I approach a red light and idle for a few seconds. Auto start stop disabled.

My 2015 335i started randomly stalling at idle after driving for at least 15-20 minutes. For instance, I drive for 15-20 minutes or more, and then stop at a red light, and after 10-15 seconds of idling, the car lightly stalls and kicks into Neutral gear position. Auto start/stop is off. And computer threw a few codes but did not set CEL (see pic). (Lightly stalls meaning no rough jerk with stall).

Also interesting, is that after it lightly stalls, it starts right back up no hesitation. No limp mode. No half engine light. No other symptoms. Full power is available. It stalled with BM3 OTS stage 1 ACN map. And it also stalls with stock map. Engine oil full. Gas above 1/2 tank, Chevron 91octane. No coolant leaks. No oil leaks. No overheating. No unusual noises.

Checking sensor data, alternator output is 25+ amps. Battery voltage is 14.5-14.7v while running. Battery state of charge is 98%. Again, no misfire nor driveability issues. This just started happening, and since it is my daily, I’d like to fix it as soon as possible. I was initially going to wait for a CEL to turn on if the problem got more consistent or worse.

128k fantastic miles. Stock intake. Catless DP.

Checked engine air filter and it’s dry and clean.
Checked around engine bay and no chewed wires or anything.

I was thinking it could be a EKPM3 or fuel pressure sensor since those both could possibly be faulty without setting a CEL. Just a guess.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0