F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > 2014 335xi dealer screwed up my build!
Extreme Powerhouse

10-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

2014 335xi dealer screwed up my build!

Hey all, I just picked up my new 335 only to find out that the dealer messed up and ordered it in an automatic! They've offered to let me drive this vehicle for the time that my correct 335 is being built. My question is this - am I out of line for thinking this is completely insane? They seem to think that they're doing me some favor by letting me drive a car that I didn't order for 8 weeks with no penalty, but the thing that really grinds my gears is that they've never admitted fault, and are offering no compensation for the inconvenience.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this, has this happened to anybody here?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Why on earth did u take the delivery of the car?

This is likely not going to be easy now that you have a car on contract, just my guess.

Too bad though, sorry to hear about the messup

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Same thing happened to me. Luckily I caught the mistake right after production. Was a complete mess. Not to bore you but here is how mine went down: Once I got the VIN number after production, thanks to these forums, I used one of those online vin decoders like bmwvin and saw the complete order list. Although it was mostly German, under transmission it clearly said "Auto" compared to "mech" which manual cars are listed as. My dealership told me not to trust those online things but I pushed it and asked him to show me my Vehicle Inquiry Report compared to other customers that had ordered a manual and auto so we could compare all 3. Ultimately I was right and they had to re-order a car. Did my checking of their VIR this time, so that checked out. Unfortunately, they only had a South Africa build and I wasted a bunch of weeks where the car wasn't going into production. When I pushed the dealer again for an explanation, he told me these things happen. Once again I kept pursuing it, and later found out there were strikes going on in South Africa. Cancelled the order. Am now awaiting delivery of my Munich build 6MT.

Terrible experience but I learned a lot. From now on, I will only buy a Munich build (no reason to wait an extra month even without a strike). I will also ask to check the VIR before we move forward.

I wouldn't take delivery of the wrong car unless they put in writing that you driving the car is by no means acceptance of the car. I'm sure they think they are just doing the right thing but make sure you cover yourself.

Ultimately mistakes happen. The big problem for the CA is that the Automatic is now "standard" and the manual is a "no cost option". This is made more confusing by the optional sport auto. They are just familiar with not adding an option for a manual as historically it has been standard. My lesson learned (and I am sure yours) is to do a detailed check of the order next time and not just trust the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
The big problem for the CA is that the Automatic is now "standard" and the manual is a "no cost option". This is made more confusing by the optional sport auto. They are just familiar with not adding an option for a manual as historically it has been standard. My lesson learned (and I am sure yours) is to do a detailed check of the order next time and not just trust the dealership.
Well that's what Dealers are here and get paid for. That's his Job to order the car the way a customer wants it. But I agree, most of them have no clue to the very details. All they bascally want is a contract. Will sort it out later...
I had to educate my dealer as well on all the options.

Funny that automatic is standard in the US and Manual a no cost option.
In Europe manual is still standard for the 335i and the automatic is an $ 3500.- option.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I took delivery of the car because I really didn't have an option, I needed a vehicle to drive. That being said, Ive got a written statement from the dealer stating that they will swap the car out for no charge with a manual.

Live and learn I guess, dealers really don't seem to give a rats *** about the customer.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

They order very few manuals. My CA ran a search for AWD manual transmission cars and he couldn't find any and definitely not equipped the way I wanted it (DHP, 19" wheels, etc). I'm sure they sell most of their cars as is right from the lot.

It's also not a secret that most of the members of these forums know more about these cars than the CAs do. For a lot of them this is just a job, not a passion. I haven't found a BMW CA yet that shares my interest for cars. That would make the buying experience so much better if I did. Anyway, enjoy the Automatic - many people here love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wait....it's a $3,500 option to get an automatic? I guess you missed that when they quoted you a price. That's a big uptick to get missed but I can see it happening. I assume you will also be given $3,500 back since you potentially paid for something that you are now not getting?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Wait....it's a $3,500 option to get an automatic? I guess you missed that when they quoted you a price. That's a big uptick to get missed but I can see it happening. I assume you will also be given $3,500 back since you potentially paid for something that you are now not getting?
I'm located in the US. oceanview stated that it's 3500 in europe... Also, I didn't miss it when they quoted me the price, everything was in line for a manual transmission, the build sheet states that and I have plenty of email evidence. The dealership has refused to take responsibility for their actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
In Europe manual is still standard for the 335i and the automatic is an $ 3500.- option.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

it sucks that they made that mistake........mistakes happen. I think they're handling the situation well.

letting you keep the car for 8 weeks and taking it back is going to cost them, but the fact that they suggested it is great.

Dont fret too much about not being compensated yet......when my car broke down....a few days later they called me to tell me they were going to give me $1k. Give it some time....if its around week 5 and they havent mentioned anything...suggest it to them. just say "hey how about some cool m-performance stuff, an exhaust or something to make me feel better"......in most cases they will do something for you
      10-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
it sucks that they made that mistake........mistakes happen. I think they're handling the situation well.

letting you keep the car for 8 weeks and taking it back is going to cost them, but the fact that they suggested it is great.

Dont fret too much about not being compensated yet......when my car broke down....a few days later they called me to tell me they were going to give me $1k. Give it some time....if its around week 5 and they havent mentioned anything...suggest it to them. just say "hey how about some cool m-performance stuff, an exhaust or something to make me feel better"......in most cases they will do something for you
Good to know, thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
E92Carrera
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon102034050 View Post
I'm located in the US. oceanview stated that it's 3500 in europe... Also, I didn't miss it when they quoted me the price, everything was in line for a manual transmission, the build sheet states that and I have plenty of email evidence. The dealership has refused to take responsibility for their actions.
The fact that they're ordering you a new car and letting you use the "old" car hardly says they are not taking responsibility for their actions. What do you want, the CA to sacrifice their 1st born?

I understand you're upset but if they didn't take responsibility they'd say "Nope, that's what you ordered, take it or leave it". And trust me there are dealers that would do just that.

2011 E92 Space Gray - M-Sport - Euro Delivery

2008 E92 Black Sapphire - Black Interior - Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I understand this, and I do appreciate it, but I see taking responsibility of their actions as owning up to the mistake and saying "we screwed this up". At no point has anybody said this to me. I realize life will go on, and it really just is what it is I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Carrera View Post
The fact that they're ordering you a new car and letting you use the "old" car hardly says they are not taking responsibility for their actions. What do you want, the CA to sacrifice their 1st born?

I understand you're upset but if they didn't take responsibility they'd say "Nope, that's what you ordered, take it or leave it". And trust me there are dealers that would do just that.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
jon102034050
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got an update here, finally somebody took responsibility for the mistake, owned up to it, and they offered me the PPK for no charge. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the end result
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Who are you George Costanza? Did you ever stretch out a neck hole? jk I understand.
Appreciate 0