F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VRSF Catted Downpipe Installed + Review
Extreme Powerhouse

01-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #177
Marq_z
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Fabspeed catted has the longest track record of guaranteed no CEL and emissions-ready state. I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and fitment was spot on (they actually have a QA check process which you will receive in the box). Note that fabspeed comes with the additional support bracket on the DP. Not sure about turner but some other vendors do not, in which case the vbands are the only thing that holds it in place and presumably that puts a lot of stress on the turbo outlet, especially with a 1 piece exhaust. I know plenty of people run this setup (e.g., VRSF), but the idea of that did not sit well with me for the long term, so i would not consider running any DP that does not have at least 1 support bracket.

From my experience, there was a nearly negligible change in exhaust volume from the stock to fabspeed cat change, with stock exhaust. Slightly louder on cold starts but only really noticeable if you are looking for it. Maybe slightly louder under hard acceleration but pretty much impossible to tell in a well-insulated cabin. However, the performance benefit is still substantial (fabspeed claims 93% the flow of their catless). Also, from what i have seen on other posts and videos, the sound difference between OEM and fabspeed will be more substantial when you have an aftermarket exhaust, most notably more turbo spool noise, which is all but muted with stock DP. This is probably true for the change from OEM to any catted DP unless it is very high cell.

The other aspect, smell - the fabspeed seems to almost smell less than OEM on cold starts (maybe it reaches operating temp faster?), and zero increase in fuel/other odors compared to stock in all other conditions.

Also i would note that fabspeed base price is $1400, so unless you are able to stack some sales (which are kindof rare), the difference between the two will be more significant.

EDIT: I see you are in CA. with a 2012 you will need to pass emissions in 2020. That is a major consideration for the fabspeed. I don't think turner will pass emissions (to be confirmed).

Thanks for the great information and insight Seems like choosing a DP is a tough choice especially with so many different ones out now. I think personally I'd like to avoid having to change the DP out every time smog comes around, so having a high flow DP that doesn't throw a CEL is probably worth the amount that the Fabspeed costs. I've put one on my wish list for now and will probably be the finishing touch to my FBO build.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #178
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq_z View Post
Thanks for the great information and insight Seems like choosing a DP is a tough choice especially with so many different ones out now. I think personally I'd like to avoid having to change the DP out every time smog comes around, so having a high flow DP that doesn't throw a CEL is probably worth the amount that the Fabspeed costs. I've put one on my wish list for now and will probably be the finishing touch to my FBO build.
NP. You might also want to consider/look into the newly released AA as it should be emission compliant (guaranteed by AA), is a little cheaper than fabspeed, and probably has basically the same performance for a stock turbo application. Definitely not the track record/history of fabspeed since it is brand new, but AA themselves are a very reputable company so i wouldnt really have a problem trusting their product if price was a major concern.
Appreciate 1
Marq_z9.00
      01-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #179
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
NP. You might also want to consider/look into the newly released AA as it should be emission compliant (guaranteed by AA), is a little cheaper than fabspeed, and probably has basically the same performance for a stock turbo application. Definitely not the track record/history of fabspeed since it is brand new, but AA themselves are a very reputable company so i wouldnt really have a problem trusting their product if price was a major concern.
Good point, these were just released and are available now.
Appreciate 1
Marq_z9.00
      01-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #180
NCG80M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [5.00]
2019 BMW M5 Competi ...  [9.65]
Quote:
New F30 335 owner here. What's been your experience with the Turner DP so far in terms of fitment/performance/sound? Also, same question for anyone with a Fabspeed DP. $500 to $1,100 seems like a big jump in price. Thanks!
Peformance and sound have both been positive. I will say that the cold start is louder than before. The fitment was spot on and it does have the support bracket. The desgin of the Turner DP is very similar to the Wagner DP. It will throw a CEL but their tune removes it. In my state you can have 1 not ready so we shall see when i have to do my next inspection.
Appreciate 1
Marq_z9.00
      01-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #181
Marq_z
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZHP View Post
Quote:
New F30 335 owner here. What's been your experience with the Turner DP so far in terms of fitment/performance/sound? Also, same question for anyone with a Fabspeed DP. $500 to $1,100 seems like a big jump in price. Thanks!
Peformance and sound have both been positive. I will say that the cold start is louder than before. The fitment was spot on and it does have the support bracket. The desgin of the Turner DP is very similar to the Wagner DP. It will throw a CEL but their tune removes it. In my state you can have 1 not ready so we shall see when i have to do my next inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
Good point, these were just released and are available now.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think for my purposes I'd stick with a no CEL catted DP otherwise I'd just go full catless for the added power gains. The AA definitely seems to be a contender, especially given it's a few hundred $ less than the fabspeed. However, there doesn't seem to be much info on it yet so I'm not sure how AA's claims hold.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #182
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think for my purposes I'd stick with a no CEL catted DP otherwise I'd just go full catless for the added power gains. The AA definitely seems to be a contender, especially given it's a fee hundred $ less than the fabspeed. However, there doesn't seem to be much info on it yet so I'm not sure how AA's claims hold.
They are relatively new still however AA is strongly confident about their claims.
Appreciate 1
Marq_z9.00
      01-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #183
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think for my purposes I'd stick with a no CEL catted DP otherwise I'd just go full catless for the added power gains. The AA definitely seems to be a contender, especially given it's a few hundred $ less than the fabspeed. However, there doesn't seem to be much info on it yet so I'm not sure how AA's claims hold.
This is basically how i made my decision - go full catless or get a high quality catted that will guarantee no CEL and pass emissions. Although the other small consideration if you are not in an emission state is the smell. You can get a catted for relatively cheap that will not pass emissions but will eliminate most of the smell.

I too didn't want to be the guinea pig for AA, and the price difference was less during BF sales, so i went fabspeed. Another member here just installed AA so maybe ask his experience? Usually if you are going to get a CEL, it happens after the first few hard pulls, especially if tuned. As mentioned by Jeff and the fact that AA is actually EPA certified, i wouldn't really have any doubt their DP will pass emissions and not produce a CEL.
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #184
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I have the VRSF catted DP. For the price you cannot beat it. Install was somewhat difficult on ramps but it seems to work fine. Even though I am in a non emissions state I did not want the raw gas smell.
Appreciate 2
Marq_z9.00
ctt30047.00
      02-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #185
F36tico
BMW family
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC

Checking to see if anyone knows of the revision is done? I kept getting 12a308 code with catted/OEM option enabled or disabled, and eventually the CEL came on. With the tune should remove/clear. I contacted MHD and they said either a bad sensor or spacer. Ironically these DP come with a spacer that I used. Two issues I see the wires might be too short and position of hole the sensor might hit the firewall.

Has anyone had any issues with install not using the spacer or with?

I have a 2016 435i f36
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #186
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I have the VRSF catted DP. For the price you cannot beat it. Install was somewhat difficult on ramps but it seems to work fine. Even though I am in a non emissions state I did not want the raw gas smell.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #187
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Hi all,

Is the RHD version of the pipe out yet? I have an RHD 2014 F36, very keen to get this pipe.

If not, any eta?

Cheers.
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #188
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Commando View Post
Hi all,

Is the RHD version of the pipe out yet? I have an RHD 2014 F36, very keen to get this pipe.

If not, any eta?

Cheers.
Did VRSF post about working on a RHD version?

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 10:40 PM   #189
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Did VRSF post about working on a RHD version?
Yes, earlier in this thread.
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #190
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
The RHD revision is complete. We have about a dozen customers running our revised cat without a catless code at the moment but it's still too soon to jump the gun. I'll post an update within the next couple of weeks after we get more feedback
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #191
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The RHD revision is complete. We have about a dozen customers running our revised cat without a catless code at the moment but it's still too soon to jump the gun. I'll post an update within the next couple of weeks after we get more feedback

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #192
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mate are you able to give a tentative estimate on when the RHD versions would be available for sale?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #193
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The RHD version of our catless pipes are available now, the catted version arrives next week!
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #194
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The RHD version of our catless pipes are available now, the catted version arrives next week!
Link?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #195
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-cerami...2-f33-f88.html
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #196
Marq_z
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mate are you able to give a tentative estimate on when the RHD versions would be available for sale?
Since my last post I've had some time to think and I've decided to go catless. What about adding a bracket to your DPs? Will this ever happen? This is the only thing stopping me from buying vrsf.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #197
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since my last post I've had some time to think and I've decided to go catless. What about adding a bracket to your DPs? Will this ever happen? This is the only thing stopping me from buying vrsf.
Pm. I have one with a bracket in the classifieds
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 10:38 PM   #198
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mate sent you a PM regarding order.
Appreciate 0